Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm just wondering why still many people try to migrate to Australia even there are no jobs here?

I spoke with a lecturer that has PhD and an Australian Passport. He came 10 years ago to Australia and he still cannot find full-time. He told me that the problem is that good jobs are given to Australians without a migration background and all other low level jobs are given to the skilled migrants! Very sad!

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I think it's just very hard to land a full-time lecturer position in general, anywhere in the world. Recent budget cuts to the Australian university system have certainly not helped - I know more than a handful of recent PhD grads who are struggling to get a post-doc or Junior Lecturer position in Australia, even though they are "natives", born and bred in Australia.

Why would people still migrate to Australia? I'd guess for the lovely weather, high quality of living and social security. Plus, they still have a strong economy and low unemployment rate (around 6%) compared to many European countries (Spain: 23%, Italy: 13%, ... even Sweden currently has close to 8%). So, "no jobs" certainly seems an exaggeration to me.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm just wondering why still many people try to migrate to Australia even there are no jobs here?

I spoke with a lecturer that has PhD and an Australian Passport. He came 10 years ago to Australia and he still cannot find full-time. He told me that the problem is that good jobs are given to Australians without a migration background and all other low level jobs are given to the skilled migrants! Very sad!
Europeans migrated to Australia when Australia was a forest land....i dont think they ever thought of jobs then....people take risk in life for better life....for some risk pays off and for some it push their life back by atleast 5 years.

Right now Australia is all about survival of the fittest..and that's the reason Oz govt is not worried about high immigration despite high unemployment levels....they know very well immigrants can't survive without jobs for long and will return back home when their finances will be exhausted....anyhow new immigrants are paying high visa fees and spending in Australia during their stay and hence helping the australian economy...so its a win win situation for Australian government....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi danav-Singh,

I absolutely agree with your point of view. I believe that the government will not stop the skilled migration program because they get a lot of money! The government knows exactly that a lot of the skilled visa people can't find a job and after spending all their money they are going back to their country, so the problem will solve it by itself! Very wise the Australia government!!! As long people pay those high fees the government will continue that game....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At the moment yes! I would recommend trying another country like USA or Canada! I heard that the IT jobs are better over there! But at the end is it your decision. If you are planning to come bring enough money for the first 6 months!!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi guys,

You can run your owned business, why not? In all countries, the more quality jobs they are, the more competitive the job market is. If you don't care to be a worker, go for it and you also get high salary

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would like people to have positive frame of mind first,
rather than figuring out the things and working upon those we tend to let our heads down and become pessimist.
Its Australia today tomo that might be the country you are heading to or belong to if the attitude is negative you would always feel left out and depressed.
Come here try different things once situation improves you will definitely fit into the place you want to be in.
It was similar situation during great recession in US and even in India few years back , there is time in your life which teaches you to be strong and people who get that are one of the few fortunate ones.
Let this be the time and let each one of you coming here try to focus on how to come out of this situation currently

·
Registered
411 Posts
Why would people still migrate to Australia? I'd guess for the lovely weather, high quality of living and social security. Plus, they still have a strong economy and low unemployment rate (around 6%) compared to many European countries (Spain: 23%, Italy: 13%, ... even Sweden currently has close to 8%). So, "no jobs" certainly seems an exaggeration to me.
The figures look all good, but one must read it from the potential immigrant's perspective...
The person has a stable job, and is an established professional where ever he/she is currently located.
The person aspires for a better income, better savings, and in general, an improved quality of life.
The person is spending 6-10K AUD from his/her own hard earned savings to get a visa.

Question is..is the risk/reward ratio favourable in the current scenario

·
Registered
460 Posts
The lecturer example is not a good one. Australian lecturers are not the same as lecturers in some countries like India, Malaysia etc in that you are not employed for lecture ring but for research...and if you are not world recognised enough to get research grants based on your publication record you are. It going to be hired as a lecturer. If your ffiend has been here for 10 years and has not made a name for themselves...lecturing is no longer a profession for them. I was one for 10 years here...my department was closed and now five years latter that door is now permanently closed for me.

Immigration costs and processes are there to ensure that the 1) majority of immigrants are what is needed and are not a drain on society and 2) to allow spouses and potential spouses and children join their Australian partner/parent. A small population country like Australia with great infrastructure issues cannot survive massive indiscriminate immigration. The governments primary aim is to keep the good quality of life for its citizens.....improving the quality of life for potential immigrants is not important and shouldn't be. At present there are countries in the world...there is not a single global government (aka Brave New World).

Immigrants need to ask the question WHY am I eanting to leave the country of my birth, Of my heritage, of my religion, of my family. Be honest with that answer and you will not be disappointed when you end up immigrating

·
Registered
209 Posts
The "ripping off migrant theory" doesn't sound too good to me. There might be some other reasons the government is still keeping the migration program running but this theory doesn't make any sense.

If the Australian government had such nefarious motives, it could have eased the investor visa stream that could have brought a lot of money . I know many people in my country who can pay millions of dollar just to get Australian PR. Thus , this theory doesn't hold a ground.

Regards

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree with babajanii. Australian government pays thousands of dollars every year to the families. If they were doing this migration scam for money they would have never paid family tax benefits and rent assistance, child care benefits to migrants.

Everyone should do a thorough analysys of the job market they want to go into. Australia is a very niche market. It will take time to settle down. I have seen people coming here with a job in hand, some people come and get the job in very short duration, and some people take months and years. It all depends on individuals and their job search strategies.

Be positive. Persistence always pays.

·
Super Moderator
5,176 Posts
At the moment yes! I would recommend trying another country like USA or Canada! I heard that the IT jobs are better over there! But at the end is it your decision. If you are planning to come bring enough money for the first 6 months!!!
It's not any easier to get into Canada for IT related work... the market is saturated as well, with Canadian citizens and those who are present in Canada with Permanent Residence given preference for work, given that the employer doesn't need to sponsor them to work.

To get an invitation to apply for a work permit, you must go through Express Entry... so far, the lowest number of points that they considered was 453, but that benchmark has increased to 469.. look here for the results of all of the draws to date.

All of that said... even if you do meet the minimum draw score, it does not guarantee that you will receive an invitation to apply.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Im in Canada right now and the job market is not great here. For every position there are dozens of applicants who are Canadian Citizens or permanent residents who will get priority.

And to make matters worse, the government have made work permits harder to get and renew with the new LMIA requirments!

·
Registered
637 Posts
I agree with babajanii. Australian government pays thousands of dollars every year to the families. If they were doing this migration scam for money they would have never paid family tax benefits and rent assistance, child care benefits to migrants.
If they didn't pay the benefits, they wouldn't attract immigrants from third world countries ! And it isn't as glamorous as 'thousands of dollars' sounds.:spit: Its just enough for people to survive. And most benefits start after 2 years. 2 years is what an immigrant would probably give himself before leaving the country for good.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Im in Canada right now and the job market is not great here. For every position there are dozens of applicants who are Canadian Citizens or permanent residents who will get priority.

And to make matters worse, the government have made work permits harder to get and renew with the new LMIA requirments!
I hear same things from my mates in the US on H1B. There aren't many jobs and very few actually pay a decent coin. Looks like cheap labor has inundated the world markets :plane:

·
Registered
73 Posts
If they didn't pay the benefits, they wouldn't attract immigrants from third world countries ! And it isn't as glamorous as 'thousands of dollars' sounds.:spit: Its just enough for people to survive. And most benefits start after 2 years. 2 years is what an immigrant would probably give himself before leaving the country for good.
2 years? Incorrect. If you have kids you get the benefits from day one.

·
Registered
973 Posts
hi Inaus,
How having kids can be beneficial from day 1. Can you explain a bit. I am still in the EOI applied stage but expect an invite in July. So was wondering when and if I get the grant is it suitable to take my family with me initially.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Incorrect my donkey. If you can make an effort to read up the humanservices website, I can guarantee you, for you, there's a surprise in there somewhere. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 103 Posts