Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
If you like the new Spanish language thread you may like this also.
Fewer people are whistling in Cuicatlán district of Oaxaca
The video included in the article is really interesting but, unfortunately, (for me) it freezes. I found it elsewhere and enjoyed it greatly.
The weather looked all too familiar to an ol' PNWer like me!
I can't whistle! Many people have tried to teach me, all without success. I wonder if I had grown up in this culture, would I have been able to learn. I think most likely, unless the inability is physiological. I found the video fascinating. While the whistled speech is disappearing quite quickly, apparently there is a corresponding spoken Chinanteco. In fact, only the boys and men use the whistled speech. (So there would have been no need for me to learn it, after all!) Whistling allows communication over greater distances, up to several miles.

One fact that surprised me is that Oaxaca is home to as many languages as Europe. Amazing! Thank you for posting this, mattoleriver.

·
Registered
501 Posts
If you like the new Spanish language thread you may like this also.
Fewer people are whistling in Cuicatlán district of Oaxaca
The video included in the article is really interesting but, unfortunately, (for me) it freezes. I found it elsewhere and enjoyed it greatly.
The weather looked all too familiar to an ol' PNWer like me!
Fascinating article. Aside from bone fide linguistic uses, whistling seems to be a fast-disappearing art everywhere. I've always enjoyed whistling while walking down the street, but these days I'm more likely to get "what the hell's wrong with you?" looks.....and my whistling's not all that bad. Sign of the times that most folks don't appear to be particularly happy these days?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts