Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm in an apartment in Nicosia and thought it was going to blow over last night!! Was there a mini tornado or something?

At least all the African dust has blown away though and i have my view back ;-)

z

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hello,

I'm in an apartment in Nicosia and thought it was going to blow over last night!! Was there a mini tornado or something?

At least all the African dust has blown away though and i have my view back ;-)

z
Hi Z,

It was very windy last night. I didn't hear anything about a tornado, but high winds are not uncommon here, in my opinion. In the weather reports instead of giving us wind as miles per hour they say "bofors" whatever that is- I guess so that nobody can figure out how windy it is.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi Z,

It was very windy last night. I didn't hear anything about a tornado, but high winds are not uncommon here, in my opinion. In the weather reports instead of giving us wind as miles per hour they say "bofors" whatever that is- I guess so that nobody can figure out how windy it is.
Having witnessed (and driven through) two tornados (one in Larnaca) and one in Strovolos (which is dialect for whirlwind - a clue that high winds are perfectly normal) I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a tornado last night. I did see the cloud base rotating before it got too dark to see, but it probably didn't touch down as there wasn't too much damage as far as I could see this morning, whereas last time a major tornado hit (18th September 2009) there were literally hundreds of uprooted trees, dozens of smashed up cars and bits of roof and debris everywhere and parts of Strovolos resembled a war zone. There was a mini tornado a couple of weekends ago which ripped the concrete roof off an appartment block (in Latsia I think) and totalled a couple of cars parked beneath. And people think it's always sunny in Cyprus!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Hi Z,

In the weather reports instead of giving us wind as miles per hour they say "bofors" whatever that is- .
It relates to the Beaufort Scale, an accepted way of measuring wind speed/strength that dates back to the 19th Century. The BBC has a good description on their weather centre pages. Tornados are measured on the Fujita scale which relates to how destructive a tornado is. Just do a web search for Beaufort Scale and Fujita Scale if you want to know more

·
Registered
650 Posts
It relates to the Beaufort Scale, an accepted way of measuring wind speed/strength that dates back to the 19th Century. The BBC has a good description on their weather centre pages. Tornados are measured on the Fujita scale which relates to how destructive a tornado is. Just do a web search for Beaufort Scale and Fujita Scale if you want to know more
Thanks Babs, I will look into that right away.

Dina

·
Registered
650 Posts
Thanks Babs, I will look into that right away.

Dina
Very interesting. It goes up to the beginning of hurricane strength winds. Thanks for the spelling too, the way they were pronouncing it I would never have been able to find it. At least now I'll be able to figure out how windy it is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.