Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving to Sydney in 3 weeks on a 457! It took a long time for my visa to come through, but eventually it did! I'm very excited, but also a little stressed by all the things I still have to do to get ready. I've been trying to do some research on banking and am wondering if anyone has any advice on which bank or credit union is better than the rest?

Looking for a bank with lots of ATM machines for convenience, with low fees, good customer service. I'll most likely do most of my banking electronically.

Also wondering if there are any $0 annual fee credit cards that offer rewards (either cash or travel points)? From some research I've done, I'm disappointed to see that most credit cards in Australia seem to have some level of annual fee and those that offer rewards have annual fees that are quite high. Perhaps I'm spoiled from being in Canada where every bank and retailer has a line of credit cards with no annual fee...

Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I am moving to Sydney in 3 weeks on a 457! It took a long time for my visa to come through, but eventually it did! I'm very excited, but also a little stressed by all the things I still have to do to get ready. I've been trying to do some research on banking and am wondering if anyone has any advice on which bank or credit union is better than the rest?

Looking for a bank with lots of ATM machines for convenience, with low fees, good customer service. I'll most likely do most of my banking electronically.

Also wondering if there are any $0 annual fee credit cards that offer rewards (either cash or travel points)? From some research I've done, I'm disappointed to see that most credit cards in Australia seem to have some level of annual fee and those that offer rewards have annual fees that are quite high. Perhaps I'm spoiled from being in Canada where every bank and retailer has a line of credit cards with no annual fee...

Thanks for your advice!
For banking I opened an account with Commonwealth Bank. I haven't even moved yet, but have had both a checking & savings account for over a year now. I have been very happy with their service. The interest I earn on my savings account has been fantastic compared to the US. Fees are pretty low for the basic account.

Haven't got a credit card yet, but im sure once I move I will have no problem getting one with Commbank since I have a banking history with them now.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Sunny:

You wont' have too much of a problem opening an account from overseas. I went with HSBC and haves stayed with them while here. Other banks to look at: Commonwealth Bank, Westpac, ANZ, National Bank (the big 4). Then you have other banks that are more regional or not as big but offer some very good offers:
Bankwest, HSBC, Citibank, Bank of Queensland, Bendigo Bank.

As for CC you won't see free offers, mostly you'll see some low interest ones. I eventually went with Westpac Earth+ as I get QANTAS FF points and the fee isn't too bad.

There are certainly other cards out there, so you can have a look around at the various offers. Also it depends on what kind of CC user you are, if you tend to have a regular balance then low rate is what you need and the annual fee will be irrelavent. If you pay off each month then you want the one that gives you most 'points/rewards'.

Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the advice. HSBC looks like they have a no fee day-to-day banking account and have an ATM machine agreement with Westpac. Hopefully that means there's easy access to lots of HSBC/Westpac ATM machines?

I do try to pay the balance so would like my spending to accrue some sort of points -- preferably travel rewards! Will take a look into the Westpac cards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts