Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone affected by the UK Government's decision to remove Winter Fuel Payment from expats in so-called "hot" countries (France, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Malta, Cyprus and Gibraltar) there is a petition at: Stop the Governments victimisation of pensioners living abroad who have contributed to the welfare state by withdrawing their winter fuel payment - e-petitions that needs 10,000 signatures to prompt a Government response. The petition currently has over 8,300 signatures (having doubled in signatories in the last week!). Do not be complacent over this issue - if the Government gets away with this, what will they target expats for next? Thank you.
Stop the Governments victimisation of pensioners living abroad who have contributed to the...
epetitions.direct.gov.uk
Many pensioners have decided to move abroad whilst still remaining UK citizens, All of these pensioners have contributed to the welfare state via taxes and national insurance throughout their working lives I believe

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
Cuts in benefits are hitting people in different ways, so loosing this payout was going to happen sooner or later.

I don't see it as victimisation of pensioners abroad but more a reflection on the massive reduction in benefits as a whole. The government won't listen to people living in the UK so really I don't think there is a hope in hell of them back tracking on this issue. Good luck though.

·
Banned
642 Posts
I donate mine to the RSPA because I don't need it even though I am a UK resident, I find begging for something that you quite clearly should not have very strange.

·
Registered
915 Posts
This is not about victimisation of pensioners, this is about a cost cutting exercise from a government trying to save money, trying to reduce the deficit and trying to get re-elected. They have cut so much of the welfare budget in the UK. Many people are suffering as a a result. The government argument about living in sun drenched Spain is a poor one. Much of Spain does have lots of sun, but much of Europe is colder than the UK in winter.

As for a petition, you can but try, but many UK residents agree with the government on this issue. I fear it is a case of grinning and bearing it and get on with life.

The winter fuel allowance amounts to the equivalent of just £5 a week less tax which is payable in Spain, though many expats may have forgotten about that fact.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts