Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all.
We are planning our first trip at the end of this year and I want to try to get maximum required documents to not waist time for that when we actually come to settle and will be busy looking for a job.

As per my understanding we need the following:

1. Bank account.
2. Local driving license or Photo ID.
3. Medicare card (health insurance).
4. Opal card (public transport).
5. TRN number (for taxation).
6. Any specific documents depending on profession. For us that should be White Card.

Anything I missed? Please suggest.

Reactions: verynewuser

·
Registered
23 Posts
If those numbers are an order, then you'll need an address before opening a bank account. One of the first things I'll do is getting a local SIM card. This sticked topic has a bunch of useful advice:
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...r-threads-things-do-before-after-arrival.html
From it you can read about Centrelink, Private Health Insurance (on which I took a peak and I got lost. Choose the one for you now, if you want) and so on.

Other documents, which I consider will be useful in our profession are:
HLTAID003 Provide First Aid
RIW / Pegasus card
Working With Children

And if you plan to become a Registered Surveyor, check out BOSSI. You can get an assessment from overseas, which even helps in your job search, as I saw one company required it.
Pathway to registration - Board of Surveying and Spatial Information of NSW
It makes quite the difference on your salary after you get this one.

You can also become an overseas member of The Institution of Surveyors NSW
https://www.surveyors.org.au/files/ISNSW_Membership_Application_Form_2017-2018_REV.pdf

I'll also consider registering with AusSearch, if it so happens that I work with cadastre:
https://www.aussearch.net/about-aussearch-1

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
Yep, I checked BOSSI already. Not sure yet whether to go for it or now. Btw I am engineering surveyor, little far from cadastr. Will think about it after we settle there.
About private insurance I heard on another forum (russian-speaking) from lady who tells she is a doctor that its mostly wasting of money because they are able to provide basic service but in case if you need serious treatment or surgery still they will send you in government hospital. Its better first to see whats happening in public hospitals (like queues etc) and then decide if it worth it or no.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks.
About private insurance I heard on another forum (russian-speaking) from lady who tells she is a doctor that its mostly wasting of money because they are able to provide basic service but in case if you need serious treatment or surgery still they will send you in government hospital.
The Russian speaking lady was wrong on many accounts. For starters, that's not what private health insurance in Australia is about. To keep it simple for you: you are exempt from the LHC for the first 12 months you are in Australia as a PR, so no need to worry about private health insurance yet. Basically, after the age of 30 you pay a penalty for not having private health insurance (hospital cover).

If you have private hospital cover you can have surgery in a private hospital or as a private patient in a public hospital. The alternative, using medicare alone, is only public hospital and you are subject to waiting times (someone told me they had to wait several months for a hip replacement; I have no way to verify if that was true or not).

Private health insurance does NOT provide "basic service". On the contrary - you use Medicare for that. It's an insurance - if you need a surgery or some serious treatment, you can be better taken care of (faster treatment, private hospital, etc.) There are also tax reasons to consider it (LHC, which I mentioned above) and also it is partly subsidised by the government in the form of a rebate, depending on your income.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You're welcome :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts