Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
I just upgraded from win10 to win11. Everything was smooth until I tried accessing the internet. I have no connections to internet. My wireless printer wouldn't not work. It took me 2 hours trying to get win11 to work, I tried all settings and still a problem. I restarted my computer 2 times and still no help. I spent about an hour trying different settings and no help. I tried restarting my computer again and i saw my internet icon come on. Now everything works just fine. I have no ideal what was wrong. I am an advanced user and I have no ideal why win11 did this. It had to be a glitch in the programing.

So, if anybody installs win11 from win10 and have a problem just try restarting several times. I even tried a reset to all my settings to factory and that didn't help. The only thing i can figure is the 3rd time I restarted my computer it corrected the settings in the window programing.

They did change a lot of the settings in open window boxes. They changed a lot of the wording on instructions and etc. I don't see where it is worth moving to win11.
art

·
Registered
478 Posts
hey amcan13

I installed win11 yesterday. After messing with it for 3 hours trying to get the internet to work I finally got win11 working. It seems to be a little faster then win10 when loading apps. I will see what happens after a few days using it.

art

·
Registered
478 Posts
well guys---I am impressed with win11 so far. It is faster and all the pics are much brighter and sharper. I am not sure all the changes Microsoft has made in win11. I do know the format has changed. When opening a window it is different from win10. I will update as I find things or have a problem.

I found out why my screen is so much brighter and sharper. Win11 is using what they call HDR format. called (High-dynamic-range) I don't know if this will work on older computers.
art

·
Registered
478 Posts
I just read that win10 users are getting the win11 free, but not all win10 users will qualify. I was lucky I bought this computer with win10 already installed about 1 year ago. I got the win11 free with the download yesterday and it installed automatically. They changed the start window. I don't really believe they changed to much other then make it look different. the biggest change is the HDR support for the screen. The screen is really sharp and the test is crystal clear. But, I don't know about older monitors.

Art

·
Registered
362 Posts
The requirement for a TPM chip will prevent many older PCs from being able to upgrade.
A TPM chip is a secure crypto-processor that is designed to carry out cryptographic operations.

Minimum Requirements: Windows 11 Specs and System Requirements | Microsoft

Your device must be running Windows 10, version 2004 or later, to upgrade. Free updates are available through Windows Update in Settings>Update and Security.

Processor
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with 2 or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or System on a Chip (SoC).

RAM
4 gigabyte (GB).

Storage
64 GB or larger storage device Note: See below under “More information on storage space to keep Windows 11 up-to-date” for more details.

System firmware
UEFI, Secure Boot capable. Check here for information on how your PC might be able to meet this requirement.

TPM
Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0. Check here for instructions on how your PC might be enabled to meet this requirement.

Graphics card
Compatible with DirectX 12 or later with WDDM 2.0 driver.

Display
High definition (720p) display that is greater than 9” diagonally, 8 bits per color channel.

Internet connection and Microsoft account
Windows 11 Home edition requires internet connectivity and a Microsoft account.
Switching a device out of Windows 11 Home in S mode also requires internet connectivity.
For all Windows 11 editions, internet access is required to perform updates and to download and take advantage of some features. A Microsoft account is required for some features.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm a mac user, the only thing I use my windows PC for is to connect to my TV via HDMI to watch Rugby League from the internet.
It will stay on win10 until it dies.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I haven't had any problems with win11 after getting it installed and working properly. I never figured out why I had the internet connection problem right after the installation of win11. I could not access my wireless printer either. But now everything works great. This version is fast and the clarity of the text is really sharp.

HAS ANYBODY ELSE INSTALLED WIN11?

Art

·
Registered
478 Posts
this makes twice after turning computer off and back on that I could not connect to the internet or my wireless printer. After messing with the computer for awhile I connected to the internet. I am not sure what is going on. It might be a problem in win11. Not sure if it is now. If anybody else has problems with win11, please let me know.

art

·
Registered
478 Posts
I don't see much difference from win10 to win11. All I see is to be faster and the text is sharper. I don't think that is a good reason to upgrade. Everything seems to be working now. My internet automatically connects now and my wireless printer is working okay also. I am really surprised that Microsoft released this version and didn't make big changes. I wouldn't gamble upgrading an older computer from win10 to win11. You might get a glitch and have no windows working at all.

art

·
Super Moderator
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I don't see much difference from win10 to win11. All I see is to be faster and the text is sharper. I don't think that is a good reason to upgrade. Everything seems to be working now. My internet automatically connects now and my wireless printer is working okay also. I am really surprised that Microsoft released this version and didn't make big changes. I wouldn't gamble upgrading an older computer from win10 to win11. You might get a glitch and have no windows working at all.

art
Thank you Art for the updates. I might take my computer in today if it's open, so many rules now getting set in place with the quarantine it's ever-evolving in the wrong direction.

That was the main reason why I downloaded an app that scans documents and photos because our computer spots were shut down, the only places open were the pharmacies that had a lousy printer no scanner. Now if I can get my wife to leave the computer alone for just a while, I also will download all the important documents and photos now.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Support for Windows 10 will end on Oct. 14, 2025.
That means Microsoft will no longer provide security patches or feature updates after that date.
The only people who have until 2029 are the few Windows 10 Enterprise Long Term Support users.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Tiz

Well, that is not unusual for Microsoft to stop supporting older versions of windows. that has been going on since DOS. I go back as far as DOS (disk operating system) and then we had to know commands to operate it, such as delete, copy, move, rename and etc. Bill Gates from Microsoft had IBM to develop the DOS. I used it for about 1 years before win 3.0 came out. then from there on they kept developing newer version all the way up to win11. Win 3.0 started to make things easier to do that was written into the program. Bill gates came to our computer club (Central Florida Computer Society) and talked about things that was in the works then. I believe Paul Allen pulled out right before Bill Gates had IBM to develop DOS. Paul Allen didn't see the future in Microsoft like Bill gates did.

Art

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hey mark,

I don't think most users will even use these features in windows 11. I can't believe they spent all this money and time to make such small changes.

It is a lot faster and the clarity of the screen and text is great!

I copied this from their site. i added (who cares)

What’s New in Windows 11?
  • A new Start menu in the center (who cares)
  • New Snap Assistant Controls (who cares)
  • One big update a year
  • A new Microsoft Store (who cares)
  • Android apps-support in Windows 11
  • Widgets and Teams on the taskbar (who cares)
art

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I thought windows 10 was meant to be the end all be all. Then they found they could all go home with nothing more to do.

·
Registered
478 Posts
hey Gary

I think it was a waste of time and money to put out win11. Like I said the only real feature is the HDR format that really makes the screen and text real sharp. I listed the changes in the other post. Who cares about some of them. Like the start menu is in the center. WOW! Who cares.

art

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think they are running out of features to include in windows. I been using windows since they had DOS that IBM developed for Microsoft. I have had every version that they put out.

art

·
Registered
86 Posts
A lot of the changes are typically to align to other products and to improve business usage.
Tech software and hardware needs to have built in obsolescence or they would never make any money. Cel phones are the best example, I fail to see real upgrades that justify the cost of new phones but they get you by stopping the OS security upgrades and making applications have security holes or just stop working.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think they just corrected a lot of things that were bad in win10 and called this win11. This version seems to run smoother then win10 once I got it working properly. Maybe they will incorporate new features when they do a yearly update. I do like it better then win10. Seems to be faster and the clarity of the text is great. If you read the post I made about the new features you will see most are worthless.

I wouldn't pay for the win11 version or get a another phone to work with win11. the upgrades are not worth it.

Art

21 - 39 of 39 Posts