Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

My wife is Japanese, she originally applied for a Spouse visa in 2011 (she is under the old rules).

We are now applying for a further 2 year extension (we have reasons for this, including not passing the Life in the UK test!).
Unfortunately, I (as her husband) have not yet found work. However, a third party (my father) has offered to provide maintenance.
This is acceptable as we are under the 'old immigration rules'.

On the FLRM form there is a section about the 'sponsor'.
The form and entire section 6 seems to assume that the sponsor 'is the spouse', and asks questions about living with and being married to the sponsor and so on.

My questions are:

#1 Is it I (the husband) who is the sponsor? Or my father? Who will be financially supporting my wife?
#2 If my father is the sponsor, then section 6 will look very odd, it will look like she is the spouse of her father-in-law!
Will a covering letter explaining that my wife is applying on the basis of the old rules, and that I am her husband do to explain my answers to
Section 6?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
You are still the sponsor.
Your father is the third-party or external support. Ask him to write a letter offering to support financially, with at least three months' worth of bank statement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ur main sponsor is ur wife. Ur father is ur co sponsor. Hence u need a sponsorship declaration from both means ur wife and ur father. The sponsorship declaration should be JP signed

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Ur main sponsor is ur wife. Ur father is ur co sponsor. Hence u need a sponsorship declaration from both means ur wife and ur father. The sponsorship declaration should be JP signed
That is an option, not an absolute requirement, as stated in the guidance notes. Normally what I have outlined is sufficient, and only in some difficult cases a formal sponsorship undertaking by an external support becomes desirable or requisite, especially when such a support becomes necessary long-term.

It is open to the caseworker to ask a third party offering long-term support to become a joint sponsor and to give an undertaking (under paragraph 35 HC 395) to underwrite his commitment.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/s.../idischapter8/section1/annexf.pdf?view=Binary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts