Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so My husband is a UK national, I am a US national. We are living in the US. We want to move to the UK together in July (if this story sounds familiar, I have told it before, so I apologize). I have been trying to figure out which form to fill out which will allow me a visa to live in the UK with my husband? We have been married for 24 years - not sure if that makes a difference?

Thank you so long for the response.

·
Registered
39,156 Posts
Okay so My husband is a UK national, I am a US national. We are living in the US. We want to move to the UK together in July (if this story sounds familiar, I have told it before, so I apologize). I have been trying to figure out which form to fill out which will allow me a visa to live in the UK with my husband? We have been married for 24 years - not sure if that makes a difference?
As a US applicant, you don't have a paper form to complete but you apply online. Go to http://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/ApplyNow.aspx, answer a few questions and give personal details, and choose appropriate visa (spouse or wife of a settled person).

The online form closesly follows the paper form VAF4A, which you can download by clicking on the right-hand side of
UK Border Agency | Applying from outside the UK

·
Registered
258 Posts

Thank you so long for the response.
Just a small addition to Joppa's fantastic answer...since you are married for 24 years and I assume you will be submitting for Spouse visa soon...in your cover letter I strongly suggest to request for KOL-REQ endorsement on your passport. This is provided, at the UKBA's discretion, to anyone been married for 4+ years and have been living abroad for at least this number of years. The advantage of doing so is that it allows you to apply for Permanent Residence (Indefinite Leave to Remain) in the UK as soon as you complete the Life-In-The-UK test when arriving in the United Kingdom. This saves you 2 years from having to wait for applying for ILR. I guess I am only pointing this out as this is what we successfully requested for my wife in our cover-letters :)

·
Registered
39,156 Posts
Just a small addition to Joppa's fantastic answer...since you are married for 24 years and I assume you will be submitting for Spouse visa soon...in your cover letter I strongly suggest to request for KOL-REQ endorsement on your passport. This is provided, at the UKBA's discretion, to anyone been married for 4+ years and have been living abroad for at least this number of years. The advantage of doing so is that it allows you to apply for Permanent Residence (Indefinite Leave to Remain) in the UK as soon as you complete the Life-In-The-UK test when arriving in the United Kingdom. This saves you 2 years from having to wait for applying for ILR. I guess I am only pointing this out as this is what we successfully requested for my wife in our cover-letters :)
KOL REQ is almost automatic if you meet all other requrements and you have been married 4 years or more. Requesting it won't influence their decision one way or the other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.