Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents are from Ireland, now U.S. citizens.

They told me I am eligible for a European passport.

How much of a "leg up" is that for someone seeking a visa to work, without any job offers?

I am now 30, a 5 military veteran and a college graduate (PoliSci :-/ ), with no real skills...I have spent the last 3 years working in warehousing and construction, I'm soon to be 32 years old and I do not see the situation in the U.S. improving.

I am moving out to Los Angeles, California courtesy of a dear friend, giving me one last shot at a career.

I have done a little traveling in Europe and have thought about moving there now more than ever. I speak only English and am not good with languages, due to lacking self-discipline. I may do well in immersion, but I don't really have that money do I?

I'm hoping to give Europe a shot. I've thought of Ireland, Copenhagen and Amsterdam. I heard Berlin is one of the cheapest cities in Europe to live, but I did a few semesters of German in college and was terrible at it.

·
Administrator
51,556 Posts
If you have an EU passport you don't need a visa at all to live and work in the EU. Now, finding a job in the EU is a whole different story - and as someone without a local track record and with no local qualifications, that's still going to be a challenge.

One thing about Germany is that they really really want you to have the "proper" training for the job you're applying for. When I was living there, we joked that there was a 3-year training program for just about any job imaginable, from janitor to nuclear physicist.

But at least you should have no visa issues once you get your Irish passport.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Agreed. If you have the passport, you can pretty much live and work anywhere in the EU. However, given your work experience, language skills and the state of various economies, your chances of finding a decent job are fairly low.

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
For perspective, and bearing in mind that unemployment statistics are not exactly directly comparable, Austria has the lowest unemployment rate in Europe at about 4.9%. The lowest unemployment rate in the United States is North Dakota's at 3.0%. Based on these statistics, if you are mobile then your statistical chance of finding employment in the U.S. is considerably higher than it is in Europe right now.

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
Get the EU passport, though. Certainly no harm in that with the possible exception of U.S. national security-related employment. Though there are also many U.S. employers who would appreciate the advantages of having an employee with EU employment eligibility.

California is doing fairly well economically, especially compared to current European averages.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts