Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a repost, but I haven't seen anything addressing this question specifically.

My husband and I are South African citizens and we arrived in Paris two months ago on long stay visas. My husband is on a Scientific visa, and I am (or will) be on a Vie Privee et Familiale. My husband has been asked by his HR department to provide his birth certificate (translated) asap - I think for his Social Security application. And I will need to provide one with my dossier for the prefecture, whenever that happens. We both have our original birth certificates from South Africa - hand written - which we thought would be okay until someone suggested we may need the unabridged birth certificates, and recent ones at that (i.e. not more than 3 months old). But we can't seem to get any clarity on what's exactly required from the prefecture or from my husband's HR. Getting unabridged birth certificates from our consulate in Paris or our home affairs department in South Africa will take at least 3 months!!!

Can any South Africans living in France advise on this, or is there a general standard of what type of birth certificate is required??

Many thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi Tree!
Now bear in mind, I'm not a South African citizen but I was married to one. I had to get his birth certificate for Italy and they wanted a long-form (same as unabridged). Best thing to do is contact a relative at home, if you have one. This is what we did. They can order by phone or mail or go in person the registrar office in your city of birth. We had his father do it for us.
Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.