Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here is the scenario , one friend of mine used to live in Melbourne , he now left Melbourne, & he got bad debt with ato of 10,000$ , though he didn't receive any emails from ato yet & his Asian gf spend all his credit card money on gambling , he do get email from the bank to pay the money bank though , he is now considering to come back to Melbourne on 190,489 visa , his main concern is that does his previous mistakes make any effect while applying for the visa , does it comes negative on afp police check certificate & does he get stop at the airport by the dbip of does he didn't get visa , any help would be much appreciated , he is more than happy to pay all his debts back , but he wants to be sure first

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Ok so here is the scenario , one friend of mine used to live in Melbourne , he now left Melbourne, & he got bad debt with ato of 10,000$ , though he didn't receive any emails from ato yet & his Asian gf spend all his credit card money on gambling , he do get email from the bank to pay the money bank though , he is now considering to come back to Melbourne on 190,489 visa , his main concern is that does his previous mistakes make any effect while applying for the visa , does it comes negative on afp police check certificate & does he get stop at the airport by the dbip of does he didn't get visa , any help would be much appreciated , he is more than happy to pay all his debts back , but he wants to be sure first
If he can pay it, then its all good. Not paying debt is not a criminal activity especially for an amount of only 10k as far as I know. It won't have any affect on AFP PCC as they are only interested in criminal record.

For other matters, better see an immigration lawyer.

·
Registered
577 Posts
As suggested by zaback, ask him to pay off the debt before proceeding. Outstanding debt is a criminal offence, whether applying for an Aus visa or otherwise; unless he is planning to wilfully default on his debt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
or should he can ask ato to do check on his name whether he is in ther bad debt history or not , as far as bank is concerned he is happy to do the settlement for this remaining amount with the bank

·
Registered
577 Posts
or should he can ask ato to do check on his name whether he is in ther bad debt history or not , as far as bank is concerned he is happy to do the settlement for this remaining amount with the bank
Yes he can check with ATO, as well as with the bank. Make sure he can get his credit report from a credit agency like Dun & Bradstreet to get an idea if its reflected there. As well as get an AFP PCC; see if anything comes up, though unlikely. It will cost less than AUD 50 and a couple of days to receive it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks , if he bad a bad credit ratings on dun & Bradstreet , does it effects for him to apply for the visa as he will make a settlement with the bank once he landed in australia

·
Registered
577 Posts
thanks , if he bad a bad credit ratings on dun & Bradstreet , does it effects for him to apply for the visa as he will make a settlement with the bank once he landed in australia
I would suggest him to consult a lawyer to get a better understanding of the situation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
will do thanks for your time & effort as I do doubt that all this things really matters to the immigration as long as he fullfill there requirements & don't have a criminal record , to owe money to the bank is not a criminal case

1 - 8 of 8 Posts