Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A payment has just arrived into our Spanish bank and we are not sure what it is.

The statement just says 'Transfer from Worldlink'. The amount is approximately the euro equivalent of 187 GBP :confused:

Has anyone else received such a payment? Is it the Winter fuel allowance - if so why did it say Worldlink?

I thought this allowance was no longer being paid to people in Spain.

·
Registered
915 Posts
A payment has just arrived into our Spanish bank and we are not sure what it is.

The statement just says 'Transfer from Worldlink'. The amount is approximately the euro equivalent of 187 GBP :confused:

Has anyone else received such a payment? Is it the Winter fuel allowance - if so why did it say Worldlink?

Yes, we received that in our bank account. The winter fuel allowance, I multiplied that by the rate of exchange and it worked out to the correct amount

·
Registered
6,024 Posts

... it hasn't been stopped yet!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, we received that in our bank account. The winter fuel allowance, I multiplied that by the rate of exchange and it worked out to the correct amount
No,got mine last week as well.Also have rung Newcastle and they informed me that we would even be getting it next year.Just in the process of having our wood deliver for the winter.
Aron, soulboy, did yours appear as 'Transfer from Worldlink'?

Also ours was €223.34 which at current exchange rate I estimate at about £187 not £200.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Aron, soulboy, did yours appear as 'Transfer from Worldlink'?

Also ours was €223.34 which at current exchange rate I estimate at about £187 not £200.
I got £238 which was the exact amount for the exchange rate which was £1.19 euros to the pound. The exchange rate does fluctuate occasionally. It was from Worldlink.

·
Registered
881 Posts
A silly question, what happens if some UK expats move to Acapulco, where the weather never gets down below 90 degrees.... even in winter... would they still receive this winter fuel thing?

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
A silly question, what happens if some UK expats move to Acapulco, where the weather never gets down below 90 degrees.... even in winter... would they still receive this winter fuel thing?
I believe it is only for ex pats in Europe. I get it and I live in the sunny Canaries:)

·
Registered
915 Posts
It's a benefit that expats in Europe have a right to receive. We all paid into the system through our working lives. The EU have said that all expats over 60 should receive this benefit. However, the UK government is planning to withdraw this benefit for those living in warmer countries than the UK. In reality, it is nothing to do with that. The UK government is cutting benefits in the UK and there are many there who are suffering. It is a cost cutting exercise. Winter fuel allowances will be paid next year, but after that it is due to end.

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
Aron;2475649[B said:
]It's a benefit that expats in Europe have a right to receive[/B]. We all paid into the system through our working lives. The EU have said that all expats over 60 should receive this benefit. However, the UK government is planning to withdraw this benefit for those living in warmer countries than the UK. In reality, it is nothing to do with that. The UK government is cutting benefits in the UK and there are many there who are suffering. It is a cost cutting exercise. Winter fuel allowances will be paid next year, but after that it is due to end.
Not really, you choose to live in a country that broadly speaking is warmer overall than the UK then sorry but....you have no right for the payment; in fact I think its taking the pee to be honest and the quicker this drain on the UK tax payer is finished the better.

You want the winter fuel payment? Move back to the UK; you've a bloody nerve asking for it in Spain:rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
Not really, you choose to live in a country that broadly speaking is warmer overall than the UK then sorry but....you have no right for the payment; in fact I think its taking the pee to be honest and the quicker this drain on the UK tax payer is finished the better.

You want the winter fuel payment? Move back to the UK; you've a bloody nerve asking for it in Spain:rolleyes:
Not a very civil reply Bob, still you know that.

Drain on the UK tax payer ?, in the scale of public spending it hardly moves the needle, billions would but not this few million.

I fancy that "most" expats have never be as cold in the winter months & came as shock after the average cosy UK house.

·
Registered
915 Posts

I have a right for the payment, that is why I get it. Whether I need it or not is another issue. My belief is, there are just as many people in the UK as there are in Spain who don't need this benefit and there are many more pensioners living in poverty who do need more. However, if we all lost it, please don't expect the government to increase those more deserving because this government will not do that. They are trying to reduce the deficit in every way.
Please bear in mind, I do not need to use inappropriate language to express my point of view!

·
Registered
4,055 Posts

I have to disagree, I pay a shed loads of tax in the U.K., other than O.A.P., I get nothing whatsoever in return, I needed an urgent eye examination, whilst in the U.K. it cost me 350 sterling.

Therefore if the Bumbling Buffoons in the U.K. government want to pay me 200 sterling winter fuel allowance, and a 10 pound Christmas allowance, I shall with great satisfaction accept the same.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I believe it is only for ex pats in Europe. I get it and I live in the sunny Canaries:)
It is also paid to people in countries that belong to European countries, but are not in Europe, such as Martinique, (I think it is a Caribbean island, or somewhere hot anyway,) )that belongs to France. I've lost the list of eligible countries, but it is surprising who IS entitled to it!

·
Registered
958 Posts

Do you know Bobetty Bob you are absolutely right.You have made me feel really guilty.So much so I have just written a cheque out for 200pounds and sent it to Newcastle to return my winter fuel allowance.In your wildest dreams.I think I see a bit of jealousy creeping in here.:whoo::whoo::whoo:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Bob Bob... £200 if put to its intended use doesn't come anywhere near payment of, or towards, my fuel bills for the entire winter period. Our heating has been on between 18 hours and 24 hours a day since mid October to counteract the the freezing temps encountered especially during the night. Strangely enough my leccy bill for the two monthly Oct/Nov accounting period was 238€. I estimate my next two bills will be the same or greater.

