Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do Indians and Pakistanis in Dubai keep on staring at others? It's getting annoying and I know it's not just me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Because staring in india and pakistan mean nothing at all. In other countries , the way you look at people means something. But not there.

The way you hand anything to another person means nothing here, but it does in Korea.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I've only ever really seen them stare at attractive women and it would be a bit hypocritical of me to persecute them for that!

·
Banned
598 Posts
You arent going to last long here if you let little things like that bother you!

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I've noticed that the Spanish stare too. I'm of the opinion that actually it isnt that people of other nationalities stare as such or are being offensive, its that us Brits keep our heads down and dont look or stare cos we're frightened of upsetting anyone or making eye contact - ????! I've noticed here in Spain that if I "stare" back at someone staring at me, I get a lovely smile - something the British tend not to do. So see staring as a nice thing and not a problem - give em a big friendly smile

Jo xxx

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
People who just sqwat everywhere and anywhere, in the middle of no where or in the midst of everything, who just sit and watch every one go to and fro... ARE EVERYWHERE HERE.

I personally will never get used to it, but if you can somehow become immune to it, your life will be much easier. I am giving up running outside because of this making me so uncomfortable, that and the whole getting stopped as a russian prostitute twice...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Doesn't just happen in Dubai but happens in the UK as well....very recently I was working out at the gym and a couple of these guys of indian descent kept on looking at me....I don't know the reason behind it but it kept freaking me out a tiny bit lol!!

Not exactly comfortable when guys stare at you but if its a lady then fair enough I could deal with it lol.

Another thing with living in the UK is its hard to look at people right in the eye because of something that may happen, which could result in a fight or some sort.

Although, today while working out at the gym I did get a nice smile from this woman which was very refreshing. Its very rarely you get a stranger smiling at you.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Your in Canada and they are not nice and friendly??

I am from Texas, the south... so we are by nature just friendly people.

Are you a guy or a girl? This not being able to tell who is at least registered as a g uy or a girl is not so good. I would like to know whose prospective I am getting.

·
Banned
598 Posts
jynx, houston texas here... I do miss the southern hospitality.

But you girls have to realise that these guys prolly havent been laid in years so when they do see a women they tend to stare. They are harmless, just let them get thier little perverted visions in thier head so they have something to beat it to when they are alone. Thier lifes are really quite sad.

·
Registered
235 Posts

Are you a guy or a girl? This not being able to tell who is at least registered as a g uy or a girl is not so good. I would like to know whose prospective I am getting.
If you must know I am a guy and no I'm not in Canada but in the UK. I'd like to move there one day and you're wrong Canadians are friendly. I can't exactly comment on Americans/Texans being friendly but I've heard that southerners are very warm and welcoming hence thats why they provide excellent southerner hospitally as most people say.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Sorry, you have that you are in Canada, so I was thinking that what you were writing was about Canada.

·
Registered
226 Posts

South of I-10 ?? !! Bet you miss Whataburger !! I know I do and I am a Limey !!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I think they just stare at westerners (women and men) because somehow they think they (Indians) are "invisible" and people don't notice them when they stare. But it's annoying to feel like you're being observed and scrutinized.

Anyway, I like this line from Robert De Niro's movie "Midnight Run" where De Niro plays Jack Walsh, a bounty hunter:

Jack Walsh: Are you gonna propose to me?
Joey: Propose?
Jack Walsh: Propose! Because if you're not, don't keep starin' at me!

LOL check out the YouTube video

But you girls have to realise that these guys prolly havent been laid in years so when they do see a women they tend to stare. They are harmless, just let them get thier little perverted visions in thier head so they have something to beat it to when they are alone. Thier lifes are really quite sad.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think they just stare at westerners (women and men) because somehow they think they (Indians) are "invisible" and people don't notice them when they stare. But it's annoying to feel like you're being observed and scrutinized.

Anyway, I like this line from Robert De Niro's movie "Midnight Run" where De Niro plays Jack Walsh, a bounty hunter:

Jack Walsh: Are you gonna propose to me?
Joey: Propose?
Jack Walsh: Propose! Because if you're not, don't keep starin' at me!

LOL check out the YouTube video YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.
Enjoy the celebrity status !!! Now we know how it feels to be famous !!!

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
I dont eat beef.. so dont miss whataburger so much.

I do miss all the bbq, even though I just get the chicken everywhere I go. .. :) love all the sides that always come with bbq.

When I tell my friends back home about this staring thing, they always ask if its like the mexicans, which I find quite funny. They have nothing on the people here!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm of indian decent and having been born in the UK and now living in the USA, it's the same for me when i go to India or am around some one who is a FOB "Fresh Of the Boat".

It's normal in India/Pakistan to stare and it's not taken as perverted etc....so they do it without thinking us western people think it's rude!

They mean no harm at all...really!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mr Big's view is spot on. They do stare coz their lives are pretty sad. They dont scrutinize. For them westerners are entertainment,goodlooking entertainment.

But I woudnt use Deniro's "proposal" line..atleast not on some arabs. They'll actually make a move,lol. Mexicans,asians have nuthin on the arabs!

I say they should all do more sports and stop wandering around in flashy cars & in malls. But dubai wont be dubai then.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree with that but not only construction workers stare, even well-educated Indian/Pakistani expats do so

Mr Big's view is spot on. They do stare coz their lives are pretty sad. They dont scrutinize. For them westerners are entertainment,goodlooking entertainment.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree with that but not only construction workers stare, even well-educated Indian/Pakistani expats do so
Sean

I'm South Asian and moved here after living many years in Europe and North America. I understand how some of these would feel a bit odd. As one of the poster mentioned, they mean no harm absolutely whatsoever and most of these guys have probably never seen a Caucasian till they moved here as the cities they come from in India/ Pakistan may not be very cosmopolitan nor might have many tourists coming over.

There is also an element of inquisitiveness in some of their stares and the stares are not common only to south asians.

If you are brown and have traveled around in Eastern Europe (Poland and Latvia ) then you will understand the looks you get there and sometimes people even come and tell you that you look "Exotic" as until recently they have not met any brown person.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Just stare back with a big smile, its not really an issue, altho a lot of brits tend to think it is and dont like it - "what you lookin' at" is usually said aggressively by chavs and the like, cos brits find it threatening for some reason??!!!

Jo xxx

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.