Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Can an applicant get credit-points if he uses a credit card to pay DIBP fees?

Has anyone tested this before?

·
Registered
23,862 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I paid through a Black American Express credit card but did not get any points

It would ultimately depend on your credit card company rules and The credit card being used

Cheers

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hi Everyone,

You mean reward points? I used my US Credit card to pay my fees (AUD 5280 or so) and got about USD 80 back through rewards.

As mentioned above, it would depend on the the credit card and has nothing to do with DIBP. It's just a normal transaction so if you get reward points for paying with your CC at a store, you'd get them even for this.

·
Registered
23,862 Posts
You mean reward points? I used my US Credit card to pay my fees (AUD 5280 or so) and got about USD 80 back through rewards.

As mentioned above, it would depend on the the credit card and has nothing to do with DIBP. It's just a normal transaction so if you get reward points for paying with your CC at a store, you'd get them even for this.
With my credit card I do not get points for utilities bill payments etc. And sadly the DIBP payment is also clubbed with the same

I understand this is applicable for many Australian credit cards which have a high points award schemes

Cheers

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
will I have to pay extra if I use a credit card?

I mean, special surcharge or there will be no any difference between debit card and credit card payment?

·
Registered
427 Posts
With my credit card I do not get points for utilities bill payments etc. And sadly the DIBP payment is also clubbed with the same

I understand this is applicable for many Australian credit cards which have a high points award schemes

Cheers
You're right. I do recall on my amazon card, they would give 1 point per dollar for certain categories, 2 for some other categories, etc. While I think they were giving rewards for everything, I can totally see it as a possibility that they wouldn't award points for certain categories (as experienced by you).

I have a Coles rewards card here which charges no annual fees and gives 1 flybuy point for every $2 spent. I think they give rewards for every transaction.

·
Registered
23,862 Posts
will I have to pay extra if I use a credit card?

I mean, special surcharge or there will be no any difference between debit card and credit card payment?
The current surcharge rates are:
Credit card type Surcharge
Visa and MasterCard
(This surcharge also applies to payments by Debit Visa or Debit MasterCard)

0.98%

American Express and JCB

1.4%

Diners Club

1.99%

As per this statement on DIBP website both types of cards incur the same charges
But to be clear I have used a credit card only and had to pay 1.4% extra

Cheers

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The current surcharge rates are:
Credit card type Surcharge
Visa and MasterCard
(This surcharge also applies to payments by Debit Visa or Debit MasterCard)

0.98%

American Express and JCB

1.4%

Diners Club

1.99%

As per this statement on DIBP website both types of cards incur the same charges
But to be clear I have used a credit card only and had to pay 1.4% extra

Cheers

Actually, I am wondering how I pay to DIBP so that in the end I can save some money as $5400 is not a small amount.

I have both Common Wealth Credit Card as well as Debit card.

What do you suggest?

·
Registered
23,862 Posts
Actually, I am wondering how I pay to DIBP so that in the end I can save some money as $5400 is not a small amount.

I have both Common Wealth Credit Card as well as Debit card.

What do you suggest?
Check out the total charges you will have to pay if you use Bpay?

It's also accepted by DIBP

Cheers

·
Registered
23,862 Posts
Bpay! I am very new to it.

Thanks for telling me.

Will it give me more benefits as compared to a credit card?
I am also new and have not used it myself
I have no idea
Just recommended it from looking at the list as this may not have a big surcharge

You will have to do your own research

Cheers

·
Registered
427 Posts
BPAY should not have any surcharge but it just takes a couple of days for the payment to process. They will provide you with a Biller Code and a Reference number using which you can transfer money from your personal account.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts