Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and hello,

My name is Shelly and I married my English husband in December and hope to move there this summer. I am working on Visa applications for myself and my daughter. It is clear to me that my husband is my sponsor but less clear to me who to put for my daughter's sponsor since he is not her father. Our plan is for him to adopt her but we haven't done that yet. So... do I put that he is her sponsor even thought there is not a legal relationship between them? Or am I the sponsor? The directions say "the sponsor is the parent or relative you will live with" but this isn't particularly helpful to me in trying to figure this out. I want to get it right (obviously) so if anyone has done this or has insight it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Shelly

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi and hello,

My name is Shelly and I married my English husband in December and hope to move there this summer. I am working on Visa applications for myself and my daughter. It is clear to me that my husband is my sponsor but less clear to me who to put for my daughter's sponsor since he is not her father. Our plan is for him to adopt her but we haven't done that yet. So... do I put that he is her sponsor even thought there is not a legal relationship between them? Or am I the sponsor? The directions say "the sponsor is the parent or relative you will live with" but this isn't particularly helpful to me in trying to figure this out. I want to get it right (obviously) so if anyone has done this or has insight it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Shelly
Hello Shelly, I and my daughter submitted our Visa applications last week, i would say that your husband (the step father to your child) should be your childs sponser, not you. Good luck. We are in the waiting period now. Hope we get a positive outcome for me and my child.....what are you including in your childs application?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was told by Joppa, that I was to be the sponsor of my child and my fiancee is my sponsor. So that is what I did
Ok, Mist, got you....well we are not sure who is right and wrong, maybe it goes either ways no one knows, I submitted my application some time last week with my childs and waiting now, I will let you know what happens when I get an answe. So what did you include in your childs application? How long ago did you submitt yours?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I submitted April 3, i included everything showing I am her sole caretaker and birth certificate showing I am the only parent listed as well as letters from family, pics of her lovely room in the UK, pics of her with my fiancee and his mum enjoying all the things we did in England.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks you two. My assumption was that I would probably be her sponsor. It is slightly confusing that the two of you did two different things. I'll be interested to hear back from you when you get your visas. Please do post back and let me know.

Mistbound4england, please also let me know when you hear back if the birth certificate showing you as the only parent was enough information for them. This is our case as well (sperm donor) but it is something I've worried about.

Still getting everything together and hope to get it all off by next week. Thanks to you both and I would love to hear from anyone else in the same situation, especially as I got two replies with two different answers...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks you two. My assumption was that I would probably be her sponsor. It is slightly confusing that the two of you did two different things. I'll be interested to hear back from you when you get your visas. Please do post back and let me know.

Mistbound4england, please also let me know when you hear back if the birth certificate showing you as the only parent was enough information for them. This is our case as well (sperm donor) but it is something I've worried about.

Still getting everything together and hope to get it all off by next week. Thanks to you both and I would love to hear from anyone else in the same situation, especially as I got two replies with two different answers...
I just got the email that reads "your visa has been issued". I applied recently and followed both the advice of joppa and the information provided by ukba-I am my daughters sponsor. I am responsible as her biological parent and she is supposed to be sponsored by the parent settled or planning to settle in the UK.

My husband sponsored me as his wife.

I have sole responsibility of my daughter and her biological father opted out of signing her birth certificate also-so no legal custody paperwork etc.

Cost me $20 to have a letter notarized re: sole responsibility and I had additional information/supporting documents.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MLH, What other supporting documents did you provide for your daughter? And the letter stating you had sole responsibility... who wrote that and how did you prove it apart from being the only parent on the birth certificate? Thank you so much. I thought our situation was more unique than it apparently is and I am so glad to have someone to ask.

·
Registered
78 Posts
MLH, What other supporting documents did you provide for your daughter? And the letter stating you had sole responsibility... who wrote that and how did you prove it apart from being the only parent on the birth certificate? Thank you so much. I thought our situation was more unique than it apparently is and I am so glad to have someone to ask.
Sole Responsibility thread and wording I used when I wrote it up

Also-depending on the age of your child, you may or may not be able to offer the same supporting documents that I did, but here it is:

My daughter is a teen, so we were able to get a printed copy of our school profile that listed both my husband and I as parents/emerg contact, with our address and phone numbers, etc.

We sent a copy of her bank records and transactions we had between our accounts and hers.

We had a family cellphone plan with all 3 phones that were in constant contact with each other and offered records of that.

We had a legal name change certificate for her-she took my husbands last name when we got married instead of keeping my maidan name and we have been planning this move long enough that we were able to show that everything had been changed over to that last name etc...

We sent in letters of recommendation for specialized art schools, volunteer opportunities, and her acting resume etc. Also, where it asked about financial information on the application form-it was supposed to be my details, but when it asked about whether she planned to work, I answered the question for both of us agreeing that she would like to work as soon as possible (she works part time in Canada at 13!)...

Fathers day/birthday/christmas cards from her to my husband (we've been together and married for quite a while now, but living together in Canada) and photographs of them together/us as a family at events, family gatherings, family vacations, etc.

If I can think of anything else, I will let you know. Feel free to ask questions, if you want more details. I am happy to help.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks MLH, That link was useful. My daughter is 4 so I don't have most of the documents you suggested but I am her only parent on the birth certificate. I might try to get in touch with the Endocrinologist who did the inseminations - surely a letter from them would be evidence that I am her sole parent? Thanks, too, for affirming that I will be her sponsor. Every time I think I have this figured out I discover 3 new things that we need to do that I hadn't thought of. It is so nice to have people who have been through it to consult with.

·
Registered
78 Posts
In your particular case, it may be useful to have something from the dr's, but I am going to guess that an explanation alongside your birth certificate and a notarized sole responsibility statement would be enough.

I got a little stuck on whether I should include the bio-fathers name etc on the application when it asked for both parents details, but as he wasn't listed on the birth certificate and isn't named in anything else regarding my daughter, I added a note to explain and said "unknown".

·
Registered
102 Posts
In your particular case, it may be useful to have something from the dr's, but I am going to guess that an explanation alongside your birth certificate and a notarized sole responsibility statement would be enough.

I got a little stuck on whether I should include the bio-fathers name etc on the application when it asked for both parents details, but as he wasn't listed on the birth certificate and isn't named in anything else regarding my daughter, I added a note to explain and said "unknown".
My case is abit different because the father to my child is also on her birth certificate, but I managed to get a notarized consent letter from the father and also he did a cover letter to show that i am my daughters guardian and put in other reasons why he consented. I and my daughter has stayed in Italy before for 3 years, so I put this down and i photocopied the visas for our past travel history...so maybe this was enough, I can never be sure until I get her visa approved? What do you think?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow. Thank you so much to all of you who answered.

I am filling it out that I am her sponsor and enclosing her birth certificate (which is blank in the "father" place) and a letter from my fertility doctor verifying that she was conceived via an anonymous sperm donor and artificial insemination.

I really appreciate the help and thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.