WFA should be seen for what it is... a hastily cobbled together State Pension increase when the government of the time had said there would be no increase in pensions. It was a political vote catcher... They had to call it something so they called it the Winter Fuel Allowance. The reason it's payable at 60 is because at the time of it's introduction, 60 was the official retirement age for the ladies, but for the Treasury department and the Pensions people it was more cost effective to make it payable to all.

The Camer-Clegg Government (like its predecessor) and the Opposition would like cancel it across the board, but they cannot do that. The EU wont let them under any guise. What they can do however is make it as difficult as possible to initially qualify and continue to qualify under rules that were not in place at the time of its introduction.

I paid UK tax and NI for 50 years before retiring and consider this 'benefit' to be a right not to be pi**ed around with by people who are completely out of touch with the 'commoners.'

Spain should never be considered to be a 'hot' country; it may be a lot warmer than the UK in July and August, but the winters here especially away from the coast can be bitterly cold.

For the last month it has been warmer, day and night, in Portsmouth every day than here in the Granada campo. If Spain is so hot why am I having to use De-Icer on the car every time I need to use it?

If the bean-counters in Whitehall and in Government want to cancel WFA here, maybe they should think of cancelling it also for people living South of a line from the Severn to the Thames...

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
But you have left the UK, transfer pensions fine, its only right but to expect a winter fuel allowance is ludicrous.

Soulboy, no jealousy here, my trips abroad are limited by my health but (like Hepa) I pay a lot of tax in the UK and regardless of income I'd simply not have the nerve to expect UK taxpayers to help fund my lifestyle abroad (other than pensions).

Thankfully I don't need £200 but I started planning my retirement when I was 18 and got my first pay packet.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Bob Bob...

... you choose to live in a country that broadly speaking is warmer overall than the UK
Come over here right now but be sure to bring your thermals... its currently 3C at Granada Airport and 8C in Southsea... night time temps here will remain between +3 and -5C until the end of February at least...

......you have no right for the payment;(my bold)... in fact I think its taking the pee to be honest and the quicker this drain on the UK tax payer is finished the better.
...to expect a winter fuel allowance is ludicrous.
I really don't see your problem and your argument won't get much support on this or any other forum. incidentally I got my first wage packet at age 15... and paid tax and NI for 50 years... never a minute on the dole or claiming any UK benefit.

As I said the WFA was a back door, clumsy way of giving pensioners an increase in their pension. If I was single, living in the UK, I'd have my bus pass, my council tax subsidised, and my rent paid, if I chose to rent somewhere, all of which costs a hell of a lot more than a lousy £200 cash payment.

I have absolutely no argument with Eastern Europeans emigrating into the UK; they tend to do jobs which your average Brit would consider 'not worth getting out of bed for;' Refuse Disposal, Bus Driving, working at Amazon, all of which pay maybe a penny or two above the minimum wage. I was made redundant at 62, I'd been with the same aerospace company for 15 years, commuting 120 miles a day, sometimes 7 days a week with no travel allowance (475,000 miles in total). Then I found myself on the scrapheap due in no small part to the government cancellation of several major defence contracts.
I tried desperately to get another job; couldn't even qualify for Jobseekers Allowance because my two small private pension payable at age 60, both taxed, put me just slightly above the £8K above cut-off point. Trying to live on £8K pa proved impossible. There was no other work available in my profession where ageism was and still prevalent.

In desperation I signed up and paid for, privately, for bus driver training on £8 per hour. The only alternatives on offer were as a shelf stacker at Tesco or a meeter / greeter at B & Q at the then minimum wage of under £6 per hour. I got a job with the local bus company...

OH and I had had big dreams of moving out here upon retirement... all went by the board and I was using my savings such as they were, to pay the mortgage and council tax. Having been rammed by a BMW that sped off in a hit and run, had my bus vandalised by Yobbos chucking bricks through the windscreen, been cursed and spat at for late running due to Pompey's insane traffic system I decided to call it quits. I grabbed what was left of my savings and bought a tiny and I mean tiny, (no patio, no garden, no land), village house out here in Granada. With the situation the way it was we had little choice. We moved as soon as I sold the UK house and settled the mortgage. UK house prices had tumbled and we didn't get anything like what we expected but holding out was not an option. What little we did make went on the move and the refurbishment of the house we now own outright.

WFA is NOT and never was intended to support our Winter Fuel bills; it is now what it was at the time of it's introduction, a back door political move, an annual bribe, a sop to try to win votes among those pensioners who were already suffering the 'slings and arrows of the UK's outrageous fortune.'

Since many like minded pensioners saw the light around 2005 / 2006 and got the hell out of Dodge, they either cannot or do not vote in the UK elections. And what would be the point anyway? Tory (Right Wing) or New Labour (slightly less right wing)... both are hell bent on destroying the UK by fair means or foul but they are so blinkered in their ideals that they just don't see it. Neither give a damn about the electorate, They can't lose; in most cases their expense accounts bring in more than the UK national average salary...

So don't talk to me about entitlement; you are addressing totally the wrong person.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts