Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't you just love the Sapeurs-Pompiers? Pitched up to deal with a hornets' nest in the wall; Biohazard suits and gallons of pesticide and two hours later, they THINK it's fixed; if not I call them back in 2 days - all on the rates

:)

Am feeling substantially less miffed about paying just over 1K in Taxe Fonciere now.

·
Registered
'you can take the boy out of Sarf London, but you can't take Sarf London outta the boy'
1,766 Posts
Thats a hell of a taxe fonciere, but judging from the size of the hornets i have seen here it is money well spent!

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm yes, that's what people tell me about my TF, and I do get marginally aggravated that our TF are higher because we're within the Commune paying for the infrastructure, but a whole host of other places pay a good bit less and still benefit from the infrastructure. However, that's the way it is.

Compared to what I was paying in the UK for a property about the same size in 2002, it's about 2/3rds, so it's still OK.

·
Registered
'you can take the boy out of Sarf London, but you can't take Sarf London outta the boy'
1,766 Posts
I just sent my cheque off today and it is about 40% of yours. I would despair if mine reached your levels.........hornets or non.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I agree it's high in French terms; my place is ca. 200m2 over three habitable levels and in the Sous-Perfecture. I have had it checked by the powers-that-be, and it seems it's right. Of course I would love for it to be less but it isn't, so when I have need of services from the town I have no conscience about calling upon them.

I had a quote from a private firm to deal with the hornets - ca. 450E - so that's nearly half my TF straight off :)

Also was impressed the S-P asked for brooms, dustpans and bags to clear up after the mess they made; I said I'd do it; they said, nope - 's our job :)

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
We have associations for the protection of whales, squirrels, dogs and donkeys (Bev), elephants, otters, eagles etc.

...and why not the poor innocent hornet? SAVE THE HORNETS.

PS I expect some stinging replies to this post. I don't want to BEE waspish, let free speech be heard.

DejW

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I just sent my cheque off today and it is about 40% of yours. I would despair if mine reached your levels.........hornets or non.
Where are you in the Auvergne, Conky?

Oh, incidentally, I did have to sign a disclaimer form thingie to absolve the S-P of any damage they'd caused; still small potatoes considering the damage them buzzy things had already caused.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.