Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been following lots of posts where people have serious issues with renting a property. I also know many people that faced constant trouble with their landlords concerning maintenance and price increases, forcing them to move year after year. One thing that I noticed is common between most of them: They where ALL renting free-hold properties.

In my 2 decades in Dubai, I never had an issue with my landlord(s), en I know also many people that never had an issue: All they had in common is that they do NOT rent free-hold properties.

I am convinced, that the risk of renting a freehold property is very high; why would anyone still rent a freehold property is a big question for me... Is it because they are not aware of the risks?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
In Dubai I would guess that around 25-35% of all residential buildings (excluding villas) are freehold. This means that a huge supply of accomodation comes from freehold buildings.

And looking at location, most areas with towers south of Safa Park are freehold, except for the Tecom and Barsha.

So if you want to stay in the south of Dubai, potentially 80% of your choice is in freehold areas, and excluding them means narrowing your choices by a lot

Price increases happen in leasehold areas as well, but they tend to happen in batches and are less erratic than in freehold areas.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In Dubai I would guess that around 25-35% of all residential buildings (excluding villas) are freehold. This means that a huge supply of accomodation comes from freehold buildings.

And looking at location, most areas with towers south of Safa Park are freehold, except for the Tecom and Barsha.

So if you want to stay in the south of Dubai, potentially 80% of your choice is in freehold areas, and excluding them means narrowing your choices by a lot

Price increases happen in leasehold areas as well, but they tend to happen in batches and are less erratic than in freehold areas.
Good points mentioned. If location is the main concern, I think its a high price to pay due to trouble you can face.

Its not just the price increases that are the issue, the evictions, maintenance issues and complications with the developers (like non payment of service charges by the landlord). Its because of the ownership model, landlord's wanting to make a quick buck. When talking with people, I have noticed that many do not even look outside the free hold area's....

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
You're right in that many people never bother looking outside the popular freehold areas. The stampede for the Ranches and Victory Heights by newcomers to Dubai has always puzzled me.

But the leasehold areas aren't without their shabby and rundown villas and unscrupulous landlords. A number of the Emirati owned property companies such as Arenco have been just as guilty in trying to raise rents on existing tenants despite RERA's regulations despite that they, as a property company, should know all the ins and outs of rent regulations.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Arenco properties have a low turnover, not many that come on the market, which tells you something. We had a bit of to-ing and fro-ing with our local property company last lease renewal but nothing to be expected and we settled on 5k increase despite them not entitled to it.

Our total price is still below market rates and we want to live here as long as possible. When I read about people needing an NOC to take a bl*dy wardrobe up to their flat I don't think I'd ever move into an Emaar or Nahkeel property. 70's bathroom suites it is :)

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
yes, we're very happy with our 1970's beige bathroom suite in exchange for the Arenco 24 hr maintenance! yes it's old, yes DEWA is expensive, but having seen the pain of others being turfed out, had properties sold underneath them, non-existent maintenance etc...

AC on the blink at 2.00am? Arenco are at the door before 3.00am.
they've replaced taps, showers, cooker hoods, bathroom ceilings, a hot water heater etc - all with no fuss or cost.

Reactions: Budw

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
yes, we're very happy with our 1970's beige bathroom suite in exchange for the Arenco 24 hr maintenance! yes it's old, yes DEWA is expensive, but having seen the pain of others being turfed out, had properties sold underneath them, non-existent maintenance etc...

AC on the blink at 2.00am? Arenco are at the door before 3.00am.
they've replaced taps, showers, cooker hoods, bathroom ceilings, a hot water heater etc - all with no fuss or cost.
Arenco has an excellent reputation. I have been renting as long I am here from Dubai Real Estate department (Now called Wasl), and also enjoy the excellent maintenance and response times. AC and other urgent matters are resolved 24x7. And no increase for the past 8 years for our 8 year old villa. Also the yearly renewal is a breeze. Visit their office on Jumeirah road, and after 20 minutes walk out with the new contract; zero effort.

·
Registered
692 Posts

Tropicana .. Isn't Tecom also freehold ........ I think it is

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Off on a tangent here, but isn't anything foreign owned here explicitly not freehold - despite what you're told? As only Emiratis can own the land, it's all leasehold?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts