Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone share what winter is like in Adelaide (specifically July-October). What are people usually wearing (wool coats and boots or light raincoats and sneakers). I just want to get an idea what kind of clothes to bring. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can anyone share what winter is like in Adelaide (specifically July-October). What are people usually wearing (wool coats and boots or light raincoats and sneakers). I just want to get an idea what kind of clothes to bring. Thanks!
snow doesnt fall, bring thick clothes, sneakers. nothing close to canada winter here!

·
Registered
240 Posts
You will probably find it much colder inside than you are used to anywhere in southern Australia in winter. Most people do not have proper central heating and double glazed windows are rare. If you are staying at hotels it is not a problem as they are heated. You could find yourself at a cafe at night which has the doors open and it can be cold. The winters are short and we generally prefer to spend money on cooling, not heating.
If you are staying in a private home you could need warm clothes for inside. I cannot sleep properly at night overseas in winter as I am used to sleeping in a cold room!!

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Boots are not necessary. Winter weather here is like autumn weather in much of Canada. Rain jackets, fleece/wool jumpers (sweaters), wool socks, and a good warm jacket should be plenty. In Adelaide the lows are around 7-8 C so for most Canadians that should be fairly tolerable. It does rain though and as someone else said, you will be cold indoors since most Australian houses are really poorly insulated and/or lack heating in all but one or two rooms. We have a small portable heater in the bedroom and an electric blanket, pretty much a must if you don't want to freeze indoors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts