Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18,312 Posts
That's a classic case of how businessmen work anyways. Business men do support political parties and that is all, but their ideology lies only in spinning money, that's it..! They sway whichever way the wind blows.

Yes, figured that about QLD while being here. Yet Labour is in power and Labour is the one always targeting Murdoch empire. So what am I missing here about the power his empire wields? Or is Labour abusing Murdoch just a facade?
You haven't been there long enough to know how this all works in Australia and Murdoch's extremely long history there - don't forget Rupert Murdoch was born in Australia and started his career there.

You could perhaps take a look at this link, in particular Political Activities in Australia - although there is so much missing there that it's laughable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert_Murdoch

But what you really need to understand is that owning a media empire is totally unlike owning another kind of business when it comes to politics because it means you are the purveyor of the news. In Murdoch's case, it is certainly not a question, or has not been for 2 or 3 decades, of Australian politicians kow towing to him, it is the way he controls his editors, journalists and reporters when it comes to what stories to run, what spin to put on them, etc.

How could anyone thing that even think that a business man with an imense media empire, and one which is essentially a monopoly in sole states, is comparable to other powerful businessmen? :confused:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
You haven't been there long enough to know how this all works in Australia and Murdoch's extremely long history there - don't forget Rupert Murdoch was born in Australia and started his career there.

You could perhaps take a look at this link, in particular Political Activities in Australia - although there is so much missing there that it's laughable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert_Murdoch

But what you really need to understand is that owning a media empire is totally unlike owning another kind of business when it comes to politics because it means you are the purveyor of the news. In Murdoch's case, it is certainly not a question, or has not been for 2 or 3 decades, of Australian politicians kow towing to him, it is the way he controls his editors, journalists and reporters when it comes to what stories to run, what spin to put on them, etc.

How could anyone thing that even think that a business man with an imense media empire, and one which is essentially a monopoly in sole states, is comparable to other powerful businessmen? :confused:
You are right in saying that I haven't been long enough to understand this from an Oz perspective, hence my questions..!

I understand the importance media agencies wield in shaping politics and also voter perspective, no two doubts about that.

However, when I look around, it is the left that criticises Murdoch and his empire vehemently, but he is equally in cahoots with both side of the spectrum. I'm unable to understand this strange equation though and couldn't find any answers.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Every single news agency has US based correspondents. Most have one for business in NYC,one for entertainment in LA , one for politics in Washington and one general news one. They all file stories all the time.

OTOH even the largest groups have nobody in the majority of countries around the world. At best they have a freelancer.

That means it's relatively cheap and easy to run footage or print a story about the US. OTOH if you want a story on almost anything else you need to spend money.

·
Registered
18,312 Posts
Rupert Murdoch owns news outlets in the US (so he has a whole team of correspondents there and does not need to rely on just a few, nor international news agencies such as AFP - though of course he can pick up those stories and re-run them with he preferred bias, as well as in the UK and Australia.

In Australia it is true that at the moment the left is vehemently against him, though in reality most of the left have always been against him, albeit Kevin Rudd 'got into bed with him', which he now clearly regrets. Kevin Rudd though, and indeed many/most other members of the ALP these days, is not really on the left - he is more of the centre, or perhaps slightly left of centre.

The problem is that Murdoch, with his absolutely massive media empire, can greatly influence the electorate.

As for why Australian news carries a lot of American news - I have no idea why anyone would be surprised about that. America is a major global power and what it does impacts pretty much the entire world. Add to that Trump and Covid-19 at the moment and I think there you have the explanation. But it's much the same across the western world, including here in France. That is not to say that Australian news doesn't report on Australia and what is going on there. Plus in Australia you still have the government funded Australian Broadcasting Corportation, which is arguably one of the most unbiased in the world - albeit the LNP has always criticised the organisation accusing it of not being even-handed, and in government has significantly reduced funding, changed management (Ita Buttrose now lol) etc., meaning it is now very difficult for the organisation to conduct investigative journalism to former standards.

Australia's SBS TV station might, indeed should, be of interest to immigrants.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
In Australia it is true that at the moment the left is vehemently against him, though in reality most of the left have always been against him, albeit Kevin Rudd 'got into bed with him', which he now clearly regrets. Kevin Rudd though, and indeed many/most other members of the ALP these days, is not really on the left - he is more of the centre, or perhaps slightly left of centre.
That's interesting to know, considering Rupert Murdoch's first association was with Labour. Thanks..!

The problem is that Murdoch, with his absolutely massive media empire, can greatly influence the electorate.
The same influence is now being played out via social media platforms

Plus in Australia you still have the government funded Australian Broadcasting Corportation, which is arguably one of the most unbiased in the world - albeit the LNP has always criticised the organisation accusing it of not being even-handed, and in government has significantly reduced funding, changed management (Ita Buttrose now lol) etc., meaning it is now very difficult for the organisation to conduct investigative journalism to former standards.
Well, after watching ABC Breakfast news everyday for 3 years now, I tend to agree with LNP criticism. As an example with ongoing Covid crisis, they don't leave any moment to prop up Daniel Andrews and his lockdown model. So much so that their resident epidemiologist Dr. Norman Swann, while discussing higher case numbers in France, doesn't miss an opportunity to say "That's why Daniel Andrews' lockdown is the right way to do it". There is a continuous feed of pro-ALP narrative that is being fed very subtly. I'm yet to see any good words for NSW model of keeping numbers in control without any significant curb on civil liberties.

Australia's SBS TV station might, indeed should, be of interest to immigrants.
Yes, agree. Most of their news programme's are broadcast of International news in local languages.

·
Registered
18,312 Posts
That's interesting to know, considering Rupert Murdoch's first association was with Labour. Thanks..!
His first association was not with Labour. I have previously posted a link that included his earliest political involvement.

Well, after watching ABC Breakfast news everyday for 3 years now, I tend to agree with LNP criticism. As an example with ongoing Covid crisis, they don't leave any moment to prop up Daniel Andrews and his lockdown model. So much so that their resident epidemiologist Dr. Norman Swann, while discussing higher case numbers in France, doesn't miss an opportunity to say "That's why Daniel Andrews' lockdown is the right way to do it". There is a continuous feed of pro-ALP narrative that is being fed very subtly. And the Australian public hospital system has managed better than the totally run down French system.
All the stories I see, including the live reporting, don't give me that impression at all and report all of the issues in Victoria, including the emails that indicate that the Victorian Health Minister, despite his denials, knew about the hotel quarantine situation.

I don't see the ABC Breakfast News (time difference between France and Australia makes it rather difficult, if you know what I mean). I would say, though, that one regular commentator is just that, one regular commentator.

I'm yet to see any good words for NSW model of keeping numbers in control without any significant curb on civil liberties.
Have you forgotten the 3 buildings suddenly totally locked down in Sydney - and without any supplies at all until the following day?

The numbers in NSW were not under control for a very long time, for multiple reasons including the disembarcation of cruise ship passengers who went on their merry way and were later discovered, many testing positive.

That aside, we all have personal biases, which tend to cause us to read into reporting things that aren't necessarily there.

If Australia works for you, that's fine, and you adopt the political views you wish - that's your right.

I don't happen to think that Covid-19 has been handled particularly well in Australia. I certainly don't think that hotel quarantine has been handled well, including in Sydney, althuogh that seemed to eventuall improve somewhat. I don't consider that tracking and tracing has been handled well, considering the low numbers compared with other nations. I think the Federal Government failed completely in terms of its responsibilities relating to aged care homes, most notably in Victoria, though not only in Victoria. I think the Australian government failed early on when it was so very slow to evacuate Australians stuck on a cruise ship (the Ruby Princess IIRC) in Asia, albeit some of those passengers who ended up very seriously ill can't wait to go cruising again (there are always idiots). I happen to think that NZ did a far better job.

At the same time, I think the French government has done an appalling job all the way through (including being aware in January that there was an extremely serious epidemic that was likely evolving into a global pandemic, but made no preparations at all - at least Australia had stocks of PPE etc stored in special facilities around the country).

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
His first association was not with Labour. I have previously posted a link that included his earliest political involvement.
Should've clarified, that his first political association in Australia directly favoured ALP and his second ensured ALP's win. That is from Wiki link you had shared about Murdoch

All the stories I see, including the live reporting, don't give me that impression at all and report all of the issues in Victoria, including the emails that indicate that the Victorian Health Minister, despite his denials, knew about the hotel quarantine situation.

I don't see the ABC Breakfast News (time difference between France and Australia makes it rather difficult, if you know what I mean). I would say, though, that one regular commentator is just that, one regular commentator.
I watch ABC News Breakfast, Insights, The drum quite regularly. Unfortunately there is bias in their reporting and programme content which is quite obvious and very subtle. But I do agree they are best of the lot covering all aspects of the same.
As an example, when media debates are conducted (for e.g The Drum), there should be a fair representation from either sides to have points put, so that viewer has a fair idea from both sides. If you take Gladys - Maguire affair, surprisingly, public is in full support of her, however 90% of the panellist's ended up bashing her for what she did. That's not a fair representation, is it? If you were to take Vic lock down, which again has Vic public thumbs up, the same 90% is full praise of the same (and rightly so) and there is hardly anyone to paint the economic picture post lock-down.

Just to clarify, the issue is not about programme content, but the bias displayed by anchors in conducting programme's or being opinionated about a topic. They are entitled to have such an opinion, but being in their position, it should come out on air.

I'm not surprised either ways, because arts academia is pro-left world wide and most of anchors, journalists, come from this background, which shows up clearly on screen.

Have you forgotten the 3 buildings suddenly totally locked down in Sydney - and without any supplies at all until the following day?
Those building blocks were not in Sydney, but in Melbourne, assuming you are referring to these --> https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-53289616

The numbers in NSW were not under control for a very long time, for multiple reasons including the disembarcation of cruise ship passengers who went on their merry way and were later discovered, many testing positive.
I was talking about the so called second wave.
Cruise ship was a big mess up and both Federal and states screwed up badly. Benefit of doubt was given since it was the start of Covid and everyone was direction less.

That aside, we all have personal biases, which tend to cause us to read into reporting things that aren't necessarily there.
I'm yet to discover my bias within Australia. Like I said, the democratic system here is alien to me and I'm still trying to understand the full picture (I'm not a voter yet). I recently found out the preferential voting system, which confused me even more :D

At the same time, I think the French government has done an appalling job all the way through (including being aware in January that there was an extremely serious epidemic that was likely evolving into a global pandemic, but made no preparations at all - at least Australia had stocks of PPE etc stored in special facilities around the country).
That said, I pity every leader who is trying to balance Covid with Economy. What a mess to be in..! You control Covid by lockdown and you risk your economy. Act otherwise and Covid emergencies will cause mortality and wreck your healthcare system..!

·
Registered
18,312 Posts
The Wiki link is seriously incomplete.

France had no viable PPE (the little they had was falling apart) in March and beyond. That was during lockdown here, which was much more severe in France than it has ever been in Australia, so not at that time and issue of balancing public health and the economy. Later the French government said it was useless for the general public to wear masks (anywhere), rather than simply admit there was a severe shortage even for frontline medical staff. Of course now masks have to be worn pretty much everywhere, in some areas everywhere, when you are outside your home, and we are now in a sort of lockdown. The infection figures here are massive and increasing with the speed of light - but borders within the EU and with the UK are open, and hospitals are under serious pressure across the country, not just in some areas.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts