Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya all,

We've moved to North Brisbane and are very disappointed to say the curry houses sucks here. Very Pricey but tastes horrible. In a way it's a good hing as doing more home cooking and Anj has sent me loads of new recipes for me to try. but I miss not being able to go to a local curry house. In Redcliffe they like to use the Vinegar generously in the curry dishes. My OH said it might be because of the heat they have to use this. Never tasted vinegar when I went to India so not sure. Hope someone can reflect on this.

Anyone in Brisbane that can recommend a decent curry place? plssss

Also have googled but there's not many Indian grocery shops,hence the over-expensive prices. Does anyone know where you can shop in Brisbane cheaply for spices. OH Did say look into opening one up but it's not my thing....lol

And lastly where are the Indians as I was under the impression that it was going to be like Melbourne, very multi cultured but no-one seems to know. The 2 indian shops I asked at didn't seem to know either. We need more of you guys in North Brisbane... it would be so nice. Not Just Indians but all multi cultures.

xx Satty:love:

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I did see indian bazaar on google sometime back.. lemme speak to a few friends and see what they have to say..

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Ah, a good curry. After 2 years it still eludes me!

Dolly

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Hiya all,

We've moved to North Brisbane and are very disappointed to say the curry houses sucks here. Very Pricey but tastes horrible. In a way it's a good hing as doing more home cooking and Anj has sent me loads of new recipes for me to try. but I miss not being able to go to a local curry house. In Redcliffe they like to use the Vinegar generously in the curry dishes. My OH said it might be because of the heat they have to use this. Never tasted vinegar when I went to India so not sure. Hope someone can reflect on this.

Anyone in Brisbane that can recommend a decent curry place? plssss

Also have googled but there's not many Indian grocery shops,hence the over-expensive prices. Does anyone know where you can shop in Brisbane cheaply for spices. OH Did say look into opening one up but it's not my thing....lol

And lastly where are the Indians as I was under the impression that it was going to be like Melbourne, very multi cultured but no-one seems to know. The 2 indian shops I asked at didn't seem to know either. We need more of you guys in North Brisbane... it would be so nice. Not Just Indians but all multi cultures.

xx Satty:love:
There are none :eek:

Even the jars of curry sauce here are below average tbh :mad:

·
Registered
84 Posts
A friend of mine who has lived in many countries around the world reliably informs me that you can only get good currys in either England or India:D

in two years of living in Australia and following an elusive search the only half decent currys we found were - one on Darling Harbour in Sydney, and the other on the central square in Adelaide. The Adelaide one was recommended to us as 'the best curry in Australia'

however my own curry making skills progressed enourmously so I would recommend finding those grocery shops and cooking tips from Anj it sounds the best hope:)

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
hahahaha ELH, i really want to open a cafe or a restaurant sometime in life. Yeah if someone wants any recipes, feel free to ask, i am more thn willing to share but remember curries in India are authentic and different from what u get around the world. we never buy ready curries from teh mkt, i make everything on my own. and the ingredients are basic, onion, tomato, cumin, garam masala, coriander pwd, turmeric, chilli pwd, oil.. this is all i use and infact this is all we in india use to make curries. for sure no vinegar. hv never used vinegar ever.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Open that cafe Anj - we'll all come, and then you can do cooking courses too!

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
sure thing..

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
rangola i hope so too.. my agent says u work for me (when heknow he is in perth and i will bein ACT) and now i am opening a cafe and taking cookery classes. another friends wants to walk dogs with me :p.. things are different when it all happens, but while we are dreaming, everything looks so good and u have so many options that u can keep dreaming about all the time :)

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Everyone round ELH's house :lol:

Dolly

·
Registered
303 Posts
hahahaha ELH, i really want to open a cafe or a restaurant sometime in life. Yeah if someone wants any recipes, feel free to ask, i am more thn willing to share but remember curries in India are authentic and different from what u get around the world. we never buy ready curries from teh mkt, i make everything on my own. and the ingredients are basic, onion, tomato, cumin, garam masala, coriander pwd, turmeric, chilli pwd, oil.. this is all i use and infact this is all we in india use to make curries. for sure no vinegar. hv never used vinegar ever.
Anj, thanks for the recipes i will have a go asap and let you know how i get on! My question is...how do you get that lovely curry paste texture from the ingredients??? thanks ellisa :D

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
we use onion paste, tomato puree and a bit of cream (if you want it heavier), if you have people coming over, you can add some cashew paste too.. basically, oil, cumin goes in first n then goes the onion paste which needs to be cooked properly, till mild brown color, then u add the tomato puree.. then the spices.. the cream / cashew paste comes in the end.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sure thing..
Only issue is you have to move to Brisbane as I asked first ...hehehe. Just imagine Anj you can go as a mobile restaurant... wow

Mark was trying to talk me into opening a simple indian fast food cafe. Sounded very tempting and even more so after tasting two types of curries from the best restaurants in Redcliffe. I love to cook and so do you.... hmmmm we can always go into partnership. something to think about. But NO vinegar

xx :love::satty

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
hehehehe satty.. let me spend two years in Canberra and then i will come to brisbane :p.. or maybe open one cafe each at canberra and brisbane

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hehehehe satty.. let me spend two years in Canberra and then i will come to brisbane :p.. or maybe open one cafe each at canberra and brisbane
Sounds good. There are so many shops for leasing it's very tempting. If you saw the curry house in Redcliffe you're gonna laugh at how easy it is to open your own. 1st place we went to they seemed to use the microwave alot and the food still came out slightly warm. 2nd one was hilarious. I asked for naan bread they warmed me one of those frozen Shaan parathas and then had the cheek to charge me $2 for it. We used to be able to 20 for approx £6, what a laugh. We could make a killing and still cook properly.

I will have to go back and ask both places why they use vinegar as there's got to be a reason. I'm glad I'm not the only one thats annoyed with the lack of. But at least our cooking skills are going to improve. I've just made lamb curry with rice and it was delicious.... no vinegar hehehe

xx

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
i think they use vinegar to either preserve or use less tomatoes (tomatoes add tangy flavor and since tomatoes are definitely costlier thn vinegar they use vinegar). another reason can be to preserve. since it help keeping food for longer.. i have never heard of anyone use vinegar ever in indian cooking, except for the pickles (that too not every pickle uses vinegar)

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Make friends with Indian Students in Brisbane and then go to their house ... THAT will be the best curry house in Brisbane.

TBH I think Malaysia is the closest place to get 'good' curries like you're thinking about.

But joking aside I found Billus in Harris Park (suburb of Sydney) has a decent set of curries (closest to home cooked).

·
Registered
303 Posts
we use onion paste, tomato puree and a bit of cream (if you want it heavier), if you have people coming over, you can add some cashew paste too.. basically, oil, cumin goes in first n then goes the onion paste which needs to be cooked properly, till mild brown color, then u add the tomato puree.. then the spices.. the cream / cashew paste comes in the end.
Anj...you say onion paste!!! how the hell do you make that..god i am slacking lately, is it just loads of fried onions that go to a paste?? thanks hun :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts