Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My husband and I are hoping to relocate to Sydney with our 3 children later in the year (on an employer sponsorship visa). I have done lots of internet and book research and am slowly learning what to expect (I think), the amount of info is overwhelming! So would like some advice from the people living the dream!

Anyway, I am struggling with where we should look to rent as once we are there we will be commited to the area where the children will go to school, so it needs to be the right choice first time! I would be really grateful of any direction on this issue?

Key points are, ideally within 45 minutes commute to Sydney CBD, obviously a family orientated suburb with plenty to do,good schools, and if it's not too much to ask, near a beach? :), oh and middle of the range rental prices, Does such a place exhist?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi:

You'd need to look at two main parts of Sydney, the Northern Beaches and the Eastern Suburbs. The main issue would be rental pricing. As they have all the other desirable traits you seek their rentals will reflect that so it would be middle to higher rather than lower.

That said here are a few suburb names to get your started:
N. Beaches
--------------
Dee Why
Frenchs Forest
Beacon Hill
Collaroy

Eastern Suburbs
---------------------
Coogee
Clovelly
Bondi Junction

Hi,

My husband and I are hoping to relocate to Sydney with our 3 children later in the year (on an employer sponsorship visa). I have done lots of internet and book research and am slowly learning what to expect (I think), the amount of info is overwhelming! So would like some advice from the people living the dream!

Anyway, I am struggling with where we should look to rent as once we are there we will be commited to the area where the children will go to school, so it needs to be the right choice first time! I would be really grateful of any direction on this issue?

Key points are, ideally within 45 minutes commute to Sydney CBD, obviously a family orientated suburb with plenty to do,good schools, and if it's not too much to ask, near a beach? :), oh and middle of the range rental prices, Does such a place exhist?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much, that's really helpful. I had looked at Dee Why so nice to see i'm sort of on the right track!I'll have a look at the suburbs you have listed,

Thanks again

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey there, have a look at Rooty Hill, I have stayed there and would love to settle in the area aslo St Marys which is the next town all within easy reach of the city by train.

Can I ask, I am searching for sponsered jobs and not finding it easy, could you guide me? how did your hubby find one was it on a website?

Many Thanks
Heather

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Thanks for the suburb info, he's actually transferring to a company based in Sydney that he used to work for over here, so sorry I don't really have any further ideas of what you could try, I'm leaving that part to him!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I hope I can give you some good advice,

Firstly dont stress on where to live,

Stay in a serviced Apt when you arrive
(somewhere like Coogee(eastern suburbs)Medina apts)
Then you can begin to check out where u want to live
Personally I would stick to the eastern suburbs
Close to city
Excellent transport
close to beaches
close to airport
affordable

Best advice anyone can give you is buy a book on moving to Australia
Go on Amazon uk living and working in Australia(6th edition)David Hampshire
This is the bible and will take away a lot of your stress,
Please feel free to ask any questins

Regards