Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the main applicant for a visa, can my partners sister who is an Aus citizen sponsor me?

I think so, but "the relative or the relatives partner you want to sponsor must be your child, parent, brother, sister etc" makes no sense.

Do they mean "the relative must be your child, parent, brother, sister etc, and you can sponsor the relative directly or sponsor the partner (who you have no family relation to) of that relative"?

---

You can sponsor an eligible relative for this visa if:

you are at least 18 years of age
you live in a designated area of Australia
you are an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
The relative or the relative’s partner you want to sponsor must be your:

child or stepchild
parent or step-parent
brother, sister, adoptive brother, adoptive sister, stepbrother, step sister, niece, nephew, adoptive niece, adoptive nephew, step niece, step nephew, aunt, uncle, adoptive aunt, adoptive uncle
grandparent or first cousin.
Your sponsor should provide certain documents as listed in the document checklist.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi fmuk,

yes, your partner's sister can sponsor you if your occupation code is on the SOL and if the sister lives in one of the dedicated areas for 489 visas. That what "the relative or the relative's (= your partner) partner(=you) you want to sponsor must be your child, parent, brother, sister etc" is supposed to mean. The wording is a bit unfortunate...

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
espresso said:
Hi fmuk, yes, your partner's sister can sponsor you if your occupation code is on the SOL and if the sister lives in one of the dedicated areas for 489 visas. That what "the relative or the relative's (= your partner) partner(=you) you want to sponsor must be your child, parent, brother, sister etc" is supposed to mean. The wording is a bit unfortunate... Cheers, Monika
Thanks.

It reads like I have to marry my sister!!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Announcement

Due to a large number of outstanding applications there will be no invitations for subclass 489 – Skilled Regional (Provisional) until further notice. This change will be implemented from the 16 December 2013 invitation round.

This is on DIBP site :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts