Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I am visiting Dubai next week and wanted to know what is the best way to find a job whilst being there. I am a IT professional who has been actively looking for roles in Dubai as a support engineer but i do not get any responses. I am keen on finding a role there so i can relocate there with my wife.

Could anyone offer me any advice?

Thanks

Nasir Isrolia

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
As an IT Support engineer from the UK, you can pretty much sit back, enjoy the sun and go home again well rested although very sunburnt.

The average 'IT Support Engineer' role in the UAE is dominated by people from very low cost countries and unless you have some truly unique skills, or are a senior person, you'll struggle, as they can hire someone from India who costs about 25% of what you expect.

Sorry but good IT people are ten a penny out here and bad ones cost about the same.!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi All

I am visiting Dubai next week and wanted to know what is the best way to find a job whilst being there. I am a IT professional who has been actively looking for roles in Dubai as a support engineer but i do not get any responses. I am keen on finding a role there so i can relocate there with my wife.

Could anyone offer me any advice?

Thanks

Nasir Isrolia

I also get no responses what so ever. I'm a health & safety officer and have been looking and emails agencies/ business but no reply at all. I'm starting to think that unless your knock on people's doors your won't hear anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I'm a health & safety officer
Recent changes to legislation point HSE staff vacancies in the direction of Emirati's.

While its not completely reserved, the number of HSE staff per company is quite low which mans in practice that the percentage of Emirati's taking the jobs is quite high.

I know of two large civil engineering companies who had to ditch staff with decades of site HSE experience to make way for an Emirati, with shall we say, less experience than one might have hoped for.

https://www.thenational.ae/uae/gove...t-be-employed-in-construction-sector-1.200715

Of course, none of this will end badly as they inspections will continue in full force throughout the summer heat and nobody will hide inside their aircon office will they ?

It doesnt mean you cannot get a job but your chances are much reduced.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
And, as an HSE you must realise that if someone gets injured or even worse, killed while on your watch it is YOU who will go to jail - at least initially.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Recent changes to legislation point HSE staff vacancies in the direction of Emirati's.

While its not completely reserved, the number of HSE staff per company is quite low which mans in practice that the percentage of Emirati's taking the jobs is quite high.

I know of two large civil engineering companies who had to ditch staff with decades of site HSE experience to make way for an Emirati, with shall we say, less experience than one might have hoped for.

https://www.thenational.ae/uae/gove...t-be-employed-in-construction-sector-1.200715

Of course, none of this will end badly as they inspections will continue in full force throughout the summer heat and nobody will hide inside their aircon office will they ?

It doesnt mean you cannot get a job but your chances are much reduced.

That's disappointing, but great for the local Emirati's. All feed back is appreciated thank you. It's my dream job to continue my career as HSE in Dubai ill keep on trying.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I realise that. Same applies also in the UK.
Not even remotely the same as in the UK.

In the UK, there will be long extended enquiries, investigations and after a long period of time, there might be court case which more often than not, nothing happens.

In the UAE, they are most likely to put you in jail immediately, until the court case is held, then confiscate your passport if they let you out and you'll be here for a long time until a court rules. But you won't be able to leave.

And if an Emirati is killed, expect even more harsh treatment.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
That's disappointing, but great for the local Emirati's. All feed back is appreciated thank you. It's my dream job to continue my career as HSE in Dubai ill keep on trying.

You say you don't get replies ...... are you actually applying for roles that exist being advertised for western expats or are you just speculatively sending CV's and emails ?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
It's my dream job to continue my career as HSE in Dubai ill keep on trying.
Really? If I was an HSE guy this would be more like my nightmare. Excessive "official" safety policies based on the old Shell safety book at the same time most of your labor will have no idea in regards to real safety.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts