Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Please i need some advice on this issue.

I am due to renewing my spouse visa but just found out from my pay slip that i have a traffic criminal conviction due to car insurance and driving unaccompnied with my provisional license.

I moved houses and wasnt able to receive any letter from police or anything concerning this case.
I contacted DVLA when this happened to find out if there is any fine to pay but they said i should wait and that i will be notified if there is any fine or case.

I am in distress as my visa is due for renewal.
Please i need to know if this will impact my FLR application and whats best to do.

Thank you!

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Any criminal conviction could affect it. However, unless it was very serious (violence or drug related offence, drink driving) then they're unlikely to separate your family.

Where it is more likely to be an issue is if you intend to naturalise as British in future.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any criminal conviction could affect it. However, unless it was very serious (violence or drug related offence, drink driving) then they're unlikely to separate your family.

Where it is more likely to be an issue is if you intend to naturalise as British in future.
Thank you for your response.

I have written to the court and i hope the case is withdrawn.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did the police stop you or just got the information on your payslip.
yes the police stopped me last year.

I had an international driving license but i am only allowed to drive for one year with it.(One year grace period just elapsed at the time)

my wife just had a baby and this was towards the start of the pandemic when everyone was rushing to stock up.

I explained the situation to the police, they stated that i will receive a fine which i was waiting for. contacted the DVLA and also made sure i changed my address(provisional license) when i moved. went to my old apartment to ask for letters but none was given.

So i thought the police didnt go ahead with the case/fine or maybe there is a delay due to the pandemic, only to find out from my payslip that i have a court order for 850 pounds and 8 black points.

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
Thank you for your response.

I have written to the court and i hope the case is withdrawn.

This is not going to happen..... your case went to court (whether or not you appeared in person) and you were fined 850 GBP (that's a high price for just driving with an international licence - sure that was all?) AND you have 8 points ... (you get suspended if you get 12).
How were you surprised when the amount was sequestrated from your pay? Surely your employer would have informed you of such proceedings?

·
Registered
111 Posts
were fined 850 GBP (that's a high price for just driving with an international licence - sure that was all?)
I think it was the fact that the 1 year grace period for the international license had elapsed at the time they were pulled over. And apparently they were driving unaccompanied on a provisional license, and also not insured to drive the car

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is not going to happen..... your case went to court (whether or not you appeared in person) and you were fined 850 GBP (that's a high price for just driving with an international licence - sure that was all?) AND you have 8 points ... (you get suspended if you get 12).
How were you surprised when the amount was sequestrated from your pay? Surely your employer would have informed you of such proceedings?
I spoke to someone from the court who advised that i apply for statutory declaration which means the case will be reopened for a fiar hearing.

my employer only told me about the case when i querried the deduction on my payslip. i had no idea of any case nor fine prior to that.

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
I think it was the fact that the 1 year grace period for the international license had elapsed at the time they were pulled over. And apparently they were driving unaccompanied on a provisional license, and also not insured to drive the car
I agree..... the OP's second post implies it was only for driving on the International licence, while his first suggests it was due to a car insurance issue and driving unaccompanied.

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
I spoke to someone from the court who advised that i apply for statutory declaration which means the case will be reopened for a fiar hearing.

my employer only told me about the case when i querried the deduction on my payslip. i had no idea of any case nor fine prior to that.

..... but you WERE driving without insurance and unaccompanied on a provisional licence?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are right.

the grace period had elapsed and i was driving unaccompanied..the car was insured

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
..... but you WERE driving without insurance and unaccompanied on a provisional licence?
the car was insured.

I was driving on my provisional license + international license( one year grace period had elapsed at the time)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my question is HOW Does this affect my application if the court refuses to reopen the case? would it stop me from extending my visa?

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
my question is HOW Does this affect my application if the court refuses to reopen the case? would it stop me from extending my visa?
Probably not.... but you must declare your conviction on the application ...

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
the car was insured.

I was driving on my provisional license + international license( one year grace period had elapsed at the time)
The car might have been insured but as you were driving outside of the rules of your provisional licence, had you been in an accident you would have found any insurance would have been voided.
So in practice you were driving without insurance.

Reactions: luckdxb
1 - 18 of 18 Posts