Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
An interesting post....if I'm allowed, I will answer...

I'm not slating ALL the youth of today, indeed, I'm a Mother and Step Mother to 5 children whose ages range from 13 to almost 21 years, I feel in a position to comment about the youth of the UK.

English isn't only spoken in the UK, there are many countries worldwide where English is spoken so if ok with you, I'll continue speaking my mother tongue although you will find the English spoken in the UK is actually a Germanic language and did not originate in England/UK. I also happen to speak Spanish, shall we ban that too because Spain has it's social problems which I find hard to understand or dislike?

You quoted my words when describing incidents I've experienced in the UK; may I ask you, Sir/Madam, were you actually present during these incidents and are you in receipt of my driving history? I was in full control of my vehicle, if someone pulls out in front of you, thats what an emergency stop is all about - are you suggesting I shouldn't brake???

As for me blaming the youth of today for all the troubles in the UK, you have obviously misunderstood my posts. I've not blamed any particular age group. But please, don't deny we have feral youths who make it their business to intimidate, commit crime, have a total disregard for others and their possessions and a general apathy towards society. Have you never heard of joy riders? Under-age pregnancy? ASBO's???

A question was asked and the OP was seeking the opinions of members of this Forum - whats your problem with that? Silly me for thinking we had the right to free speech, I thought we lived in a democratic society, obviously, it's autocratic...missed that one! ;)

well as a feral youth myself that has gotten into his fair sure of bother over the years I must say that most of it happened in Spain(i grew up there, so you're not the only one that happens to have the ability to speak 2 languages!) all the problems i got into were with kids in school that proved to be taught to be xenophobic from the moment they stopped suckling upon their mothers breast, and have always wondered how expats that live there can possibly be as naive as they are to the crime,filth and degradation they live in, when all they do is whine about "back home"...the answer is simple, they watch sky, read the daily mail/sun/mirror whatever their fancy and decide to completely ignore the utter shambles of the make believe land they inhabit...i dont deny the existence of bad natured youths in this country, id be blind to see it, but i feel safer walking around london at night than i would in fuengirola/benalmadena or malaga...

as far as england being germanic, fair point, but you misunderstood mine, most of the expats i have ever come across slate the uk and yet support it and fly the patriotic flag for all to see...i was just stating a fact that most expats(maybe i will be hounded for this...) especially the mature ones, are so hypocritical its a joke...

as for the driving...i find it a joy and a pleasure to drive here whereas back in spain i'd fear for my life everytime i either got behind the wheel or even worse when i'd jump on my motorbike, although it is true that anywhere you go you get bad drivers i think that spain is of the mindset that it is involved in a demolition derby 24/7!!!

im sorry if i misunderstood your posts or if you feel im wrong, but as you pointed out, we do live in a democracy and was just excercising my right to free speech as you too pointed out....

Happy Driving

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
well as a feral youth myself that has gotten into his fair sure of bother over the years I must say that most of it happened in Spain(i grew up there, so you're not the only one that happens to have the ability to speak 2 languages!) all the problems i got into were with kids in school that proved to be taught to be xenophobic from the moment they stopped suckling upon their mothers breast, and have always wondered how expats that live there can possibly be as naive as they are to the crime,filth and degradation they live in, when all they do is whine about "back home"...the answer is simple, they watch sky, read the daily mail/sun/mirror whatever their fancy and decide to completely ignore the utter shambles of the make believe land they inhabit...i dont deny the existence of bad natured youths in this country, id be blind to see it, but i feel safer walking around london at night than i would in fuengirola/benalmadena or malaga... - Totally concur that Spain has serious problems too, there would be some parts I wouldn't feel safe walking through BUT overall, I've felt far safer in Spain than the UK....maybe this is due to our sex difference??? I avoided the Expat scene, I do detest it with a passion. I prefered the company of Spaniards who I always found to be warm, welcoming and fun to be with.

as far as england being germanic, fair point, but you misunderstood mine, most of the expats i have ever come across slate the uk and yet support it and fly the patriotic flag for all to see...i was just stating a fact that most expats(maybe i will be hounded for this...) especially the mature ones, are so hypocritical its a joke... - No misunderstanding, you told me to stop speaking English because I happen to point out some facts I find abhorant about the UK. I did grow up there, I do recall that we were taught respect and manners, unfortunately, due to Govt interferance, parents are undermined and we now see a "chav" culture...when you've grown up here, believe me, you notice the changes. Expats are entitled to be patriotic but their opinions must be balanced, I've not given my positive opinions about the UK yet but you assumed I hated the country with a passion which is far from the truth.

as for the driving...i find it a joy and a pleasure to drive here whereas back in spain i'd fear for my life everytime i either got behind the wheel or even worse when i'd jump on my motorbike, although it is true that anywhere you go you get bad drivers i think that spain is of the mindset that it is involved in a demolition derby 24/7!!! - I find Spain a pleasure to drive in as I have other countries I've visited and lived in. The UK can be a nightmare but it's not too bad. What does bother me is as a woman driver (with an unblemished record and I don't drive like Miss Daisy!!), men have an attitude or assume because of my sex, I'm useless on the road and should be at the kitchen sink!! My driving ability and experiences far outweigh some of the male drivers who have abused ME for THEIR f*** ups!!!!

im sorry if i misunderstood your posts or if you feel im wrong, but as you pointed out, we do live in a democracy and was just excercising my right to free speech as you too pointed out.... - Agreed....and it's always worth listening to someone who although may only be a little older than you but who is passing on her experiences....;)

Happy Driving
I'm always happy when driving, it's my second passion. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm always happy when driving, it's my second passion. :D
at the end of it...agree with you on most points and the main one being about female drivers...my partner has been driving for years, again no miss daisy, but whenever anyone seems to f##k up in front of her(generally some chav in souped up citreon saxo!!) she is the one everyone looks at...

always good to hear valid points and arguments! all the best!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am looking to leave the UK for good very soon, and i have to agree with most of the reasons given by many posters above.

Personally, my number 1 reason is that in the UK it is now almost impossible to build a life, even before the "credit crunch" it has become so bogged down with stupid piontless laws and "political correctness/health and safety". also the moral standards of our young seem to be non existant anymore, (but maybe thats a more or less global thing?)

As for the UK being "overun by foriegners", well i supose thats true, but frankly, i dont mind who comes to live here, what i do object to is the blatant erasing of our culture and even some of our laws to make our country more suitable for certain other cultures, when i move abroad, i am more than happy to adapt to another culture and live by the laws of my host country.

·
Registered
50 Posts
PatKelly,
They are all good reasons for wanting a change and maybe you will be happier somewhere else, but the things you mention also happen in other countries too. By other countries I mean western democracies really. Yes we do bend over too much for anyone that shouts loud enough rather then listen to the wishes of the majority.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree with everything you have said! After many years of living in Greece, we decided to give our own country a go, as the children wanted a british education as they thought that maybe the greek education they had was basic.In turns out it wasnt so basic after all as they have shot straight to the top levels and they also find foreign languages a diddle.they also cannot believe how disruptive and badly behaved most of their fellow classmates are and now that they have had a taste of UK life they cant wait to get back later this year.we can honestly say we gave England a go for the children and to be sure that it was not just our own desires of wanting to live in sunnier,friendlier and less stressful climes!!!As a family we have to fit in with the Greek culture and way of life and that makes it all the better.We know now that the grass is definately greener!!!!!

I am glad you had that experience (Greece is also a great place!) but my only comment, much as people are similar the world over, so there will always be bad schools in Greece and good ones in England. You may find at another place of education (maybe thats not possible) that the teaching is better... also the same in Greece...a bad level of teaching is also possible there I am sure.
Anyway the best advice to you, stick with what you know...and like. Sounds like Greece is the place!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you everyone for your discussion, it was quite interesting to read and informative. I think everyone is right that "the perfect place" does not exactly exist...but if you can come close to what "perfect" means to you ....then that's perfect:)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I am glad that I created this forum and the response has been overwhelming...lol!! Yeah its great to hear peoples views and opinions on the UK and what it represents. Keep it coming lol!:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am glad that I created this forum and the response has been overwhelming...lol!! Yeah its great to hear peoples views and opinions on the UK and what it represents. Keep it coming lol!:)

Well as they say, home is where the heart is! I guess people dont generally stay in one place too long if they dont like it, so usually where anyone is, they like it! Thank goodness its not all the same place or it might get crowded...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, I left because I met a fantastic Italian girl and moved to Italy to be with her!

I adore the UK, and I do miss it... but Italy (and my girlfriend) is/are so lovely that I am happy with my decision to leave.

They don't have proper pubs here though, or Marmite!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well as they say, home is where the heart is! I guess people dont generally stay in one place too long if they dont like it, so usually where anyone is, they like it! Thank goodness its not all the same place or it might get crowded...
So right! Part of having a great life is being able to travel to new and exciting places ,discovering and having so much fun on the way.Home really is where the heart is (and the sunshine too! of course)!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, I left because I met a fantastic Italian girl and moved to Italy to be with her!

I adore the UK, and I do miss it... but Italy (and my girlfriend) is/are so lovely that I am happy with my decision to leave.

They don't have proper pubs here though, or Marmite!

Damn...that is the best reason yet! Med girls are quite simply the best in Europe (a close run between Italian and Spanish...) but Italy wins it I think, anyway I take my hat off to you!
The first really good reason to leave blighty...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I can tell you one good thing about living in the UK....if your a youth or a Chav its perfect....terroristing everyone lol!!!! and also the excellent weather we have here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
High cost if living
Political Correctness
The Labour Party
Racism
Crime
Weather
Big Brother

Having spent the past 6 months back in my home country after 6 years away, I'm itching to leave it for good this time. It's not the country I grew up in.

There are problems in other countries, Eutopia does not exist but I have found one place that sure as hell is as close to it as I'll ever get!!!
YOu are close to Eutopia in Afghanistan? I am impressed!!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Anyone know any countries that charge really low or no income tax?
Dubai .... not taxes at all at the moment, but the cost of living is high so you probably pay more hidden taxes. :)

61 - 79 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.