Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting confused with ppl's dependency on agent. If i am qualified enough to apply for pr or student visa, then why i need to apply through them? Didnt feel good talking with them.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I am getting confused with ppl's dependency on agent. If i am qualified enough to apply for pr or student visa, then why i need to apply through them? Didnt feel good talking with them.
You don't. Expatforum and people here should be more than enough. Plus DIBP site has plenty of info.

Plus when one hear the horror stories of agent, one wonders if one is qualified enough for PR, why do they need an agent to fill up some forms online. Makes no sense. I mean after they immigrate, are they going to use agents for day to day activities too.

Reactions: Nusrat Jahan

·
Registered
182 Posts
Absolutely not necessary, infact having agent increases the anxiety and unnecessary additional cost besides you have to do most of your work yourself (like filling the forms, getting PCC, RnR letters, preparing and taking English tests etc.,)

As the member mentioned above, this forum has plenty of information which helps one to prepare for PR submission yourself.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I didn't use one

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I used one. Why? Here's my rationale:
  • I needed to move quickly. I went from naive to sourcing the right documents in minutes.
  • My age meant that I only got one shot at this. Better safe than sorry
  • The extra pair of eyes looking for mistakes, etc.
  • I perceived that a CO opening an application with the name of a reputable agent on the front page might have more comfort.
  • They helped me organise my time by indicating which activities would take longer. Example: they told me to get in touch with uni early for documents, as graduation and summer break approached. I caught them just in time thanks to this. Would have taken 2 months longer had I missed this.

That said, I've seen many reports on here of incompetent agents, especially in India. I can see why you might think twice when I see the service that many offer.

Reactions: JP Mosa

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have different view in this regards:-
1) Extra pair of eyes looking for mistakes.
2) Up to date info available with them.
3) In case of any issue, we can make them accountable(only MARA agents) for that mistake in front of assessing authority and they have to consider that. ( This is personal experience as faced by one of my friend).
4) They help in payment methods at all stages of visa processing.
5) Assessing authority consider applications filed by MARA agents near to decision ready stage.

^^^ These are only applicable for MARA agents^^^

You will not get any additional benefit for non-registered agents,

Yes, we have to shed extra money from pockets to avail these benefits. So, if some one feel confident that, he/she can handle it solely & solemnly, then proceed without fear as there are many forums like this to help such expats.

Good luck & Cheers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think most people who use agents are unaware of how straightforward the process it. All that is pretty much needed is to read the dibp website, read the assessing body's website, and then ask for help or clarification on a forum like expatforum.

·
Registered
128 Posts
For ICT it's not required imo, but i feel Engineers need one , as EA assessment is different and too academic in comparison to ACS. I personally know a friend of mine was having issue while filing his case to EA and an agent made his life easy , now he already received EOI .

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you are not willing to spare months researching, go for an agent. particularly for engineers coz CDR is no joke. I did it myself as I believed I could. Nowadays several people ask me for guidance and I do point them to the right direction but if they still don't do their homework or have no time, I honestly tell them to stop asking me and go for a good agent .

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
If you are not willing to spare months researching, go for an agent. particularly for engineers coz CDR is no joke. I did it myself as I believed I could. Nowadays several people ask me for guidance and I do point them to the right direction but if they still don't do their homework or have no time, I honestly tell them to stop asking me and go for a good agent .

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk
Yes, a good agent none the less. But you will still have to do your own CDR cos only you know what you studied or worked. Your agent won't write it for you. Else the agent might give you a CDR copied from someone and then you end up getting banned for 12 months.

So, consider that too.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am using one. I tried back in 2011 and again in 2014 to initiate the migration process on my own, and due to my demanding job nature and frequent business trips, I was never able to fully research and put together proper documentation to get the application moving.

As my age was catching up, I decided to use the service of the agent and now I was able to submit the EOI at least. Where I am from, there are scamming agents, there are unprofessional ones and there are also unreliable ones. I am a business analyst and by nature I make informed decisions based on analysis (it's my job :)) so after meeting, discussing, questioning and in fact challenging many agents, I settled for one that I was convinced could help me save my time. It was collective decision made along with my partner.

I use the help from this forum to educate myself on the process so that I know that my agent is doing the right thing, and also to prepare and plan for the move. It's a big decision to emigrate, and I definitely need all the help I could get.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
i don't know about other countries, but in bd it's not easy to trust anyone for anything. Heard that some agents actually forces ppl to submit their passport and other documents. These agents here doing nothing but trapping uneducated/less educated/confused ppl, as they know these ppl r desperate. One lady ( agent) today informed me that i have to have 300000 bdt monthly salary to be considered for research degree, i don't know where she came up with that!? if the agents are corrupted like this, they can actually delay and ruin my possibility. Plus as I'm a female im not comfortable trusting any agent while immigrating to a foreign country. I'll apply on my own, as i applied all my schools, universities, jobs etc. Rest is whatever God decides....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts