Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
Just joined the forum hoping to get good insights on moving to Sydney.

We will be posted to Australia next month. We've been to Sydney 3 times and loved it.
My husband's office is in Blacktown and we are looking for areas to live in around the CBD area - either north of the bridge (lower north shore - Mcmahon's, Kirribilli, Mosman) or south of the bridge (Woolloomoolloo, Darlinghurst, CBD, Balmain) .

I was wondering if there is a big difference in terms of traveling time to Blacktown if we are living North or South of the bridge. My husband will have a car and he doesn't mind the daily drive to Blacktown.

My question is: would it be more advantageous (faster highway and easier drive time) if we were living North (Kirribilli, Mcmahons etc) or South (Woolloomoolloo, Darlinghurst, Balmain etc) of the bridge to get to Blacktown? From what i've read, peak hour traffic to CBD is nuts, the good thing though is he will be going against the traffic.

We prefer to stay close to the CBD rather than live in a suburb near Blacktown. We don't have children so school and family parks are not a consideration. However if you do have suggestions other than CBD area but convenient to Blacktown, that would be most appreciated. Good area, village feel, proximity to grocers, markets, and a few cafes would be nice.

Your thoughts please.
Thanks alot. :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
My opinion south is better. Since you have no kids you would life bars/caffees and nightlife south offers. North is more of a family hotspot. I would go with Randwick/Rosebery/Darlinghurst

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My opinion south is better. Since you have no kids you would life bars/caffees and nightlife south offers. North is more of a family hotspot. I would go with Randwick/Rosebery/Darlinghurst
Thanks Naoto, I'll give Randwick and Rosebery a look.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Going from the south of the harbor to the north side is a breeze in the morning -- everyone is coming in the other way, so you can zip across using the tunnel. I can go from Bondi to the north side of the harbor in about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Going from the south of the harbor to the north side is a breeze in the morning -- everyone is coming in the other way, so you can zip across using the tunnel. I can go from Bondi to the north side of the harbor in about 20 minutes.
Hi adamvagley,

20 minutes across to the north from Bondi - that's good to hear.
In your opinion, to get to Blacktown, which is somewhat 38km west of CBD, is it better to take the M2-M7 motorway on the north side of the bridge passing by Macquarie Park / Winston Hills .... or is it better to take the Victoria-M4 Western Motorway on the south side passing by Parramatta/Harris Park? Which is a faster /easier route? (Wanting to avoid stoplights, busy intersections etc etc) Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi joyfulsun,

The farthest I've had to regularly go during rush hour is North Ryde, which isn't that difficult to get to (about 35-40 mins from Bondi), and I've used the M2.

My guess would be that whether you take the M4 or the M2, if you're coming from any of the suburbs east of the CBD/south of the harbor, you're looking at at least an hour commute if not more.

You might also want to check out public transportation, which isn't great, but is good here. Go to 131500 Transport Infoline - Home which lets you calculate how to get from place to place, and how long it takes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very helpful adamvagley.
When we get there, we'll check out both routes during rush hour and decide which is a better drive. It'll also help us decide in choosing an area to live in. Thanks much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.