Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I apologize if this question has been asked time and time again but I'm finding the trawl through Google and other resources a mindfield at the moment.

My Partner and I are considering a move to Australia in the next 12 months but we don't know where to begin. I've found some great websites and I've made contact with an agency called GlobalVisas which was very informative and It seems to make sense to let an agency take care of all the paper work but I'm not sure if I'm ready to hand over the big fees just yet.

I think our best option is the Skilled Migration programme as I have a Degree in Graphic Design with 7 years experience and my profession is on the Skilled Occupation List. My main concern is that it's all a little uncertain if an agency will actually find me a job, depending if my skills match any employers on the database.

I just don't know what the best route to finding the right job is, afterall this is a big commitment and it would be ideal to find a resource for overseas candidates particularly in Design/Media. Seek.au has a good range of current vacancies in my industry but perhaps tailored for Aussies, and I take it not all employers will want to commit to the hassle of employing migrants.

I'm dying to start applying for jobs, get the ball rolling but right now it seems to be a members only club with an agency, pay the fee and get access to "thousands of jobs".

Also I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on the notice currently on IMMI stating that it's not accepting any new applications:

immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/

I really appreciate any advice and a nudge in the right direction would be great

Cheers

Oli

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi olipowell,

there are two things you have to consider:

1.) Getting a visa that allows you to work/live in Australia.
2.) Getting a job.

Those two goals can be perused at the same time by looking for an employer willing to sponsor you towards a visa (Examples: the temporary 457 visa or the Employer Nomination Scheme), but that's not strictly necessary. As graphic designer you potentially qualify for the skilled nominated (subclass 190) visa, where you commit to living in a certain state for two years in return for state support for you application. The best place to start researching the different kinds of visas: SkillSelect

The link you had is old and refers to the old visa subclasses that were replaced by new classes in SkillSelect. So yeah, they are not accepting new applications for those old visa classes but you can apply for the new ones (which are very similar).

I'm dying to start applying for jobs, get the ball rolling but right now it seems to be a members only club with an agency, pay the fee and get access to "thousands of jobs".
That's ******** - pardon my French. Why would companies advertise jobs exclusively in closed systems? Their aim is to get the best candidate for the job, so a broad exposure is desirable. An agent can assist you with the paper work (sample CVs, reference letters, etc.) but you will still get the job on your own merits and have to get through the interview etc. By the way, finding a job from overseas is hard if you don't have a visa yet. Some companies may be willing to sponsor you if they really cannot find somebody in Australia to do your job (which they must demonstrate to the government) - so you'd have to be highly specialized with a very desirable skill set.

Many forum members apply by themselves, without the aid of an agent. You'll have to familiarize yourself with the process anyway, so there is no clear advantage to spend the money on the agency. Exceptions: If your case is "complicated" (e.g. criminal record, former visa applications refused due to visa fraud, you or one of your partner/kids are afflicted with diseases or disabilities that may incur high treatment costs in the future etc.) consulting an agent is recommended. Make sure they are MARA registered, if you decide to go with an agent.

You have better chances by researching potential employers yourself. We started with pages like "Best Places to Work in Australia" to find out what the big ICT market players are. Atlassian, Google, NetApp etc. are large and willing to sponsor from overseas if you match their profile and they encourage direct applications (not through recruitment firms), which is a bonus. Sydney and Melbourne also have a pretty decent start-up community, so if you would be interested to join a small team that would also be an option; google co-working spaces and start-up lists and start applying ;).

Word of warning: It's super hard to get hired while overseas. Prepare a web portfolio/showcase with previous work - that's always a huge bonus. If companies call you back and want to interview you, that's already a huge success. The main advantage of starting the application process now is to build contacts. Even if they don't hire you, you at least know how the recruitment process works and once you are in Australia you can call them and ask "Hey, I'm here now. Are you still interested... " At the time of application you should also know what kind of visa you qualify for. When my partner (also a web developer) started the job hunt we knew we could get a skilled visa with me as the primary applicant or get an employer sponsored visa if somebody wanted to sponsor him. In the end it took the companies too long to go through with the sponsorship, so we got our skilled independent visa and just flew over. But the good thing was, that my partner just showed up at one of the companies he had interviewed with and they hired him straightaway.

Cheers and good luck,
Monika

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Monika,

Thank you so much for the reply! Very helpful. I agree totally, I think it's more that many companies choose to sign up to these networks in addition to the standard recruitment sites to help aid in finding candidates when filling these positions locally isn't going so well, which is a fantastic for migrants. That said, I think there must be a way to find these recruiters without having to pay the fee, or at least explore the list first to see the level of jobs available. For example, here in the UK our Job site called Reed has a page dedicated to Australian Jobs currently listing about 100 positions where the recruiters are specifically looking abroad, and tailored to those in a similar position to us - however there's currently no position for Designers at the moment.

My partner is an Analyst for the Police here in the UK, but has no formal qualification, just excellent experience. So the idea is for me to apply with my Skills.

I'm under no illusion that the job application is any easier than it is in the UK, I'm scared that it's going to be so much harder, which is why I suppose letting an agency match my skills to potential recruiters and set up interviews (which is done remotely) has it's appeals. I think I'm very cautious about moving without a Job offer at this stage particularly with financial responsibilities, otherwise I think we would be less scared of the risks, but we really want to do this so we will find a way!!

I will endeavor to do my research and thank you for the tips. I will continue to apply through the normal means for now with my CV & Portfolio and see what transpires. Another idea is to perhaps negotiate with my current employer to work remotely in Australia for a few months, or while i serve out my notice, but then I'm not sure we can get a Visa without a formal offer of employment.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Excellent advice Monika. I am already doing those activities related to job hunt. Some have replied that they are not hiring at the moment and some have said to email the CV.

As you said, its about building network and let the recruiters know that you are from this profile and interested in working for that organization, etc. That does a lot good for your job hunt.

I have bookmarked and made note of all companies and recruiters and will interact and meet them once I land in OZ.

I am sure one or the other opportunities will be there for everyone, it's just how you approach and present yourselves well!

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi olipowell,

yes, you can get a 190 visa without a job offer from an Australian company - that's not one of the requirements. You should however calculate at least 8 months for the preparations (getting skills assessment, IELTS, all documents etc.) and visa application process (getting an invitation to apply, waiting 2-3 months for a case officer, getting police clearance certificates and medicals etc.). If your current employer would be interested that you assist them with some freelance work, that would be a perfect security cushion for the first couple of months. But as I said, if you are doing some groundwork before you move, you should be able to secure a job pretty quickly. Bringing enough money to live comfortably without an income for 3-6 months is still advisable ;).

Cheers,
Monika

1 - 5 of 5 Posts