Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi
After Friday Typhoon Haiyan I want to build a storm shelter
at our house in Mindanao. Storm shelter made of concrete or steel, above ground or underground anything will do?

Who sell/build Storm shelter in Philippines?

/erik

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I would go with concrete with reinforced steel. Also, recommend it be at least 20M above sea level if at all possible (depending on how close to the coast you are). From what I read the storm surge in Tacloban went at least 1km inland. Tacloban is low lying and flat.

You might want to look at something that is either domed or looks to the north (most storms come from the south and either east or west). Maybe built into the side of a hill??

I doubt that there is anyone in the business of making these. Your best bet is to find a good design and hire someone local to build to your specs. (generator, well pump access come to mind)

Someone was posting on here about the same thing the other day and I can't find the link.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The house is inland far away from water. I guess then it just need to be strong enough for wind and flying debris. Must try to find a good design and hire someone, that's a good idea thanks

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Storm Safety Shelters/Houses

Jon has some good ideas here and all sound reasonable to me. In or on the island of Guam,, not too far from the Philippines, they deal with these kinds of storms every year. As a result most all homes are solid concrete that is steel reinforced. Don't know who to contact personally but you might try getting phone numbers or email addresses for contractors there. They would probably have specs and building plans that you could buy and use...

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Jon has some good ideas here and all sound reasonable to me. In or on the island of Guam,, not too far from the Philippines, they deal with these kinds of storms every year. As a result most all homes are solid concrete that is steel reinforced. Don't know who to contact personally but you might try getting phone numbers or email addresses for contractors there. They would probably have specs and building plans that you could buy and use...
I would also research the US Navy specs (maybe DOD) for housing in Okinawa. Those places have survived many a typhoon without issue. Albeit most of their housing doesn't have to deal with tidal surge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would also research the US Navy specs (maybe DOD) for housing in Okinawa. Those places have survived many a typhoon without issue. Albeit most of their housing doesn't have to deal with tidal surge.
I sent out some Emails see what response I get. Especially Ianconstruction in Guam.

The DOD STANDARDS would be cool but maybe get to expensive

·
Registered
998 Posts
Your House

I sent out some Emails see what response I get. Especially Ianconstruction in Guam.

The DOD STANDARDS would be cool but maybe get to expensive

If you own your home and don't have to worry about the ocean crashing into it can't you just strengthen your house instead of making a shelter? And do things like have plywood on standby to cover windows. Or strengthen one room to retreat to.

From the on the ground pics I've seen it appears sturdy well built concrete/brick homes are still standing. It's when they're made substandard that there was trouble.

Or maybe I'm just completely ignorant :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you own your home and don't have to worry about the ocean crashing into it can't you just strengthen your house instead of making a shelter? And do things like have plywood on standby to cover windows. Or strengthen one room to retreat to.

From the on the ground pics I've seen it appears sturdy well built concrete/brick homes are still standing. It's when they're made substandard that there was trouble.

Or maybe I'm just completely ignorant :p

Yea maybe that's the way to do it. Yea why not, one of the rooms could be reinforced. On Friday the Haiyan storm wind was around 200mph and that is crazy. I live in sweden, we have every second year in autumn a storm with wind at 55mph. We dont go out that day it's a bit risky

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Weather Dangers

Yea maybe that's the way to do it. Yea why not, one of the rooms could be reinforced. On Friday the Haiyan storm wind was around 200mph and that is crazy. I live in sweden, we have every second year in autumn a storm with wind at 55mph. We dont go out that day it's a bit risky
Staying inside during high wind is a wise idea. Here, when there is a typhoon, high winds make even a plastic drink lid or blade of grass travelling through the air a weapon that can cause death.
If you get the chance, watch the movie titled "Night Of The Twisters." (Below)... Almost the same effect in a typhoon with items flying through the air. Scary stuff and pays to have a home that will keep everyone safe in the event of such things.

Reactions: scotttish

·
Registered
998 Posts
Would be easy to put a rebar reinforced concrete ceiling on the CR to turn it into a shelter, then if the house roof blows off you're still ok

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would be easy to put a rebar reinforced concrete ceiling on the CR to turn it into a shelter, then if the house roof blows off you're still ok
That sounds like a rebuild of the house, what about the room, should I madrass the walls of the room with steel-plates or??. Any tips on that would be grate. Turning one room into a safe-room feels more and more like duable

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
That sounds like a rebuild of the house, what about the room, should I madrass the walls of the room with steel-plates or??. Any tips on that would be grate. Turning one room into a safe-room feels more and more like duable
Others may have answers or experience with the steel plating etc. But one thing comes to mind with the "safe room" approach. There needs to be some form of ventilation as well as being large enough to hold not only the family members, but also to have room for a 5 to 7 day supply of food, water, and needed first aid materials and Rx medicines etc. Also, that safe room needs to be secure enough to keep out the criminal element that I am reading about in and around the typhoon hit area. Major disasters can and will turn decent people into dangerous animals...

