Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wonder how many Expats are following the SNP's position on Europe and where the SNP stand on a future British referendum on EU membership.
Unlike Nigel Farage's UKIP the SNP have 56 MP's elected to Westminster as opposed to 1 from UKIP.

The SNP have made no secret of the fact that they are perhaps the most Europhile of the parties at Westminster and Nicola Sturgeon has already set out her red lines on what will be needed for an In / Out Referendum to be acceptable in Scotland.

Of course the UK's EU Referendum would be a perfect opportunity to force a constitutional crisis in Britain if Scotland votes overwhelmingly to remain in the EU and the rest of the UK ( noteably England ) vote to leave the EU.

No doubt Sturgeon can claim that big business would willingly up sticks and move to Scotland - if she was to go it alone & remain in the EU while the rest of the UK leaves the EU.

Sturgeon - UK Withdrawl must have 4 nation backing

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
What can the SNP do? 56 doesn't make a majority. Cameron can tell them to get on their bikes. Remember during the Scottish referendum Brussels said that Scotland as an independent state would not be eligible to join the EU.

G

·
I wouldn't place too much credence on statements coming out of Brussels at the time of the Scottish referendum, remembering that at the present time, considerable sums of money flow into the EU from Westminster, which made its wishes on the outcome of the referendum clear. Why would Brussels bite the hand that feeds it? On the other hand, should there be a Brexit (which I don't believe) and a newly independent Scotland apply to join, the EU has nothing to lose and a great deal to gain from supporting the application of a highly pro-Eutope country.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
EU

I wouldn't place too much credence on statements coming out of Brussels at the time of the Scottish referendum, remembering that at the present time, considerable sums of money flow into the EU from Westminster, which made its wishes on the outcome of the referendum clear. Why would Brussels bite the hand that feeds it? On the other hand, should there be a Brexit (which I don't believe) and a newly independent Scotland apply to join, the EU has nothing to lose and a great deal to gain from supporting the application of a highly pro-Eutope country.
I cerainly agree with you about whatever Brussels said before the referendum. They had to say what they did to suit Westminster.
I don't believe that Nicola is going to threaten Cameron with another referendum. Perhaps in a few year's time but the momentum has gone for the time being.There was a small majority of Scots who said no and they too must be taken into account. The SNP's latest success in Scotland is a reflection of the growing discontent with the Labour Party.
In general, the Scots are in favour of the EU and Cameron should remember that.

·
Registered
22,341 Posts
Any one member state can exercise power of veto over the admission of a new applicant for membership.
Spain has said it will use its veto if Scotland applies to join.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Any one member state can exercise power of veto over the admission of a new applicant for membership.
Spain has said it will use its veto if Scotland applies to join.
But that is while the PP are in power, what about when the PSOE take over?

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Do you think PSOE would agree to anything that could set a precedent to encourage Catalonia to think it could be an independent state within the EU?
With Spanish politics, who knows? There were even anarchists i government in Cataluña at one time.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Spain can use it's veto all it likes, I imagine nobody will take much notice just like when Cameron used his.
If it ever came to it I predict Scotland would be fastracked in.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
EU

Spain can use it's veto all it likes, I imagine nobody will take much notice just like when Cameron used his.
I agree with you, but now that Cameron's promise for a referendum seems to be more and more on the cards, then I am sure the political machinery will start turning and we will be hearing constantly of the benefits to the UK. Even the Daily Mail had a poll that gave 38 per cent of the voters willing to stay.
Perhaps some of the old tories opposed the EU might find themselves elevated to the House of Lords.

·
Registered
22,341 Posts
That was a different kind of veto, in a different context, a financial context, the revised Community Budget. Procedures for admitting new members are totally different and can't be compared. If Scotland were even considered for membership, it wouldn't be a simple vote at a meeting and in next month, you know! It would take years. Various financial and other tests would have to be passed. There is, I think, a period of candidate membership which lasts a few years in itself.

Then there are huge questions such as 'what currency would Scotland be using?' I doubt they would continue to use the £ sterling.
Could Scotland afford to contribute to the Community Budget?

Beware of making it sound like a simple process because it isn't. :) Scotland may not be able to satisfy all community standards. As an independent country it would be hard-pressed to make its own budget balance.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Yes

That was a different kind of veto, in a different context, a financial context, the revised Community Budget. Procedures for admitting new members are totally different and can't be compared. If Scotland were even considered for membership, it wouldn't be a simple vote at a meeting and in next month, you know! It would take years. Various financial and other tests would have to be passed. There is, I think, a period of candidate membership which lasts a few years in itself.

Then there are huge questions such as 'what currency would Scotland be using?' I doubt they would continue to use the £ sterling.
Could Scotland afford to contribute to the Community Budget?

Beware of making it sound like a simple process because it isn't. :) Scotland may not be able to satisfy all community standards. As an independent country it would be hard-pressed to make its own budget balance.
Yes, and so what? if the UK left the the EU then it would also been in sh..tsville. The year 2030 it would seem for the curtain to fall.

We are all just pondering and I very much doubt that Scotland would want to go it alone.
As to community standards, what did Romania and several others offer?

·
Registered
22,341 Posts
Yes, and so what? if the UK left the the EU then it would also been in sh..tsville. The year 2030 it would seem for the curtain to fall.

We are all just pondering and I very much doubt that Scotland would want to go it alone.
As to community standards, what did Romania and several others offer?
I'm not sure what your 'so what?' refers to..:)

I agree with VFR that it's unlikely we will see a Brexit, more likely a Grexit, and I doubt Scotland, IF independent, would satisfy admission criteria for the EU, let alone be accepted without at least one member state using a veto.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts