Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serious question. I don't really understand the whole Expo thing and what it will mean.

If Dubai were to win it, would it lead to an increase in the number of jobs? I am a struggling intern at a consultancy firm and am looking for a way out into marketing research/PR/corporate communications. Would the expo lead to an increase in jobs in all sectors or only some select sectors like hospitality?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
It will give an increase in construction/lobour jobs, mostly to people from the sub-continent, who will all be brought over to build the Expo Village/City thingy - then all be sent back home afterwards.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will give an increase in construction/lobour jobs, mostly to people from the sub-continent, who will all be brought over to build the Expo Village/City thingy - then all be sent back home afterwards.
Ah, that's what I thought as well. No big deal then, life will carry on as usual for the rest of us.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Ah, that's what I thought as well. No big deal then, life will carry on as usual for the rest of us.
Not really. The media and the real estate industry will try to make you believe that all this means rents MUST go up so we actually may be worse off in years to come, or perhaps even months since real estate agents are already doing their best effort to feed the speculation. We shall see.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not really. The media and the real estate industry will try to make you believe that all this means rents MUST go up so we actually may be worse off in years to come, or perhaps even months since real estate agents are already doing their best effort to feed the speculation. We shall see.
Oh dear. I was positive about Dubai getting the expo till today, hope they don't now!

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Yep, and the sad thing is that too many people are stupid enough to swallow it.

Demand for housing in 2014 is going to go through the roof because of a 6 month long event that will take place almost 7 years later designed to attract tourists who will stay for a week or 2 in a hotel.

Makes perfect sense doesn't it?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I've seen so many people expecting an instant pay rise if Dubai gets the Expo - er no, that's not going to happen.
I have already spoken to people who assure me the "authorities will tell companies to give more salary"

That explains the multitude of seemingly middle class people on Gulf News and Facebook fervently praying for a win.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I have already spoken to people who assure me the "authorities will tell companies to give more salary"

That explains the multitude of seemingly middle class people on Gulf News and Facebook fervently praying for a win.
A bit racist, but I'm sure i know what part of the world 90% of them come from.

Incredibly naive, is the only way I can think to describe it.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts

LMAO

This is absolutely hilarious.

I agree, the expectations some people have around this expo are unbelievable. Some people are so naive :eek:

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Not to mention that many if not most visitors will be domestic tourists who already live here.

The expo attendance numbers are always greatly inflated by local residents' multiple visits over the six months.

Yep, and the sad thing is that too many people are stupid enough to swallow it.

Demand for housing in 2014 is going to go through the roof because of a 6 month long event that will take place almost 7 years later designed to attract tourists who will stay for a week or 2 in a hotel.

Makes perfect sense doesn't it?

·
Registered
140 Posts
if you only look at it from the perspective of rents increasing then yes, it'd be better if Dubai didn't win but there'a lot of good that comes of something like this.

I know in Brisbane, where I'm from, the World Expo was held there in 1988 and it really put our city on the map (not that Dubai needs it but you get what I mean). It gave us a lot of wonderful areas for tourists and residents alike (the entire South Bank and South Brisbane area for example), infrastructure improved dramatically and it also forces councils and government to get their act together since the world's eyes will be on the city.

There'll be plenty to gain with this win but of course, some pain will come with it - in what form and to what degree remains to be seen but I'm trying to be optimistic about this and believe there's more good in all of this. Happy to learn about more realistic perspectives though - I certainly don't have all the answers!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Dubai in 2013, thanks to the Burj Khalifah, Emirates Airlines, and its focus on tourism has a significantly larger profile than Brisbane in 1988. I would argue that Dubai is as well known as Shanghai was in 2010
I was going through some categorization of cities, and while NYC and London are ranked at the top, the next tier contains cities like Paris, Singapore, and Dubai.
Only something like the Olympics would have made its existing image stronger.

Personally I am excited at the fact that there will be a lot of new projects, what I am apprehensive about, apart from rents is whether there will be any significant increases in fees/fines/charges, but as you said I am trying to be optimistic about it

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
SO why is there so much hype about this bloody thing then? Wouldn't it be better if Dubai didn't get it?
Besides the rents thing, I don't think is a bad thing as such. Just not as great as people make it out to be. As is been pointed out, many people seem to think this expo will personally benefit them. I don't know how or why but they seem to believe that, hence their excitement. I have some of such individuals here in my office and just the other day they were going on and on about how great it will be if Dubai wins the expo bid, and I just had to ask them the question, like, how do they think this thing will directly benefit them? Some of them as Tropicana said, believe that somehow magically salaries will go up (lolz). Others think that businesses will sell more (like our company for example) so that should have a positive effect, right? Others just seem to think that some magical wave of prosperity will come along with the expo. That is more or less their "reasoning" (note quote marks). But I still do not understand exactly what are they expecting, besides some impressive fireworks and festivities and maybe some new recreational areas and parks, which would be great by the way.

Take for example the Maktoum Airport / DWC. Massive project, construction well underway, approximate investment estimated at $32 billion. Great, great project and I say this without a hint of irony. Once that is completed it will be the largest airport in the world and DWC will truly be a one of its kind facility in the whole world. Has this made a difference in our lives (regular Dubai folk I mean)? No. Will it, at some point? Well yes, it will somewhat impact the way people travel, but I don't see it having the prosperity domino effect that a lot of people seem to be expecting from the 2020 Expo. I truly, truly hope I will be proven wrong though. I don't mean to sound all negative, is just that I really don't understand what is all the hype and excitement about. Maybe people think is like the Olympics or the World Cup? :eek:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.