Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an American citizen who applied for and was rejected a prospective student visa to study in the UK in February this year. I was told by plymouth university that I didn't need to show any financial details when I apply, because I'd only need that for a tier 4, not prospective. I was rejected for not including them, if I had known I would've waited to apply with them. Now it's September and I want to use the money I saved up for tickets to visit the UK, just for a vacation, over this winter season. Will my previous visa rejection affect or stop me from visiting the UK as a tourist? I just want to spend Christmas with my partner. Thanks for any responses!

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Probably in your situation it will be sensible to apply for visit visa in advance, even though US citizens don't need one. In your application, mention your denied visa (it will be on their system so they will know about it in any case), acknowledge your error and take full responsibility for it, and now you wish to spend Christmas together. Stress that you will be returning home, and enclose strong ties to US such as letter from your employer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem is that I'm a student, so I don't have an employer. I was supposed to go to Plymouth university this year but because of the rejection, I'm having to wait till next year to do so. Would that mean I don't have enough ties to the U.S? The terrible thing is that if I didn't apply for that student visa, I'd have no problems getting into the UK just to see my partner for Christmas.

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Well, you can state you are re-applying for university entry next year, but that doesn't prove strong tie in US compelling you to return home after Christmas. How are you going to spend the time before starting your studies next year? Can you get a temporary job and use it as a reason for going home? Set up a job interview in early January? Commitment to do voluntary work?
If you can't think of anything, it will be safer to spend your Christmas together in a neutral country like France (but not Ireland as authorities there have full access to UK immigration database and may suspect you are trying a back door entry into UK).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.