Reactions: jon1

·
Registered
998 Posts
Others may have answers or experience with the steel plating etc. But one thing comes to mind with the "safe room" approach. There needs to be some form of ventilation as well as being large enough to hold not only the family members, but also to have room for a 5 to 7 day supply of food, water, and needed first aid materials and Rx medicines etc. Also, that safe room needs to be secure enough to keep out the criminal element that I am reading about in and around the typhoon hit area. Major disasters can and will turn decent people into dangerous animals...
Yes it would depend on if you need to live in it also, got the feeling this was just to survive the hr or two the typhoon is passing thru but guess you need to be able to eat or drink after!

I was just throwing ideas out there, I'm sure there's tons of info on this stuff online especially with the doomsday sites.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Requirement for the room is, strong enough during a storm. The other elements of threats as you mention, have surely increase and it's terrifying but hey what can we do if we get robbed, just give them what they want and not start something that can escalate to something more threatening then the storm. :brushteeth:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Also, that safe room needs to be secure enough to keep out the criminal element that I am reading about in and around the typhoon hit area. Major disasters can and will turn decent people into dangerous animals...
This is more true than not. Images of Hurricane Katrina come to mind. It just shows you how close civilization is to all out chaos. I understand how the police/military provide the stability to avoid most of this. It is outrageous for a Federal government to think that a local governments can handle the security situation on their own for disasters of such magnitude. The Federal governments should be able to wade in almost immediately to prevent the needless atrocities (revenge murders, rape, robberies) that commonly occur with the vacuum of civil order that commonly follow these events.

I have witnessed these behaviors in post-war and post-catastrophe situations and see this as an all too common pattern irregardless of country and religion.

In these situations its best to remain low profile. To run the generator only as needed (mainly when using your well to get stockpiles of water), especially during the day so that it does not become a target for theft as easily (located by it's noise in the night). I would arm myself for the protection of my loved ones irregardless of what the laws are as there would be no law enforcement to fear. The weapons would disappear upon resumption of civil order.

I really like the brainstorming of ideas within this thread and the willingness to evaluate or learn from the hard lessons being relearned during this calamity..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is more true than not. Images of Hurricane Katrina come to mind. It just shows you how close civilization is to all out chaos. I understand how the police/military provide the stability to avoid most of this. It is outrageous for a Federal government to think that a local governments can handle the security situation on their own for disasters of such magnitude. The Federal governments should be able to wade in almost immediately to prevent the needless atrocities (revenge murders, rape, robberies) that commonly occur with the vacuum of civil order that commonly follow these events.

I have witnessed these behaviors in post-war and post-catastrophe situations and see this as an all too common pattern irregardless of country and religion.

In these situations its best to remain low profile. To run the generator only as needed (mainly when using your well to get stockpiles of water), especially during the day so that it does not become a target for theft as easily (located by it's noise in the night). I would arm myself for the protection of my loved ones irregardless of what the laws are as there would be no law enforcement to fear. The weapons would disappear upon resumption of civil order.

I really like the brainstorming of ideas within this thread and the willingness to evaluate or learn from the hard lessons being relearned during this calamity..
Hope it will calm down when we go dec 2. It's really good you bring this up as a reminder of the reality .

·
Registered
998 Posts
That sounds like a rebuild of the house
I don't know.....anybody with experience in the PI knows they can tear down and rebuild anything you need, I've always really appreciated their resourcefulness!

·
Registered
1 Posts
A company in Cagayan De Oro called Homechoice Builders will build anything you want in concrete and re-bar. They have a in-house architect who will design whatever your specs call for... try them

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A company in Cagayan De Oro called Homechoice Builders will build anything you want in concrete and re-bar. They have a in-house architect who will design whatever your specs call for... try them
Grate thanks, Just dropped them an E-Mail. It's two hour drive from me, will see
what they say.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Another thing to check would be places up in Batanes. The wife tells me that they get a lot of storms there, and that most of the houses are built of concrete, or stone.

As far as survival, just do some Google searching for stuff on tornadoes (pretty close to typhoons), homesteading, survival living, etc. That will give you some pretty good ideas.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts