Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
I am in a happy sort of shock.
Hubby got offered a job in Australia, but they told him to choose the City!!
I am a SAHM with 2 little girls, we like warm weather but not too hot or humid.
We will not be on a massive salary, so somewhere where the cost of property and living is reasonable is great.
HELP!! CONFUSED>>>>>
Thanks

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi,

I will not be of great help, but this how we decided:

Sidney - too big, too expensive.

Perth - too isolated and we love travelling and be closer to other cities, Asia, etc.

Melbourne or Brisbane - we sent hubby there to visit and film. (I didn't go because we have 3 young children who would slow the visit down and NO way I would go without my kids on a holiday).

Hubby loved both, Melbourne more European in it's live style and Brisbane more relaxed and a bit cheaper.

In the end we decided on Brisbane, but because Brisbane is sub-tropical (humid in the summer) and Melbourne is Mediterranean (4 defined seasons), we have decided that if Brisbane turns out to be too hot for us, we are moving to Melbourne.

Good luck on your decision!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hello
thanks for that info.
Hubby lived in Aus for a year before he met me and loved it, BUT never went to Perth. So far i have been watching Phil Spencer's Down under programmes, looking at the vegetation. I will look at the weather charts too. Ho hummmmm
Thanks again

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I would say Adelaide or Melbourne. I personally love Sydney but the expense scares away alot of new migrants. Main large cost in Sydney is housing (buying or renting), however Melbourne and Brisbane are fast catching up in this regard and I think only Adelaide still has what I call 'reasonable' pricing for Real Estate.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks,,,,
Adelaide is not an option, as the office don't work there.
one sleepless night and still no closer to a decision.... HELP
thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi everyone.
I am in a happy sort of shock.
Hubby got offered a job in Australia, but they told him to choose the City!!
I am a SAHM with 2 little girls, we like warm weather but not too hot or humid.
We will not be on a massive salary, so somewhere where the cost of property and living is reasonable is great.
HELP!! CONFUSED>>>>>
Thanks
we like warm weather but not too hot or humid
Then Brisbane or Dawin is out for humidity, and Perth can get 2-3week stretches of 35C days in a row.[/QUOTE]

This cancels out Sydney.

There are only two cities left considering you can't move to Adelaide. Canberra or Melbourne, I live in Melbourne and I love it, Canberra is apparently a very nice little place, but it would be quite boring.

I understand hating the humidity, but as long as you get a house with Air conditioning, Perths heat can be tolerated (plus the beaches are awesome).

So I would recommend Perth or Melbourne.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
melbourne is looking good today......
35 and himid is ok, we used to live in 55 and 99% humid, it was awful..
still Melbourne is looking food today,,, let's see how i feel about it all tomorrow....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts