Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Bald ray said:
Why do people do visa runs?
I am looking at coming to Dubai so does it mean I can start a little house maintence company and just keep doing visa runs or would I end up in jail.
You get a 30 day visa when u enter Dubai, people do runs so that the 30 days can be extended for another 30 days. You cannot work whilst on this visa though as it's a tourist visa so it would be illegal for you to start working on just the tourist visa

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

You get a 30 day visa when u enter Dubai, people do runs so that the 30 days can be extended for another 30 days. You cannot work whilst on this visa though as it's a tourist visa so it would be illegal for you to start working on just the tourist visa
Thanks for that, tout I found a way of living in Dubai, oh well back to the drawing board many thanks for the info.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Bald ray said:
Thanks for that, tout I found a way of living in Dubai, oh well back to the drawing board many thanks for the info.
I'm not sure how you go about doing it as self employed but I'm sure some of the others who have been here for a while can help out more. Sorry I can't be of much more assistance

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
To be your own company, if is consulting and not actually trading a good, you can go through the free zones. When it gets into providing supplies, then you have to get a local sponsor to have a uae company, and it gets sticky...

Many people work on the side or work full time on their own doing stuff, and just do the visa runs. It is illegal. You can not enter into a lease without a valid visa. You can not obtain utilites and kids are not able to attend school. Just lots of issues.

As well..... if anyone should not want to pay you, you could NEVER say anything, as you are working illegally and will be jailed for doing so. ;) Little piddly 1000 dirham jobs no big deal. But if you did a hvac install and is a 10000 dirham job and then you didnt get paid....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, thank you.
While you are on here I am coming out in a few weeks as my daughter and family live at the villas. Do you think it would be easier to get a visa by finding a job ? While I am there

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
It's illegal to work on a visit visa though many people do it, it's why visa runs are so popular*. However you have zero legal rights, cannot open a bank account, have to sublet a house, can't buy a car, won't be able to pick up commercial premises and so on.

It's workable for a young single person, sharing digs and working cash in hand at events, PR, hospitality etc impossible if you intend to set up a business of any kind.

One thing to bear in mind is there are many petty, vindictive and hatefully ugly people in Dubai that are only too willing to run to the authorities, often just for sport. A debtor would gladly grass you up rather than pay even a 20 quid bill. It's best your business is water tight

I see this is your 2nd post on the subject, have you done any kind of due diligence, worked out a business plan, forecasts, got some investment etc? Pub talk and actual business formation are two very different things, especially out here where this entire city is bandit country and makes the UK building trade seem like playgroup.

* Not the only reason and there are many perfectly legit reasons for having to do them eg company PRO taking forever or in between jobs.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
To follow up on "petty, vindictive" people mentioned by Rossi, take a look at this news:

A company allows their employee to leave and join another company
However they change their mind after the employee has left, and file an absconding case
The poor guy is languishing in jail, and the company amazingly, refuses to lift the absconding case

They wont gain anything by reporting him absconding, and it just shows pettiness and vindictiveness and a desire to harm someone "because i have the power" even if they dont gain something

Just switching jobs sent Filipino and PRO to UAE jail - Emirates 24/7

1 - 8 of 8 Posts