Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are planning to retire to Portugal eventually but are not ready yet.
We have recently purchased a house. Can anyone tell us if we are allowed to buy a car in Portugal even if we are not currently resident there? We currently live in The Netherlands.

Thanks Moni

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Yes, you just need a Fiscal number which you have as you've bought a house, also simplifies things having an address for car registration & insurance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks

Hi, Many thanks for your quick response. I guess that means that you do not have to be a resident in Portugal to be entitled to purchase a vehicle? Greetings Moni

Yes, you just need a Fiscal number which you have as you've bought a house, also simplifies things having an address for car registration & insurance

·
Registered
2 Posts
cars are very expensive in portugal, if you become a resident you are allowed to register your a car for free onto portuguese registration, as long a syou have owned it for 6 months previously, but this also has to be done within a given time of becomming a resident, wish i had know this when i became a resident

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
cars are very expensive in portugal, if you become a resident you are allowed to register your a car for free onto portuguese registration, as long a syou have owned it for 6 months previously, but this also has to be done within a given time of becomming a resident, wish i had know this when i became a resident
It's 12 months ownership not 6 months:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts