Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
We have been in Melbourne for the last 5 months or so on the 136 Skilled indepenent visa and my wife is 4 months pregnant.

I understand if we use the public healthcare system then most birth related costs should be free?

Also will we be eligable to claim the baby bonus?

Many thanks,

Mac500

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I think you have be to be there fr 2 years before to be eligible for the bonus.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Contact Centrelink directly for the residence requirements.

There are (3) things you should look at for an upcoming parent:
1. Baby Bonus
2. Family Tax Benefit A
3. Family Tax Benefit B

Hi,
We have been in Melbourne for the last 5 months or so on the 136 Skilled indepenent visa and my wife is 4 months pregnant.

I understand if we use the public healthcare system then most birth related costs should be free?

Many thanks,

Mac500

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi Mac500,

Don't have the answers to your questions but am I allowed to say congratulations to you and your wife. It's got to be exciting having an "Australian" baby, at least they won't have to sit the citizenship test, well I hope not.
xx Satty:love:

Hi,

Many thanks,

Mac500

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Baby will be an AU Citizen at birth as at least one parent is an AU PR.

You can also apply for citizenship by descent for your home country if your home country allows dual Citizenship (the UK does).

Hi Mac500,

Don't have the answers to your questions but am I allowed to say congratulations to you and your wife. It's got to be exciting having an "Australian" baby, at least they won't have to sit the citizenship test, well I hope not.
xx Satty:love:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts