Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only been here two short months. My family and I have moved from the USA for my husband's job. The plan is to stay two years. Almost every expat I have met had this same plan but have been here for longer. Some people have stayed 10 to 15 years beyond their plan. My question is why? What is it about Dubai that keeps the expats here? Is it the tax free money? Are this many people making so much money they do not want to return home? I though maybe it was the schools. It looks to me like the people that have remained past their planned years either had infants when they arrived or had children while over here. We have two children,one who is well beyond infant and another who is a toddler. We can only afford for one child to attend to school so we must stick to the two year plan.

So, what is about Dubai that keeps the exapts here so long?

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
The weather! - maybe

Money! - if you are lucky!

Schools - i dont think so!

The driving! - dont get me started!
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
No tax, weather, employer paying for my rent, having stuff to do, being able to go to places that aren't a bar or a 24 hour supermarket after 5pm, being able to come home from work any day of the year and go for a swim in a temperature controlled pool, a beach you can actually use without getting hypothermia, little brown people calling me "sir", the list goes on and on.

I'm almost certain I'd leave if I had kids and they reached school age though, the cost is prohibitive and the standard of education doesn't appear to be that great either.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
For some its the brunches and having housemaids, others get stuck because of the schools; not because they are great, but because they dont want to uproot their kids at critical stages of their education.

And there are those who do not want to risk leaving a stable job/income. I would guess this would apply to a large portion of expats

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
I also think that people get sucked into the expat lifestyle - overstretch themselves financially and actually find it difficult to pay debts here - let alone settle back in their home country or move on to a different place.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
580 Posts
For a lot of people I have talked to it comes down to having over time built up their business network and reputation. Moving back means starting over again, which isn't always realistic.

Having an open ended commitment is IMHO one difference between being an expat and just doing an overseas tour a la the government. Having done both I think it's a completely different mindset.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Lots of pro's...
- $ (but not 100% tax-free as Americans)
- free rent and utilities
- free car and gas
- free school (public school back home is "free" too, but quality depends)
- free golf (and lots of nice golf courses here)
- nice weather 1/2 year
- free flights (lots of, part of package)
- lots more vacation days
- everything available within 30-45 minutes of my house
- snow ski year around
- waterski same day after snow ski
- easy access to beach
- can drive fast ;)
- cars as cheap as US (unlike Asia)

Lots of con's too... :eek:

But pro's are outweighing con's so we stay...

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
career?
maybe you make a carrer jump to come here, and there is not a further jump to go to back home? dependent on industry / state of economy etc

if you've not got a solid plan to save money while you are here, and you find yourself in a holding pattern, it's time to go home, or re-figure your finances.
2 years is tough to make money, as it will cost you to move here, and it will cost you to leave.
There are set up costs here, and probably exiting costs back home 9selling cars / sorting out houses for rental etc)
lots of upheaval for a 2 year stint.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Mostly tax free income and a bump in salary - take home increase of 70%+
Free rent
Free car
Free gas
No winters - morning mountain bike 365 days
Six 9 day holidays a year + government holidays versus three 9 day holidays + government holidays
Short/cheap flights to Thailand
Decent SCUBA or short flight to Maldives, Thailand, etc.
$100 a month for maid service versus $100 per week
Somebody comes and collects my laundry (not available in my neck of the woods)
Somebody delivers my water and groceries if I want (not available in my neck of the woods)
I have a tea boy
Lots of women who don't seem to mind that I am getting to be an old fart
I live on a high floor over looking the Marina and the beach - in Indiana that would be the 2nd floor over looking cornfields.
In summary, I have more money and more fun here.:D

·
Registered
864 Posts
Lots of pro's...
- free rent and utilities
- free car and gas
- free school (public school back home is "free" too, but quality depends)
For any newcomer reading this, please do not move here thinking this is representative of most expat packages
:D
true, but unless this was included in the package, newcomers should not really consider moving here...

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I think I am the only who doesn't make a huge money in Dubai. Free gas, golf, rent, utility, car? Say whaat?
It depends on the industry that you are working in, plus your origin and experience.

For mine, that is the package for the last 18 years of expat across many countries.

Your package might be including them into a lump sum, perhaps... :confused: Mine is separated out: base salary + coefficient of which country (i.e. hardship for poor countries, cost of living adjustment for expensive countries) + car allowance (i.e. choice of cash or rental car, inc gas) + housing (i.e. size depending on family size) and all utilities + etc...

G

·
It depends on the industry that you are working in, plus your origin and experience.

For mine, that is the package for the last 18 years of expat across many countries.

Your package might be including them into a lump sum, perhaps... :confused: Mine is separated out: base salary + coefficient of which country (i.e. hardship for poor countries, cost of living adjustment for expensive countries) + car allowance (i.e. choice of cash or rental car, inc gas) + housing (i.e. size depending on family size) and all utilities + etc...
Well I had only 1 year professional experience when I moved over here last year, so naturally, I couldn't have a package like that, otherwise it would not be fair to your 18+ years of experience. :)

·
Registered
864 Posts
...people calling me "sir"...
Most of the people at work jumping up out of respect (or some misplaced sense of fear?) when I walk into a room... and a very few in white robes that outrank me who couldn't give a rats ass...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Tax free money is always good since our ages are moving up and we will need it all. Being able to travel is easy.good friends.Good vacations 21/2 months plus the islamic holidays.I will say it I like brunches and being with friends at them.Having a person cook one a week and a person clean once a week is nice. Events that pop up and we can afford to go to.

I do work hard,so why not.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
true, but unless this was included in the package, newcomers should not really consider moving here...
totally disagree.
It's all about how the package is structured.
agree it needs to be covered.
if your TOTAL package is big enough to cover all this, great, but it does not need to be all based on allowances.

·
Registered
858 Posts
totally disagree.
It's all about how the package is structured.
agree it needs to be covered.
if your TOTAL package is big enough to cover all this, great, but it does not need to be all based on allowances.
spot on

getting an all in cash deal is also far better when it comes to end of service gratuities

that is probably the reason so many here are on basic salary + endless allowances deals - they'll only get end of service paid on the basic salary

1 - 20 of 49 Posts