Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a UK citizen, currently living in the USA with my UK born son, and my husband, a US citizen. We are wanting to move back to the UK, my husband too, and wondering what the best route to do this would be.
My husband will be looking to study in the UK, and receives the post 9/11 GI Bill to fund this, so that's not an issue. However, would the fact that he is married to a UK citizen raise a red flag and risk his application being denied?
As I am living in the US, and am not eligible to work here as of yet (currently still on visa terms), I am not drawing in an income. My husband works part time and is also studying. We have a small amount of savings, but nothing close to what is required for the Spouse Visa.
I am aware that the above visa is currently undergoing review, in terms of the financial requirement.
My question is, which visa do we apply for? Study or Spouse? My husband will be studying regardless of which route he takes, which is why we would prefer to go with the easier, quicker study route.
As I am willing to return to the UK before my husband moves there, is he able to also apply for a family visit visa to travel with me? Our son is 1 years old and with all of our luggage etc, I do not wish to do the long flight back to the UK alone.
Finally, I am wondering, if on a study visa, a US citizen would be required to wait until 1 month prior to study before moving to the UK, is there any way he would be eligible to move sooner? Would he be able to get both a family visit visa, and study visa, at the same time? And use one after the other?
Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
17,984 Posts
Since you aren't working in the US and you don't have the required amount of savings in order for your husband to apply for a spouse visa you would have to return to the UK on your own, get a job earning at least £18,600/year and after you have had the job for 6 months and have 6 pay slips which are at least £1550/month then you husband can apply for a spouse visa from the US.

US citizens don't generally need to apply in advance for visit visas.

He can only have 1 visa at a time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thanks.

Is he eligible to apply for a study visa?
Also, I've found that, since we are married, he is not eligible under the visa waiver program and would need a family visit visa even to just travel there for a short time.

·
Super Moderator
17,984 Posts
The UK doesn't have a visa waiver program. That's a US thing. Unless he has a negative immigration history in the UK he can usually visit the UK without applying for a visa beforehand.
Provided he is accepted into a degree program and can fund his studies he can apply for a student visa.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.