Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been looking at the « likes » that I’ve received in this forum.

First, thank you to all of you who have been kind enough to “like” my ramblings.

Second, I’m often surprised by my posts that attract “likes”. Sometimes I try to write a logical, well argued post that attracts no likes at all. On the other hand, when I make an offhand quick comment without a lot of thought, I seem to attract multiple likes.

Therefore, time for a bit of self-navel gazing! Why am I surprised by the pattern of likes received? Some possibilities:

1. I’ve overestimated the intellectual nature of this forum, it is more fun orientated than serious? But, we have some very serious debates?

2. What I write as a serious post is seen by others as complete idiocy, and therefore people ignore me when I’m trying to be serious.

3. I don’t understand what it is that motivates people to push the like button. For me, I push the like button either when I strongly agree, or when the a point is well made, or it is funny and makes me smile. What is it that motivates you to push the “like” button?

4. I am the only sane person in this forum; everybody else is either stupid, paranoid, or just incapable of appreciating my finely crafted posts.

Please feel free to post your honest thoughts, I will not feel insulted. Or send me a PM if you wish.

DejW

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I’ve been looking at the « likes » that I’ve received in this forum.

First, thank you to all of you who have been kind enough to “like” my ramblings.

Second, I’m often surprised by my posts that attract “likes”. Sometimes I try to write a logical, well argued post that attracts no likes at all. On the other hand, when I make an offhand quick comment without a lot of thought, I seem to attract multiple likes.

Therefore, time for a bit of self-navel gazing! Why am I surprised by the pattern of likes received? Some possibilities:

1. I’ve overestimated the intellectual nature of this forum, it is more fun orientated than serious? But, we have some very serious debates?

2. What I write as a serious post is seen by others as complete idiocy, and therefore people ignore me when I’m trying to be serious.

3. I don’t understand what it is that motivates people to push the like button. For me, I push the like button either when I strongly agree, or when the a point is well made, or it is funny and makes me smile. What is it that motivates you to push the “like” button?

4. I am the only sane person in this forum; everybody else is either stupid, paranoid, or just incapable of appreciating my finely crafted posts.

Please feel free to post your honest thoughts, I will not feel insulted. Or send me a PM if you wish.

DejW
I hit the "like" button if I agree with or am amused by the reply, especially when someone tells it like it is.

Can't be No.4 - that's me ;)

Cheers

·
Registered
89 Posts
And I'll just ditto what David said!

And I resisted the urge to press the "like" button on your post DejW, though it made me smile!

Reactions: hils

·
Administrator
50,466 Posts
I think the "like" button is a phenomena of the social media generation. In most places I see it used, it seems to be a way of indicating "me, too!" or "yeah, that's what I was going to say" or just "well put!" without having to expand on the message.

In another forum I hang out on, there is no "like" button - the forum has been around for ages and dates back to the pre-social media days. People are starting to complain about "why isn't there a like button?" But oddly enough, we never used to need them.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Alternatively, could we have several buttons?

Agree
Disagree
Made me laugh

I too use the Like button as others have described above, but also just recently realised I use it to indicate "have read and appreciate; thanks" (as in recent birthday wishes) rather than the Thanks button which I use in genuine appreciation of info imparted ('cos it adds to the Reputation indicator).

And, for the record, I am No. 4 .... No, I am not a number ..... just call me Spartacus :D

Oh, and welcome back Gerda - nice to see you around here again :) All settled in now?

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Alternatively, could we have several buttons?

Agree
Disagree
Made me laugh

I too use the Like button as others have described above, but also just recently realised I use it to indicate "have read and appreciate; thanks" (as in recent birthday wishes) rather than the Thanks button which I use in genuine appreciation of info imparted ('cos it adds to the Reputation indicator).

And, for the record, I am No. 4 .... No, I am not a number ..... just call me Spartacus :D

Oh, and welcome back Gerda - nice to see you around here again :) All settled in now?
Facebook toyed with the idea of a dislike button but dropped it - far too prone for abuse apparently. Imagine the use of such buttons in the recent discussions re Maggie Thatcher :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.