Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am applying to join my husband, who is a British citizen, in the UK. I have never held a British visa before. On the settlement page of gov.uk, it says

Eligibility
You need to have been living in the UK with a ‘partner of a settled person’ visa for:

2 years if you applied for your visa before 9 July 2012

there is no option on the application site for "partner of a settled person" or "join family in the UK" - only "settlement". Do I choose settlement?

I will appreciate any help! :)

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
The "settlement" section refers to the requirements on applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain (commonly called "settlement").

The spouse visa itself is called a "settlement" visa because the intent is to eventually settle (reside permanently) in the UK. After five years in the UK on a spouse visa you can apply for Indefinite Leave.

·
Super Moderator
18,106 Posts
My husband only receives pay slips via e-mail. So, he only has a pdf to send me of his pay.
Is that alright for me to print out and send with my application?
No. They each need to be authenticated by his employer. With few exceptions, all documents must be original or authenticated by the issuer as original.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I need to book my biometric appointment on visa4uk site.

It says: Your Visa Application Form, supporting documents, passport/ travel document and your stamped biometric appointment confirmation form should be mailed to the relevant Decision Making Centre within TWO weeks of your biometric appointment.

Does that mean I must ship it after my appointment? Because, how could I bring my passport to the appointment, if I've mailed it?

really need some urgent advice on this!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
another issue. first the site says all I need is my booking confirmation and passport. Now, after i've paid, it says
"When attending your appointment you must take your printed appointment confirmation, printed application, supporting documents and the appropriate fee (unless already paid online)"

so I need to bring all my supporting documents to the appointment? I'm applying from the US, for what it's worth

·
Registered
96 Posts
Take all supporting documents as they will most likely process it there, and either forward them or give them back to you to send, they probably just want to go over everything and make sure you have the important stuff

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Take all supporting documents as they will most likely process it there, and either forward them or give them back to you to send, they probably just want to go over everything and make sure you have the important stuff
I've got to send them myself. hopefully they will go over them! I just paid all the fees and it came out to almost 3000 dollars... crazy! it's a lot for me, i'm a student lol. i really can't afford for my application to be refused :fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Trust me I know I'm in the process myself, take them with you so they can approve it if they need to then send it all, you don't want to show up with nothing and then have them turn you away, there's no refunds

·
Super Moderator
18,106 Posts
Applicants from the US send their documents themselves to Sheffield.

Do not take your supporting documents with you. All you need to take is your appointment letter and your passport. In the US biometrics are done by Homeland Security and then forwarded to UKVI. They have nothing to do with the visa process and cannot advise you on anything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Applicants from the US send their documents themselves to Sheffield.

Do not take your supporting documents with you. All you need to take is your appointment letter and your passport. In the US biometrics are done by Homeland Security and then forwarded to UKVI. They have nothing to do with the visa process and cannot advise you on anything.

thanks. unfortunately i've been so busy with working and other things, that i didn't see this post before my biometric appointment! no big deal, my purse was just heavy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have one question - maybe it's not a good question.

I can't seem to understand why everyone is copying all documents. All I need back is my passport.
Can someone explain to me why we should send copies? I would appreciate it.
I've looked over the gov.uk page for "Family visas: apply from outside the UK" as well as the gov.uk guide to supporting documents for my visa type - nowhere has it said send copies.

I plan to mail everything on Monday... so, your replies could be important!!

·
Registered
39,247 Posts
Well, if you genuinely don't want anything other than your passport returned, ok it's your call but what if your application is refused and you need to reapply using some of the documents you have submitted? Without sending a copy, they can retain your originals, though sometimes, perhaps out of the kindness of their hearts, they do return originals having presumably made a copy themselves.
For increasing number of visa application centres, they offer scanning service for a price, where they scan your documents and return them there and then.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.