Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
We are waiting to hear if my husband has been accepted into a job in Perth WA, the waiting game is killing me, and I feel as though my life has been put on hold.

:plane:

While waiting you start to think, is this what I want to do, will I settle, will the kids settle. Just normal thoughts I suppose. But they are doing my head in!!!!

We have never been to Australia, hmmmm now I am thinking should we of visited before now. We have friends in Perth who have been there nearly 8 years now, and have totally settled, but his family have all moved there so it was a natural progression for them I suppose.

OK, so here's what I am asking:

Tips on how to settle would be good. Good points, bad points, indifferent points. I am relatively sociable, but quite shy at the same time. And really this whole move scares my half to death. :confused2:

Any comments, views and opinions would be so great. :)

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
just thought i would share your anguish. Hubby got offered Job is Aus and the company said, anywhere we want!!
Still in shock....
;I am thinknig Perth but also thinking sohuld we move? m emotions are all over the place....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I know how you feel, but I think you have to move because you want to. It is such an upheaval to move kids, belongings etc, but I think you have to find the place for you.

I don't have much family to leave behind, but the ones we are are fit and able and will travel to see us so it is not such a bug bare.

Hopefully you make a decision soon, if you do decide on Perth, keep in touch and maybe we will one day meet.

Keep me posted on what you do
Donna

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
It was just the two of us moving from the UK and we had been to Australia before.

We wanted to move to Australia to get out of the rat race. We lived in Hertfordshire (still within M25) and we were working all hours and not having any life. So we moved for quality of life and to create a life that we love since (as far as we know :)) we only get one go at this! :)

When we had decided on where we were going to move to I checked out all the social clubs in the area (in South Australia there is one website where this can be search and there may be a similar thing for WA for example Interest groups and clubs in Perth Western Australia). I went through the list and chose some of things that would appeal to us. Then when we moved out to Oz we started attending some of the clubs as guests to see which ones we liked. For me it was a local skilled migrants group, toastmasters, for my husband a vintage and veteran car club and we both joined Rotary and a local home base business network. Since then I've also become active in Women in Business and Regional Development network.

People tend to think that I'm naturally outgoing but put me in a room full of strangers and I can be shy but I found that people are interested in why I moved here, when etc. and that breaks the ice. I often start with "As you can tell I'm not a local...." :)

So we went out and mixed with anyone and everyone and for us it's worked.

We also stopped calling the UK 'home' as soon as we left and asked local people to let us know about good doctors, dentists etc.

Don't expect Australia to be like the UK with better weather because it isn't.

Accept Australia for what it is (it's still a young country and a vast one) and don't become a whinging pom :)

By the way it's perfectly normal to be scared :)

Hope that helps,
Karen

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sorry can't help you much as I've never been to Perth but I can tell you why, as a Brit, I came here to Australia.

I originally emigrated to New Zealand looking for a lifestyle that was better than Britain's. What I got was less income, a crappy shed of a house and stuck in a country 30 years behind the rest of the world.

Eventually I got out and found the lifestyle I was looking for over here but it took at least 3 visits to find exactly the right place to live and work. I'd say never migrate without visiting first, Australia isn't just a huge country - it's a huge continent and every state in it is so different. It's a bit like saying 'let's move to Europe because Paris looks good and then living in Ireland.'

1 - 5 of 5 Posts