Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Husband would be me, I've done my research, but left with more questions.
While I'd be more than appreciative to be a kept man, I've worked all my life, I've only really worked for myself (UK Limited company) all my adult life. I am a web and app developer, I work from home, primarily as it's my passion, but also my disability. I've never had an office and rarely meet my clients in person, as it's all done online, some I've never met in person. I've never made a lot of money doing what I do, like my Wife, it's about doing what we enjoy. One day it might pay off, it just hasn't yet.

So what is my options, I already know the sort of jobs (OT) my Wife gets offered, essentially means I can share all her benefits, as a family unit. So I'd be allowed to live in UAE, get medical and a few other things, but there is no challenge now, she'd be the main earner. I'd just get bored, if I couldn't work, not to mention I have long term clients to do work for.
However I know that work / labour laws are different here, Do I need permission and sponsorship to work at my own UK company? That is assuming I am allowed to still work for my Uk company, but reside in UAE. Do I need to start up something new just for the purposes of being in UAE?
Or is there a 3rd option, I've not thought of?

Apart from my Wife, my Sister and Brother-in-Law (Both teachers) should still be out there, it's one of the reasons why my wife is considering it.

I appreciate the advice, if there is a good option for me.
If not at least I can pursue my falconry and archery more, if I apparently might have more spare time on my hands.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Your company is based in the UK, you won't be working in the UAE as such, so carry on as before. Obviously get sponsored by your wife etc. then just carry on as normal.

Falconry is an interesting one, there are a number of clubs here but whether they cater for non Arabic speakers i have no idea. No idea about Archery but I'm sure you can search some out.

And good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The same reason anyone worries, different laws, than what they are use to.
I'm just wanting to check I'm doing it right, because I don't fancy finding out the consequences of doing it wrong.

Thanks "The Rascal", so Sponsored by my Wife is all I need?
I'm a quick study, my sister and brother-in-law will help when we decide, they are both already fluent in both Arabic and English.
I already know of a few places to do both, falconry and archery, but yes I can imagine, someone like myself, until I am more a part of the community, getting accepted is not going to be easy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts