Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well why not a sports club/social club in the Caldas area? My husband and I like badminton/table tennis. However, am not sure these are available. Does anyone know where we could play these sports? Does anyone have any other ideas? We both jog most days. Does anyone else enjoy jogging? How about cycling? All thoughts/ideas you can bring to the table are welcome.

·
Banned
905 Posts

Well why not a sports club/social club in the Caldas area? My husband and I like badminton/table tennis. However, am not sure these are available. Does anyone know where we could play these sports? Does anyone have any other ideas? We both jog most days. Does anyone else enjoy jogging? How about cycling? All thoughts/ideas you can bring to the table are welcome.
Hi Beverley

Please don't hate me but is this Boys Girls or other or anybody?

Peterfc :eyebrows:

·
Registered
132 Posts
the badminton federation is right here in caldas they from what i understand have facilities where you can practise and play competition level.i also believe that there are two or three other facilities where you can play,that i would have to check.regarding table tennis i have a place in foz do arelho where you can play for as long as you want and for free .if i can be of any help just let me know

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the badminton federation is right here in caldas they from what i understand have facilities where you can practise and play competition level.i also believe that there are two or three other facilities where you can play,that i would have to check.regarding table tennis i have a place in foz do arelho where you can play for as long as you want and for free .if i can be of any help just let me know

That's spifffing F Marks, thanks...very much appreciate the table tennis offer. We'll see who would like to join us. As regards competition badminton, am not sure we're quite at that level!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Hi Beverley,
We have two friends who have recently moved here and they are looking for people to play badminton with. I can give them your number if you like.

·
Registered
132 Posts
BEVERLEY AND PETER great idea theres so many things to do in the silver coast area!the women groups seem to work fairly well,but i've been told that in the past a joint group was mentioned ...but everyone turned it down.i don't believe we can get a social group off the ground,which is to bad!in my opinion (please everyone don't beat me up over this comment)is the expats here in portugal or maybe in other countries are retired and in a high age bracket!for some of us that retired at an early age are still gun ho and not willing just sitting around and gardening all day.social activities yes.....bowling night/dance night/bike tour in the country side and so much more...beverley count me in

·
Banned
533 Posts
That is true fmarks. The older women in the first club, (International), had a rule of no men aloud with exception of particular days out or Christmas party. So when the original group, split in 2, (International, and the “Vicki´s”), the women in booth keep that rule on. The International organizes regularly days out for families and friends, but is also where the “older biddies” are. Ups sorry guys
:love:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi Beverley,
We have two friends who have recently moved here and they are looking for people to play badminton with. I can give them your number if you like.
That would be much appreciated. Am not sure how to send a private message to you via this forum.

Have just found out from someone who you are. Have probably said hello to you in your shop, but didn't realise you are the famous Silvers!

·
Registered
171 Posts
BEVERLEY AND PETER great idea theres so many things to do in the silver coast area!the women groups seem to work fairly well,but i've been told that in the past a joint group was mentioned ...but everyone turned it down.i don't believe we can get a social group off the ground,which is to bad!in my opinion (please everyone don't beat me up over this comment)is the expats here in portugal or maybe in other countries are retired and in a high age bracket!for some of us that retired at an early age are still gun ho and not willing just sitting around and gardening all day.social activities yes.....bowling night/dance night/bike tour in the country side and so much more...beverley count me in
Will do. Have also thought a joint group would be a good idea. Have never been over keen on women only groups.

Beverley

·
Registered
64 Posts
less of the old biddies please, some of us are in that club and are still under 60 thankyou very much.
in fairness to the ladies clubs they do offer the women an opportunity to network, which is something they could not do some years ago, and a lot of women who initially came to live here found it quite lonely, not knowing anyone, not knowing how to get to them and not knowing the language, but they got organized, and good on them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
silly, not offended, its the yorkshire in me, felt the need to make a point. Sorry about that, anyway just remember the working men's clubs in england all had snooker rooms, and women were not allowed in them for years and years. how times have changed!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
There is a thriving badminton club in Caldas da Rainha

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
silly, not offended, its the yorkshire in me, felt the need to make a point. Sorry about that, anyway just remember the working men's clubs in england all had snooker rooms, and women were not allowed in them for years and years. how times have changed!!!

Good for you "j" some of the men seem to think that we still live back in those days

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tee Hee, as recently as ten years ago the local snooker club near me had a notice on the door: 'No dogs, no crisps, no women'. Yep, thank goodness things have changed, it hurts to be in third place to a packet of Walkers (apologies for going off topic!):)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts