Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just a quick one....I'm currently relocating to Spain and am required to open a Spanish bank account in order to purchase my property.

I've lived in Spain before and used BBVA and to be honest wasn't too keen on them. What I'm after is the following:

• Good Online Banking
  • Cheap or free transfers from UK (as need to send house money)
  • Cheap monthly usage
  • Easy to open/manage

Thanks in advance for all your help,
Danny

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Use a currency dealer to transfer your money, better rate of exchange, no commission for large amounts, banks for transfers are a rip off.

Re Spanish banks, all about the same, pick the one nearest to home.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Hi,

Just a quick one....I'm currently relocating to Spain and am required to open a Spanish bank account in order to purchase my property.

I've lived in Spain before and used BBVA and to be honest wasn't too keen on them. What I'm after is the following:

• Good Online Banking
  • Cheap monthly usage
  • Easy to open/manage

Danny

... as a resident, IMHO you can't beat Sabadell and their expansion account. It's worth Googling.

Your other post suggests that you won't be resident though - If you are, then you can't run a UK plated car here. If you aren't, then you need a non-resident account which will cost you (as in it's not free).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, I won't be a resident. It is simply a holiday home which I will be frequenting for maybe 3/4 months a year.

I will defo use a currency broker, I was just talking more to do with the bank charging for receiving from GBP.

Thanks,
Danny

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Yep, I won't be a resident. It is simply a holiday home which I will be frequenting for maybe 3/4 months a year.

I will defo use a currency broker, I was just talking more to do with the bank charging for receiving from GBP.

Thanks,
Danny
I don't think in general they charge, Caixa doesn't charge me, neither did BBVA. I wait until the rate is in my favour, like now, then transfer a lump sum. Re GPB the broker changes that into Euros, then sends it to my bank out here.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Banco Popular doesn't charge me for receiving payments into the account either (it didn't when I had a non-resident account, either).

I think they do charge for an amount of €50,000 or over, though, eg for a house purchase. Might be best to split it into a number of smaller transactions to avoid these charges.

To exchange from sterling to euros and transfer the funds I use Currency Fair, who charge a flat fee of €3 per standard transfer irrespective of the amount. They give a much better rate than a high street bank would - if the exchange rate was €1.4050 you would get €1.40 from them, maybe slightly more for a big amount.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Sounds good thanks a lot.

Do Banco Popular have online banking?

Just to confirm, it would be a non residents account
Yes, they have online banking, I think all the major Spanish banks do although you may have to specify that you want it when opening the account. I certainly used online banking with a non-resident account from Banco Popular for a number of years before we moved here permanently, and you can set the language to English (although learning the Spanish terms can help towards your Spanish language skills:)).

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hi,

• Good Online Banking
  • Cheap monthly usage
  • Easy to open/manage

Danny
For money transfers from the UK, take a look at this link: https://transferwise.com/u/95496a
This link gives a promotional offer that can save you a fortune. The company is backed by Sir Richard Branson and gives the best exchange rates I have ever found. I use them regularly and the service is superb. As for Spanish banks, they are all thieves! We opened our first Spanish account with Bancaja, which became Bankia after the crash in 2008. Good online but, like all Spanish banks these days, they charge you for everything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We recently opened an account with Banco Sabadell, very good communication before we arranged to visit the Branch, account opened with 15o euros and proof of identity of course.

We are now transferring regular amounts via Transferwise, there is a small handling charge per transaction but the rates are mega competitive, completing the transfers within a day or so.

·
Registered
183 Posts
like others on here i would use sabadell. easy to use online banking, english speaking staff and less of a rip off than some of the others.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Use of Transfer Wise

Transfer Wise charge half a per cent on any transfer value....
today we transferred £4,999.00 the fee was £24.87 and received 6,480.47 euros...an exchange rate of 1.40335

This was the 7th transfer we have arranged and all done online so we can track rates pretty much 24 hours per day....you can cancel before the transaction has been released so all in all a very good service.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Transfer Wise charge half a per cent on any transfer value....
today we transferred £4,999.00 the fee was £24.87 and received 6,480.47 euros...an exchange rate of 1.40335

This was the 7th transfer we have arranged and all done online so we can track rates pretty much 24 hours per day....you can cancel before the transaction has been released so all in all a very good service.
I got €1.4050 yesterday with Currency Fair, for a transfer of under 1K. The fee was €3 - and it would have been exactly the same €3 to transfer 5k or 50K.

I made the transfer shortly before 5pm UK time and the funds were received in my Spanish bank account this afternoon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts