Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I thought that Dubai was the mecca for shopping but it looks that from the staple food to luxury end, everything is more expensive even including london vat. crazy or i am missing something

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Hi,
I thought that Dubai was the mecca for shopping but it looks that from the staple food to luxury end, everything is more expensive even including london vat. crazy or i am missing something
No, you're not missing anything.

Shops here, including the biggest names, are franchised to Arabic owning companies and thus do not benefit from the global supply network of other international branches.

Add in the logistics of importing to the desert and there is no sell through of stock - E-commerce doesn't exist to sell either current stock or discounted items through affiliated outlets. The one outlet mall is rubbish and doesn't really serve the purpose of an outlet mall.

Finally, Arabic ego and 'best price' mentality keeps alive the stone age trading practises of their ancestors.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm with valentino, stuff is at least 20% higher priced. The only "cheap" stuff is the knock off handbags in K***** markets which always seems packed with brit ladies enjoying the "Dubai bargains".

Dubai is marketed to the middle income segment (british and euro) as great for shopping - must be a real let down for them when they arrive.

Most of the stuff I buy here comes in on a plane via ebay and still cheaper than local dealers!

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Not everything is expensive. Many fodstiffs are at excellent prices, but you have to buy local. Try a trip to Union Co-Op or Lulu for
groceries.

The Shopping Festival starts shortly (albeit many sales are already on) which offers large discounts.

-

·
Registered
75 Posts
:eek: Do you think changing the name of Burj Dubai to Burj Khalifa on all the roadsigns happens for free? that the limited edition Bentleys and Lamborghinis that they drive, pay for themselves?

PISH POSH GUV'NOR, I SLAP YOU WITH A TROUT :boxing:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi,
Depends what you're looking for in your mecca.
For sheer numbers and variety of brands, retail names & flagship stores, Dubai is pretty hard to beat.

Its got most all of the mainstream american , european and asian brand names in this one city, which even some other major shopping capitals cannot claim to have.

This doesn't necessarily mean they come at a better price, but then again Dubai has never marketed itself as a bargain-type destination. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
82 Posts
Dubai wasnt always like this. The first time I ever came out here was back in 1998 to visit my sis who has been living here for 15+ years. Back then things were 20-30% cheaper than back home in Germany, but now its 20-30% more expensive. Why? I guess they figured that people would buy even if they sell it a higher price.

Also, I think its people from countries surrounding that really come to shop in Dubai. For instance, Iranians love to shop in Dubai because they have a larger variety of items, and they are usually cheaper than back home in Iran.....hopefully one day there will be a sensible regime in Iran which will get along just great with the US/Israel, and all these Arab countries in the PERSIAN Gulf will lose their strategic importance! Inshallah :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's not just goods in shops. I touched on this in another thread. I've been experiencing this in 2 fields: venue hire, and printed media and internet advertising.
Where else in the world could someone tell you (and we're talking big organisation here) with a straight face that you can hire their facilities for 50% of your takings??
How can placing a run of paper ad cost 4 times what it does in the UK? How can an internet site charge huge amounts of money for placing a logo you have supplied and copy you have supplied on a classifieds section? I could go on, but I won't.
It's greed, pure and simple. So many businesses here charge as much as they think they can get away with. It has nothing to do with selling at a fair mark up. I call it unethical :mad:

Anna
StageAbility

·
Registered
75 Posts
As far as I understand the word - capitalism implies competition

quite a few key sectors here are outright monopolies or sham duopolies with one arm being an eyewash and I don't wish to name names because the authorities here get butthurt about the truth

/That said titirangi one does not need waasta to open up a firm here, trading or otherwise. Being large scale competitive on the other hand is another matter entirely

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
I also didn't understand the comment about needing wasta to set up a company. I know plenty of people with companies who started them on their own and are doing perfectly well. You just need a lot of patience to deal with the red tape and a sound business plan/mind.

-

·
Registered
141 Posts
As far as I understand the word - capitalism implies competition

quite a few key sectors here are outright monopolies or sham duopolies with one arm being an eyewash and I don't wish to name names because the authorities here get butthurt about the truth

/That said titirangi one does not need waasta to open up a firm here, trading or otherwise. Being large scale competitive on the other hand is another matter entirely
yeah thats what i meant, small biz can be great, medium and large is a another story completely. MHO only, only been a year so you could say i'm talking out me arse! just what i picked up talking to western expats trying to take their small biz to the next level. you need a great local sponsor to open the doors or completely wasting your time. big deal are done over shisha in the majlis - kinda like back home spose except its normally in a pub somewhere.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi,
I guess it depends on what you are used to paying in your home country. I am currently living in Dublin Ireland and I have been comparing prices on recent visits to Dubai between both countries in preparation for moving my family there. I can honestly say that we will be better off in Dubai that Dublin (property rental prices excluded, which are crazy!!) I am lucky, this cost will be covered by my company.

• Food prices are the same if not slightly cheaper.
  • Clothing is the same.
  • T.V's and electrical goods are approximately 20% less expensive in Dubai.
  • Furniture is much less expensive.
  • Utility rates appear to be the same in Dubai from what people have told me they pay.
  • Cars are so much cheaper - as an example I drive a Honda CRV at home which cost 45,000 euro. I can get the same model here for 22,000 euro.
  • Petrol- say no more.
  • Eating out is around the same if not slightly less expensive.
  • Alcohol can be more expensive, however I have paid similar prices in hotels in Dubai to down town Dublin.
I cannot comment on other costs, however for day to day living, to me, it seems fine. It's all relative and like I said it depends on what you are used to. Ireland is an expensive country!

Anyway that's my take on things and we can't wait to set up our new life in Dubai

·
Registered
364 Posts
OK some stuff is more expensive, but having moved here from London, the basics here are a lot cheaper: supermarket food, transport, utilities, rent (now). Booze and books are my only regular purchases that are more expensive - so I bought an eReader and I drink less :D

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
OK some stuff is more expensive, but having moved here from London, the basics here are a lot cheaper: supermarket food, transport, utilities, rent (now). Booze and books are my only regular purchases that are more expensive - so I bought an eReader and I drink less :D
Books are expensive, UNLESS you come along to the charity booksale on Friday 5th Feb and stock up on bargains. ;)

-

·
Banned
598 Posts
I know all about greed... I'm American!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.