Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading through lots of old posts and iften left windering whether they did it or not, whether they made the move to Spwin. Long time members I am sure would have seen hundreds of posters come and go over the years (still sitting on their sofas in old blightly watching Corrie).

So who started off on her with an array of questions and actually did make the move?

And what do the actual expats think of the constant stream of posts about moving that you know aren't going to amount to anything?

I ask as in a few years (hopefully) i would like to look back at my time and contribution to this site and think, wow i did.

·
Registered
148 Posts
We didn't! Hummed and hawed but decided economic climate wasn't good enough. Still in Scotland (but don't watch Corrie, no time or inclination). We have also considered Canada, France and Australia as potential destinations. We are still thinking about it but kind of thinking now that a holiday home or a long term rental may suit us better. Enables us to protect our incomes here.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
It would also be interesting to know about those who came full of the 'Spanish dream' and were obliged to return to the UK when their dreams turned sour.

As for my views on the subject....like others, I give advice if I feel it could be of use. But I'm too busy getting on with my life to give much thought to what others did or didn't do. All the advice in the world won't stop people determined to do something from doing it and experiences of any kind whether good or bad are, for most people, invaluable learning aids.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
We did it. We bought a house in Spain 12 years ago, initially as a holiday home but always with the intention of retiring here when we were able to. When we bought the house we did it without asking any questions on a forum (I didn't know the existed at the time!) but I did do a lot of research on the internet about the buying process, tax, healthcare, etc. We knew the general area we were interested in pretty well from numerous holidays, at various times of the year including winter, and narrowed the search area down to one area in one town from preliminary visits.

Duriing the period between buying the house and moving over permanently, I did join a Spanish forum (not this one, I wish I'd found it earlier) and, as you do, outlined what our plans were. I was immediately showered with negative comments and advice including "the amount you will have to live on won't be enough and you'll run out of money", "well I couldn't live on a fraction of that, why on earth would anybody want to", "you'll get bored not working and end up wanting to go back to the UK, I know lots of people who did that", "you have no idea what it's like to live here full time and the weather is awful, too hot in the summer and too cold and wet in the winter", blah, blah, blah.

Well, here we are, coming up to 9 years since we ignored the doomsayers and moved. No, we didn't run out of money and now have our pensions coming in (although it's true that when the financial crisis hit - we moved towards the end of 2006 . the fall in the exchange rate did mean that our spending power was considerably less than originally expected). No, neither of us got bored or have any wish to return to the UK. No, we don't find the weather awful. There are a few days each summer when it's too hot for comfort and it rains sometimes in the winter, we can cope with that.

When I read questions now from people wanting to make the move, I am generally supportive if they have an income coming in (from pensions or any other source), or sufficient capital to last until they have, and are being realistic about where they want to live (personally I think it's unwise to live in an isolated spot when you are gettiing older). I dscourage those who say "we're in our 20s/30s/40s with a young family, we're fed up with life in the UK and want to move to Spain, we'll need to find work but we'll turn our hand to anything" because I don't think they have any real idea of just how hard that will be given the unemployment situation in Spain.

·
Registered
77 Posts
We did it. We bought a house in Spain 12 years ago, initially as a holiday home but always with the intention of retiring here when we were able to. When we bought the house we did it without asking any questions on a forum (I didn't know the existed at the time!) but I did do a lot of research on the internet about the buying process, tax, healthcare, etc. We knew the general area we were interested in pretty well from numerous holidays, at various times of the year including winter, and narrowed the search area down to one area in one town from preliminary visits.

Duriing the period between buying the house and moving over permanently, I did join a Spanish forum (not this one, I wish I'd found it earlier) and, as you do, outlined what our plans were. I was immediately showered with negative comments and advice including "the amount you will have to live on won't be enough and you'll run out of money", "well I couldn't live on a fraction of that, why on earth would anybody want to", "you'll get bored not working and end up wanting to go back to the UK, I know lots of people who did that", "you have no idea what it's like to live here full time and the weather is awful, too hot in the summer and too cold and wet in the winter", blah, blah, blah.

Well, here we are, coming up to 9 years since we ignored the doomsayers and moved. No, we didn't run out of money and now have our pensions coming in (although it's true that when the financial crisis hit - we moved towards the end of 2006 . the fall in the exchange rate did mean that our spending power was considerably less than originally expected). No, neither of us got bored or have any wish to return to the UK. No, we don't find the weather awful. There are a few days each summer when it's too hot for comfort and it rains sometimes in the winter, we can cope with that.

When I read questions now from people wanting to make the move, I am generally supportive if they have an income coming in (from pensions or any other source), or sufficient capital to last until they have, and are being realistic about where they want to live (personally I think it's unwise to live in an isolated spot when you are gettiing older). I dscourage those who say "we're in our 20s/30s/40s with a young family, we're fed up with life in the UK and want to move to Spain, we'll need to find work but we'll turn our hand to anything" because I don't think they have any real idea of just how hard that will be given the unemployment situation in Spain.
wonderful post.....

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I have no desire to live in Spain full time but I don't spend my time "sitting on the sofa" watching Corrie. Neither does anyone else I know. If that is what you do then you will probably find yourself doing the same in Spain especially during the dark winter months. Most take their baggage with them. I know some who still eat "tea" at 6pm.:D

·
Registered
15,748 Posts
We did it too - our situation was very similar to Lynn's. I didn't discover the existence of expat forums until a couple of years after moving here permanently, but fortunately we had a couple of good friends here who helped us through the bureaucracy. We've never had any regrets and our money has lasted much longer than we thought it would, but we always plan for the worst case scenario.

After a few years on here I can usually tell the posters who just want to move to Spain because they are sick of their lives in the UK. That's not a sound basis for upping sticks and emigrating, especially if you have children. A change of location doesn't alter who you are; you need to come to terms with what's making you miserable, and the weather isn't a good enough answer. They are just setting themselves up for disappointment.

·
Registered
624 Posts
We are nearly there , completed on the house and ferry booked for Nov 18th this year with a dog friendly cabin on the Bilboa crossing, we planned this for a number a years and seriously planned for the last 2 , it took around 18 months to find the right house , we have been learning Spanish for the last 3 years and its getting easier but a long way to go. In May we realised how much better our Spanish was when we had Menu del Dia with no written menu , just a list of things given to us in Spanish from the waiter and we got exactly what we wanted ! We also went and bought the correct battery for my OH's motorbike with no English spoken so we know we can get by. The area we will be living in is rural Spain with little English spoken locally so speaking the language is a must. We did lots of homework and the forum has been useful , I was probably one of those posters who came on with my 'moving to spain' thread and then realised over time on the forum how many of those posts there are ! We are retiring early but have a number of things to do in Spain but are not relying on these to support us, any money we make on these will be a bonus. I plan to start a blog post in the next month or so to track our journey and adventure in Spain , mainly as a kind of diary for me and if its of any use to people thinking about moving an honest story of how it is. We are all looking for different things in Spain but for me I guess its knowing I will have a better quality of life with the funds we have available. No where is perfect but some are better than others.

·
Registered
9 Posts
maureen47 I would be very interested in reading your blog so please let us know when you are up and running. I do read other blogs on other forums where people have made the move to Spain and these do give people food for thought with good and bad experiences. We are currently in the planning stage of our move, looking to finish work and start a new life journey sharing our time between the UK and Spain from Jan 16. Our planning is going well, started to de clutter this week,

Good luck for Nov and I look forward to reading your blog

·
Registered
383 Posts
I arrived in Spain in 2011 after my daughter who is a teacher here told me to emigrate to Spain as I would love it, and I do. I have never been one to plan ahead and I arrived here just 3 weeks after my daughter asked me to with my 7 year old labrador in the back of the car and lived on the 4th floor of an apartment block in the centre of Madrid with no lift, it kept my Labrador really fit but almost killed me. I now live in a beautiful 5 bedroomed house south of Toledo with 1000 square feet of garden and share it with 5 dogs 2 cats 2 turtles and 200 tropical fish, oh and a rabbit called Rick O Shea because he had had so many homes . I teach English for about 20 hours a week and can honestly say that my life is idyllic. I have never been one for planning ahead as life takes so many twists and turns as I realised when my wife died of cancer at age 46 and I raised my 2 kids alone. Just make your dreams a reality, I did.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I first encountered the beautiful Canary Islands in the springtime of 1962, arriving from Trinidad in the Caribbean, for a short stay in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. Who would have thought then, that some 53 years later I would be living here, certainly not me, I was more concerned about the injections that were needed for the next destination, Nigeria.

However that first visit triggered off a sequence of events, starting with winter holidays in Gran Canaria, to exploring the other islands, and eventually in 1995, whilst on La Isla Bonita, La Palma, looking out to sea in a southerly direction, there was this lump of land, El Hierro, it had to be visited. Lots of enquiries with travel agents, revealed to my dismay, that El Hierro, to them, did not exist. A phone call to the Spanish Embassy in London, proved otherwise, and in the October of 1995, we were on our way.

El Hierro, the island, the people, the countryside, the culture, the cuisine, were something different, something special, almost a lifestyle from the 1950's, we just had to return.

We returned, time and time again, and eventually in 2000 we bought our house, completing in 2001.

This place, somewhat re furbished, is now home, at first we used it for winter painting holidays, painting walls mainly in white, but eventually managed to sell the bungalow in Yorkshire, bunged everything in a container and moved here. What relief when at long last the umbilical cord, with mother England was severed, it was a huge weight off our shoulders.

Life here is good, once there were about 17 or 18, from the U.K. and Ireland, but nearly all of those have died or left the island, now there are only five residents from England, and maybe a Scot who plays a trumpet in the middle of town. So friends are the locals and other immigrants from South America, Iberian Spain, Germany, and Africa.

The Las Palmas visit, all those years ago, started me thinking, and we still take great pleasure obtaining a 45 minute flight, and visiting. Maybe more so now, Barcelona and Real Madrid and many others will be there to entertain. :)

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I have no desire to live in Spain full time but I don't spend my time "sitting on the sofa" watching Corrie. Neither does anyone else I know. If that is what you do then you will probably find yourself doing the same in Spain especially during the dark winter months. Most take their baggage with them. I know some who still eat "tea" at 6pm.:D
Like many Spanish do - except they call it "merienda"

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
We moved to Spain in 2008. We didn't do much planning as we weren't looking for work and had financial resources for the lifestyle we wanted. We took retirement from, in the case of my partner, running a medium-sized business and a professional career (me) at a comparatively early age, sold our properties in the UK and Canada and moved to Prague where we spent three interesting years.
We moved to Spain chiefly because my partner found it difficult to be a vegetarian in the Czech Republic.. My son and dil own property here so we moved into their house until we found our own place. I wasn't very happy for the first few months but settled down once we moved into our house and I got to used to things.
I had no 'dreams' of living in Spain, or anywhere, for that matter, as I was happy with my life in the UK. Spain is now our home, we won't be going back to the UK, we get regular visits from family and friends so I can see no reason to go back. When we lived in Prague and for the first couple of years here I used to do regular weekly commutes to London working on an expenses basis for my Trades Union.
I feel totally settled and comfortable here. We have many friends of all nationalities, speak Spanish and are involved in community activities, my partner works with an animal charity, I am involved with politics and a group that works for equal rights for women, LGBT people etc.
If anyone asks me again what I find to do with my time now I'm retired and living in Spain I will hit them.
I like living here very much but I don't see things through rose-tinted lenses. Spain is a country comme les autres. I think that if you are a contented sort of person, have good friends, family and a stable relationship plus of course enough money and reasonably good health you could settle more or less anywhere. If I didn't live here I would happily live in Berlin or Munich.
I think life is more or less what you make it, wherever you are and fully agree with Alcalaina and Lynn: you take your problems with you in your suitcase.... If you can't hack it in the UK, which is much kinder than most countries, you'll fid it hard to survive anywhere.

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Reading through lots of old posts and iften left windering whether they did it or not, whether they made the move to Spwin. Long time members I am sure would have seen hundreds of posters come and go over the years (still sitting on their sofas in old blightly watching Corrie).

So who started off on her with an array of questions and actually did make the move?

And what do the actual expats think of the constant stream of posts about moving that you know aren't going to amount to anything?

I ask as in a few years (hopefully) i would like to look back at my time and contribution to this site and think, wow i did.
I'd like to know how many people "drop out" as well for what ever reason. I think it's only natural to wonder about the people that you've egged on or warned against moving. Inevitably the ones who made it and are happy with their lot are the ones who will tell you about it. The people who decide against Spain often seem to think that people will think they have failed if they say they didn't come, or that they went back but it's the best possible end in many situations

·
Registered
19,395 Posts

Well, here we are, coming up to 9 years since we ignored the doomsayers and moved.
Funny you should say that after all the criticism that posters on this forum get for being "negative"!!:)

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
I arrived in Spain in 2011 after my daughter who is a teacher here told me to emigrate to Spain as I would love it, and I do. I have never been one to plan ahead and I arrived here just 3 weeks after my daughter asked me to with my 7 year old labrador in the back of the car and lived on the 4th floor of an apartment block in the centre of Madrid with no lift, it kept my Labrador really fit but almost killed me. I now live in a beautiful 5 bedroomed house south of Toledo with 1000 square feet of garden and share it with 5 dogs 2 cats 2 turtles and 200 tropical fish, oh and a rabbit called Rick O Shea because he had had so many homes . I teach English for about 20 hours a week and can honestly say that my life is idyllic. I have never been one for planning ahead as life takes so many twists and turns as I realised when my wife died of cancer at age 46 and I raised my 2 kids alone. Just make your dreams a reality, I did.
You have always sounded really happy with your life in Spain
Except
when you had sewerage coming up through your bath!!!

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Like many Spanish do - except they call it "merienda"
True, but merienda isn't a main meal is it? This will be followed by La Cena by the Spanish or those following a Spanish timetable any time between 20:00 and 23:00

1 - 20 of 41 Posts