Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean, not even in Wal-Mart. There's only those string mops. There are sponges, there are mops, but no sponge mops.

·
Super Moderator
8,990 Posts
Jo[I said:
Parsons;791847]I mean, not even in Wal-Mart. There's only those string mops. There are sponges, there are mops, but no sponge mops.
Could it be because they are not used by the typical Mexican ama de casa?

·
Super Moderator
8,990 Posts
why not? Do you know of any stores that do carry them?
The traditional way to mop floors in a Mexican is to throw a little bit of water on the floor and mop it up with a jerga, an all purpose cleaning rag, and that's what I do. I've never looked for sponge mops in stores I frequent in Mexico City, but I'll do so the next time I go shopping.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Sponge mops don't work particularly well on tile or pasta floors; they will tear on the edges of the tiles.

Aside from whatever tradition dictates, it would seem that, in most homes in MX, they'd be a waste of money.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate all the advice. I do have tile floors and I was wondering if that was why . . . But I'd sure appreciate the opportunity to waste money one time before I give up on the sponge mops.

Thanks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My cleaning lady uses a cleaning rag draped onto a squeegee. I haven't watched her do it, but she does a fine job on the floors. I brought a vacuum and a floor steamer that works great on tile, but I'm happier using Marcela.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I bought a string mop years ago and it practically came apart after a few uses. Then it mildewed and I threw it away. Later I bought a sponge mop and it was just terrible on tile floors. Worse was that I couldn't find any replacement sponges. Then I bought a mop whose head was of that water-absorbing material. It is similar to a string mop and it works great, but not a good as Maria and her rag and squeegee. I've given up on mops and let Maria do her work without my interference.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks; no Home Depot in Tepic. I may just break down and do the string thing . . . Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
The grout between tiles and the sharp edges of cut tiles will destroy a sponge mop in no time. It is also rough on rag mops or string mops, but they do last a reasonable amount of time.
If you have a maid, she'll do it her way; not yours.

·
Registered
381 Posts
We have got our maid to use a small vacuum on the floors before the string mop. It is more effective with the dust, especially on the furniture and drapes.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The trick with sponge mops, if you find one, is to buy a lifetime supply of sponge refills, because more than likely you'll never find them again. They are great for keeping a small area clean, such as a kitchen, but not a tiled non-carpeted house.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I recall that when I arrived in Mexico for the very first time, the sight of cleaning staff in the airport mopping floors with a jerga (cloth) draped over a recogedor (squeegee) was one of the things that struck me as odd. It was the first time I´d ever seen this method. Why do they "improvise" the tool instead of having a dedicated mop, I wondered. It wasn´t long before I saw how much more practical this is than sponge mops or string mops. Why not go with the flow?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I recall that when I arrived in Mexico for the very first time, the sight of cleaning staff in the airport mopping floors with a jerga (cloth) draped over a recogedor (squeegee) was one of the things that struck me as odd. It was the first time I´d ever seen this method. Why do they "improvise" the tool instead of having a dedicated mop, I wondered. It wasn´t long before I saw how much more practical this is than sponge mops or string mops. Why not go with the flow?
While living in Israel, we used the same thing, a squeegee with a rag over it for washing, then the squeegee alone for mopping up the water into the drain in the hard floor. The floors were terrazzo or tile so it was most effective.

We will be bringing something new when we come down. "She Who Must Be Obeyed" purchased a Bissell Steam Mop for our hardwood floors and bathrooms here in the States, and I must say it works well. It is still basically a wet mop, albeit with steam, which you can follow up with a dry mop if you want. Let's see how long it lasts in Mexico and whether our maid* will think that SWMBO is out of her gringa mind! :D

*just a note: the concept of a maid is hard to wrap my head around. We've lived together for 40 years and never employed a maid (I know, SWMBO is deprived!) so the whole idea is new to us. The maid, as well as the gardener, came with the house and is included in the cost! One of the sweet perks of retiring to Mexico.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There's a lot of humidity where I live, so a sponge mop would become a stinky mildew-spreader in no time. I use the rag-and-squeegee method but use a higher-tech, super-absorbent cloth instead of the traditional cotton rag. The high-tech cloth is a lot lighter, wrings out more easily, dries more quickly, and absorbs everything. I found the cloth at Chedraui or a similar store and it has lasted a year so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
sponge mop

I mean, not even in Wal-Mart. There's only those string mops. There are sponges, there are mops, but no sponge mops.
I never thought about that but I would suggest to look for it in a cleannig supply warehouse or there are streets in every city in mexico´s down town cities that sale specified things one street for pots and pans other for electronics etc there you should be able to find a street that sales cleannig supplies and hopefully a sponge mop I hope that helps good luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.