Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I am trying to apply for the Canada PR and looking at the CRS System a Masters degree fetches more number.

I have a question : I have done Master of Arts (major in English) through IGNOU distance learning.

Will this be considered as a regular degree and will fetch me the right points for a Master Degree.

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
You will have to get your education qualifications evaluated before you can determine how many points (if any) they will offer for your Express Entry profile.

Generally, because of the differences in the educational system(s) in Canada and India, it's not likely that your Indian Masters degree will equate to a Canadian degree. This is not to say that it definitely will not but, on the balance of probabilities (and anecdotal evidence here on the forums), it is highly unlikely to be considered equivalent.

Again, you must have an ECA for your education qualification(s) if you wish to partake of any points value.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. This is helpful. One follow up question.Is it possible to have experience in a totally different job profile as compared to my education and still get the points. Do they evaluate your experience and education together?

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
As far as I know, ECA only looks at your education qualifications.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Hi - I am trying to apply for the Canada PR and looking at the CRS System a Masters degree fetches more number.

I have a question : I have done Master of Arts (major in English) through IGNOU distance learning.

Will this be considered as a regular degree and will fetch me the right points for a Master Degree.

As mentioned, the Indian education system is not up to the same standards as the Canadian education system so there is every chance that your degree will not be considered equivalent. If that school is a legit one, your chances are a bit better. If it is a legit school then the method of instruction (ie. distance learning) is irrelevant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.