Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Careful, Expat forum Spain-I've recently seen increasing numbers of refugees from this forum on other forums - what made them flee? Could it be that free speech sometimes isn't so free?:confused:

·
Administrator
36,516 Posts
speech is free

breaking forum rules isn't

I'm sure these other forums have rules - in fact I know they have

& there's nothing to say that you can't be a member - or even a moderator - on more than one forum

I belong to others, as do lots of members - and other moderators - here

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
The bottom line is that we simply remove the rude offensive bits of a thread but leave the sentiment. Some posters didnt like that

Jo xxx

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Out of interest, I looked at another Forum a few days ago.
Some threads hadn't been posted on since the Queen Mother died...
But one I read through was extremely boring - presumably why other threads hadn't been posted on , they were even more so. That Forum was clearly unmoderated since about ten boring posts through a couple of pranksters had decided to liven things up by having a very explicit gay male sex chat. I nearly choked..
Given that the denizens of that particular Forum seemed to be the slippers and Horlicks at ten type, judging from the posts, I reckon the old sal volatile was got out of the large handbags....
which, if anything like my Gran's, would also contain a lace handkerchief (never used), a bottle of eau-de-cologne and a small bottle of brandy, purely for medicinal purposes.

So moderation can indeed be useful...in moderation.

·
Registered
19,392 Posts
Careful, Expat forum Spain-I've recently seen increasing numbers of refugees from this forum on other forums - what made them flee? Could it be that free speech sometimes isn't so free?:confused:
Quite a few of the regular posters on this forum jumped ship a few years ago from another where the "boss" was a bit of a moderating maniac according to them, so it's not the first, and won't be the last time there's a mass forum jump.

There seem to be a few bottom lines...
If you join a forum you have to be prepared for posts to be moderated if seen necessary.
And,
If you're not enjoying it, then try another one.
But I hope that the majority will stay :)

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
Quite a few of the regular posters on this forum jumped ship a few years ago from another where the "boss" was a bit of a moderating maniac according to them, so it's not the first, and won't be the last time there's a mass forum jump.

If you join a forum you have to be prepared for posts to be moderated if seen necessary.
And,
Yes I was one of them & of course a member of a number of other forums, but the site in question was turned upside down by the owner who then wanted members to pay = everyone left.

Moderation here is quite mild compared to some sites I visit & about on par on with the sites I moderate on.
I this day & age forums must have a degree of moderation to simply stay within the law & to my mind should have "common courtesy" as the first rule.

So you want to leave ?, ok fine but why tell the world :confused:

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
playamonte said:
Yes I was one of them & of course a member of a number of other forums, but the site in question was turned upside down by the owner who then wanted members to pay = everyone left.

Moderation here is quite mild compared to some sites I visit & about on par on with the sites I moderate on.
I this day & age forums must have a degree of moderation to simply stay within the law & to my mind should have "common courtesy" as the first rule.

So you want to leave ?, ok fine but why tell the world :confused:
It's door slamming! People get frustrated and need to 'vent' when they go
And yes, common courtesy is the key to a good forum IMO
Jo xxx

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
To the OP lest you get the incorrect impression:
As one of those who is considering venturing elsewhere and in response to the two Mods - we have no problems with moderation but censorship is something else.

Read this quickly because it may well disappear.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
To the OP lest you get the incorrect impression:
As one of those who is considering venturing elsewhere and in response to the two Mods - we have no problems with moderation but censorship is something else.

Read this quickly because it may well disappear.

No, we'll let you have that one baldi. But censorship is a serious accusation. Censorship implies that peoples posts are tampered with and the meaning changed, or that to suit one side of an argument, all opposing views have been removed. Neither of these scenarios are the case at all. You only have to look to see that the only things that have ever been removed are the insults - which you cant see anymore lol!

However, moderation shouldnt be discussed on the open forum. It should be done via pm. This is a one off

·
Administrator
36,516 Posts
No, we'll let you have that one baldi. But censorship is a serious accusation. Censorship implies that peoples posts are tampered with and the meaning changed, or that to suit one side of an argument, all opposing views have been removed. Neither of these scenarios are the case at all. You only have to look to see that the only things that have ever been removed are the insults - which you cant see anymore lol!

However, moderation shouldnt be discussed on the open forum. It should be done via pm. This is a one off
insults and posts breaking other rules, such as the discussion of the moderation of this forum - as baldi's post does

but yes, we'll let that one go

but that's the last one on this thread to be permitted

and as far as I'm aware, most forums have exactly the same rule - certainly all the forums I'm a member of do, anyway

this from another forum I'm a member of
Moderator Actions
Discussions about moderator or administrator actions are welcome in email, or local private messages, but should not be discussed in public forums. This is out of respect for the members, moderators and policy involved.
& from our rules
Please don’t discuss moderator or admin actions in the forums. If you have a matter to discuss please pm or email us

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I'm not discussing moderation or moderators here, so let's get that straight. What I am discussing is censorship in it's broadest terms. I am totally against it in any form. I find it insidious and total counter what I consider to be a civilised society. When I encounter what I feel (personally) is censorship, I quit. Simple really. If I have an issue with moderators and censorship on a forum, you can be quite sure you will hear from me, within the rules, but I also have the right to say nothing. I also have the right, in law, to discuss anything that has been said about me either in a forum or via PM through vehicles such as Twitter and Facebook, provided I follow the legalities of such. Which generally means not naming the individuals I might have issues with, and I don't. When it is intimated to me that I am not allowed to discuss issues elsewhere, that is bordering on an illegal act. Having said all of that, I haven't left this forum at all. I'm very busy with work. Not part of the great plan, that....

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I'm not discussing moderation or moderators here, so let's get that straight. What I am discussing is censorship in it's broadest terms. I am totally against it in any form. I find it insidious and total counter what I consider to be a civilised society. When I encounter what I feel (personally) is censorship, I quit. Simple really. If I have an issue with moderators and censorship on a forum, you can be quite sure you will hear from me, within the rules, but I also have the right to say nothing. I also have the right, in law, to discuss anything that has been said about me either in a forum or via PM through vehicles such as Twitter and Facebook, provided I follow the legalities of such. Which generally means not naming the individuals I might have issues with, and I don't. When it is intimated to me that I am not allowed to discuss issues elsewhere, that is bordering on an illegal act. Having said all of that, I haven't left this forum at all. I'm very busy with work. Not part of the great plan, that....
I totally agree. I'm also against censorship in its real term, as is the forum, which is why it doesnt happen on here.

Jo

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts
i have obvioulsy missed something here, but I have noticed it has been a quiet on here, i just thought it was the time of the year

x

·
Registered
33,612 Posts

·
Registered
19,392 Posts

And,
Oh! And another bottom line
I can't b.e.l.i.e.v.e that this is still being talked about!!
Post threads about something else
PLEASE!:yawn::sad::yawn:

And that's the bottom line from me!:tape:

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Post threads about something else
PLEASE!:yawn::sad::yawn:

And that's the bottom line from me!:tape:
Happy to oblige...what I would like to know is,.... who looked at a hen and thought it would be a good idea to eat the next thing that fell out it's backside:D:D:D

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Happy to oblige...what I would like to know is,.... who looked at a hen and thought it would be a good idea to eat the next thing that fell out it's backside:D:D:D
LOL, I often wonder who decided it would be a great idea to drink the breast milk from a cow :puke:

Jo xxx

1 - 20 of 73 Posts